It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

Does anyone have a soludion for launchpad mini MK3 LED

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Wayne Grauel

Does anyone have a soludion for launchpad mini MK3 LED

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 6:15 pm

I have a launchpad MK2 that works fine. The only problem is that it's really big to fit on an organ console. I saw the mini mk2 worked so i bought one. This can fit either under the music rack easily or a pull out drawer. Under the music rack is ideal. The only problem is you have no clue what you've activated because I can't get any led response when activating a button. I purchased clear label tape thinking this will be the bee's knee's. As it is it's basically useless to play " live".

I think the mini has been out since the fall of 2019. It's a shame there isn't a work around for this. I can see that the user and programmer modes of this thing probably complicate the process to the point of a piece of hardware that's dedicated to ableton live has grown out of any cross platform applications.

Have any midi gurus come up with any work - arounds to even have a simple white or yellow led respond to
hw's midi out signal ( when a stop or combination is selected)?

Tnx. Wayne

Wayne Grauel

Re: Does anyone have a soludion for launchpad mini MK3 LED

PostSun Feb 26, 2023 6:15 pm

I find it amazing how search results sometimes never give the same result twice.

After all of the searching and finding the thread the lists going into programming mode, and then using "sendmidi" ( which I just downloaded to try that)

After a web search just now, a new search result popped up out of nowhere and it was in the HWforum all along.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19651&p=147929&hilit=LAUNCHPAD+MINI&sid=a083fc4debaf777f810ef75dc66e2f0c#p147378

I'm going to look into this. if anyone has feedback on this procedure LMK

Thanks. Wayne

Wayne Grauel

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 4:33 pm

UPDATE
Using the novation software in the above referenced post I got it to light up and go bright /dim when activation a stop.

The only Glitch is: It behaves lie a mechanical stop action. Any stop activity from the console or captures is not indicated on the mini mk3. So, basically useless.

I'm about done with it unless someone has worked around this problem. I tried using "note on/ off " vs switch on' off but that made no difference.

If someone can't bail me out I'm sending it back. Darned shame too. the size is perfect as the MK2 is about an inch too big to fit where I d really like it to fit.

The ideal thing would be if there was some way to flash this thing to behave like a MK2 or figure out what the MK2 does and how it responds and see if the novation custom software can get the same results. So far, I've tried with one stop and attempting to replicate the mk2 switch functions, but no luck. after all day at this I need to put it down for a while - maybe permanently.

mdyde

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 5:22 am

Hello Wayne,

Hauptwerk doesn't have support for the Launchpad Mini Mk3, but I've sent you a private forum message with a quick thought, in case it helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 4:08 pm

Wayne Grauel wrote:UPDATE
If someone can't bail me out I'm sending it back. Darned shame too. the size is perfect as the MK2 is about an inch too big to fit where I d really like it to fit.

Is possible to reverse your logic? According to your posts, the MK3 has the desired dimensions but fails in functionality. The MK2 works perfectly (I know because I've installed several using a custom keydesk drawer) but is an inch too big? I've found non-working MK2s on eBay for as little as $8 so maybe you could take a chance and see if the case can be modded to fit.

I personally prefer the gray MK2 models as their buttons aren't engraved. I have created kind of standard on the button matrix layout that my clients can easily grasp without having to constantly refer to a printed legend. The best labeling for a Launchpad that I've seen has been a vinyl template from a Cricut machine.

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Grauel

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 11:52 pm

You know what. .. Thats a really good idea. If I'm hearing you right, you're saying to Get a hanger queen and open it up and see if the case can trimmed down by an inch.

There's a slight chance I might be able to squeeze it behind the music rack and between the console - since I don't use the top pads above the 8x8 grid.

Thanks for the reply.
Wayne

Wayne Grauel

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 10:20 am

Martin, kindly send me an email please. I have some info for
you for regarding this topic. I didn't see a contact form or "mailto" on main website.
Thanks. Wayne

magnaton

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 10:45 am

Wayne Grauel wrote:You know what. .. Thats a really good idea. If I'm hearing you right, you're saying to Get a hanger queen and open it up and see if the case can trimmed down by an inch.
Wayne

LOL, Hangor Queen . . . . had to look that one up :wink:

In the meantime check this out to see what they look like inside and how to remove the case. You might be able to shave 3/8" off each side?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUYo_WHeq2I

Good luck and let us know if this fares.

Danny B.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 11:11 am

Wayne Grauel wrote:Martin, kindly send me an email please. I have some info for
you for regarding this topic. I didn't see a contact form or "mailto" on main website.
Thanks. Wayne

Hello Wayne,

I don't have a publicly-accessible email address (I'm not normally involved with support), but if you need to contact us, you can contact Hauptwerk Support via support [at] hauptwerk.com . Francois handles that email address and if there's anything he needs to check with me then he will.
Best regards, Martin.

Wayne Grauel

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 5:23 pm

Martin, ( or any one who knows the answer to this question.

This is a long post but I thougt it would be good for those wondering about uaing the mk3

Hopefully I (we) may get a quick answer to my problem

Novation has reached out to me ( see support email I sent you.)

They provided me with the following information.

It looks like we need to know what midi data is sent out when - for example, having a grid buttons set to the stop jams. I went thru the 8x8 grid on my launch pad MK2 and noted the info using MIDIOX. it looks like the mk2 buttons use note on\off Beginning B(-1) with the bottom left pad. The next.note going across to the bottom row is C-0 and the next button would be C#-0 and continuing up the scale.
Is this midi note data all that the MK2 receives from Hauptwerk. If so, we select the available LED's when we right click, toggle on-off - and then the dialog box to choose (example) yellow low / yellow bright..

How is the midi data for the mk2 LED's transmitted if the "stop" is triggered with a specific midi note on/off . Is there is more than one piece of data I'm missing?
What signals are sent with the midi note that respond to the color choices we have in the dialog box? Is it a program change for that port.

With the email incuded here, it looks like the new firmware will provide LED feedback.

It looks like the LED color selections are made directly with the MK3. ( no dialog box in Hauptwerk)

CUSTOM PROGRAMMING MODE. MINI MK3

Start a custom program - there are 3 available custom programs you can create or use factory options for Ableton Live, etc.

Custom programming has a grid on the screen and to the right is a long menu of ootons whether your sending
midi cc data, midi note on off data, plus a lot of other functions for drums, DAW's , ECT.

Right click what ever function you want and drag it to the pad you intend to press
You do this for each pad individually ( 1 at a time).

For examoke we want MIDI NOTE DATA.
Select:
1. MIDI note
2. SWITCHING :Momentary
3. Note: [ C# 1, D1, D#1 etc.]
4. choose Background color from a pallet
5. Then select Active color and a pallet opens for that.

That's as far as ive gotten because I still cant get LED feedback. - yes. I can have a white background and Bright Red when I push the button and the chosen stop responds to the pad trigger. - but the LED is not getting feedback from Hauptwerk - in the event you activate or cancel a stop with a combination action or any other trigger in Hauptwerk, the LED pads on the MK3 aren't getting any additional data other than direct triggers to the pad/button.

I hope this info helps, as well as what steps I've taken and the (negative) results I've had.
Which in theory should work if the LED responses are tied directly to the same note on/off valuse.
If the status in Hauptwerk changes the note value, the MK3 LED's just "aren't hearing it".

Id like to get the mk3 working, I have about about 10 days remaining that I can return it for a refund.
All the best.
Wayne. - Here is the info from NOVATION:
--------------------
The latest firmware version for the Launchpad Mini MK3 will allow Custom Modes to react to incoming signals. If the Note messages in the Custom Mode match the incoming input messages you will see the LEDs change accordingly.

To really say whether this will meet your needs I'd need to know more about what Hauptwerk is sending - please give me some details on the messages you're hoping Launchpad Mini MK3

(Note from me )... And yes, I'd like to know also.
Thanks......

mdyde

PostFri Mar 03, 2023 4:41 am

Hello Wayne,

I'm afraid I can't help with this -- very sorry. The current version of Hauptwerk (v7) doesn't support 'mk3' Launchpad models, and I'm not aware of any way that you could get them to work fully (including control of their LEDs) with it natively. (Hauptwerk has quite a bit of custom logic within it to handle the Launchpad Mk2/mk1 MIDI implementations, and the Mk3 models have differences in the logic that would be needed in Hauptwerk.) As I mentioned previously, we do hope to add full support for a Mk3 Launchpad in a future Hauptwerk version in the not-too-distant future (and hopefully that may enable the Mini Mk3 to work too, even though we don't officially support their 'Mini' models).

My advice would be either to wait until a version of Hauptwerk is available that supports a Mk3 Launchpad, or instead to use one of the models that we *do* support, i.e. the 'Launchpad Mk2' model, or the 'mk1' Launchpad. Perhaps you could get a Launchpad Mk2 as a temporary measure if you need something in a hurry, for example. Sorry I can't be of more help in the meantime.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing