It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

Hauptwerk 6 or 7 and Sibelius Ultimate?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Organduo

Hauptwerk 6 or 7 and Sibelius Ultimate?

PostWed Dec 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Can Hauptwerk 6 or 7 work with Sibelius Ultimate software? I'm aware of the previous tutorials about Hauptwerk 4 and Sibelius 6 but can't seem to make it work with Hauptwerk 6 and Sibelius Ultimate. Specifically, Sibelius Ultimate doesn't let me activate Hauptwerk AU Link under Devices list. I'm using MacOS Monterey (Version 12.5.1). Thanks for your feedback!
Vidas Pinkevicius, DMA
Secrets of Organ Playing -
Down-to-earth tips and advice about how to play the organ
www.organduo.lt

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk 6 or 7 and Sibelius Ultimate?

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 5:17 am

Hello Vidas,

There would be no difference between v6 and v7 in terms of platforms/compatibility with the AU/VST Link plug-ins. I have no experience myself with Sibelius Ultimate, and I don't think we've had any feedback from other users on it. I'm not sure whether the AU or VST Links are compatibility with it, but conversely I know of no specific reason that they shouldn't be, since they adhere to the standards (e.g. the AU Link passes Apple's AU validation). Sibelius isn't a host that we officially support or test with for v5+, I'm afraid.

My quick thoughts, in case they're of any help:

- If Sibelius supports both AU and VST plug-ins and you can't get it to work with one of those two formats then you could perhaps try the other.

- If you previously had Hauptwerk v4 installed on the same Mac, or if when you installed macOS you used the macOS installer's wizard to transfer settings and applications from another Mac, then make sure that there no Hauptwerk plug-in files have ended up the following two directories (which used to be used for the v4 plug-in, but not for v5+, and old files there might conflict or be incompatible):
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST
N.B. Those paths are from the drive's root. Manually delete any Hauptwerk files/folders that might have ended up there, e.g. with care from a command prompt using "sudo rm". (Hauptwerk v5+ plug-ins are instead within /Users/<OS-username>/Library/ .)

- The Hauptwerk AU/VST plug-in links only allow a single instance to be loaded, so make absolutely certain that the host isn't trying to load two instances (even temporarily). E.g. try launching the host with a clean project, in case it was opening with a project that already had an instance of the plug-in loaded.

- See also the general notes in the "Hauptwerk AU/VST Link plug-in" section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 264-266 in the current v7.0 version).

- If all else fails, instead of using the AU/VST plug-ins, you could potentially route MIDI from the host to Hauptwerk via macOS' built-in virtual MIDI cable functionality (the IAC Driver).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Organduo

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 10:01 am

Thank you for your detailed feedback! I will test it out with your suggestions!
Vidas Pinkevicius, DMA
Secrets of Organ Playing -
Down-to-earth tips and advice about how to play the organ
www.organduo.lt

mdyde

PostThu Dec 22, 2022 10:07 am

Thanks, Vidas. You're very welcome. Hope something there helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing