It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

Note On/Off with 2 switches?

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Regnillub

Note On/Off with 2 switches?

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:15 am

I'm working on a design for a push/pull illuminated draw knob. The design incorporates two momentary switches, one for pushing, another for pulling. I'd like to turn a stop on by pulling the draw knob out, and actuating one switch, and turn the stop off by pushing the draw knob in and actuating the other switch. I don't see an obvious setting in HW to make this happen. Does anyone know if this is possible? (HW7, custom console). Thanks!

ReinerS

Re: Note On/Off with 2 switches?

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:27 am

Do you have control over the MIDI messages sent out by the momentary switches (e.g. since you are programming the software)? In that case the easiest solution would be to have one switch send a NOTE-ON message when triggered and the other NOTE-OFF.

Regnillub

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 10:42 am

Well, that sounds perfectly obvious. I don't know why I was thinking only the HW side of the equation. I can do that, Thanks!

Stuart

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 2:36 pm

I have tried to build some of these push-pull stops in the past and found that if I used two momentary switches wired in parallel (one activated momentarily when pushing in, the other while pulling out) that my MIDI encoder could send a note-on/note-off message which Hauptwerk would auto-detect as a momentary push button. It was paired with a MIDI decoder to light an LED just above each stop knob. My stops were workable, but I found it difficult to give them a nice feel (they felt rather sloppy.) In the end I found some nice black momentary push buttons and have used them instead (also with LEDs above them.) I do think that with enough work, it would be possible to build the stop control that you want.

Regnillub

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 2:45 pm

I have a version I've 3D printed that has a good feel to it. I like the 2 switch idea as I worry the single on/off behavior would get out of sync. In particular, it will be easy to brush the wrong stop when reaching for another, and could inadvertently turn on something loud. :-) I'd much rather turn something off by mistake! I'd love to see your design to compare to mine. Can you post a picture?
Here's mine:
https://imgur.com/gallery/TscQwIO

Stuart

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 9:00 am

Unfortunately I did not take any photos of my attempt and they have since been dismantled to use the parts elsewhere. I had wondered if 3D printing might be an option, and your stop looks great! Unfortunately I didn't have access to a 3D printer. You are right in noting that the single switch approach will get out of sync with stops set by pistons, etc.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing