It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:20 pm

bluetooth / midi trigger for combination sequencer / stepper

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Wayne Grauel

bluetooth / midi trigger for combination sequencer / stepper

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 9:58 am

I have an Airturn AT-104 Bluetooth Pedal (dongle version)
Will this interface with Hauptwerk to sequence thru combinations? The answer to that appears to be "no"/

I haven't delved into the stepper/sequencer aspects of HW yet since it appears Bluetooth doesn't interface.

Is there a Bluetooth to midi application that works?

if not, what's the best approach. using a wired midi or wireless USB midi hardware unit that i I could "hard wire" ( or plug in ) momentary push button switches mounted in a "stomp box" like a "hosa technology 2 button foot switch" opens up possibilities for a small unit I could Velcro in place.

Thanks for any options you all have used.

Wayne

IainStinson

Re: bluetooth / midi trigger for combination sequencer / ste

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 12:43 pm

Some thoughts….

You might find something like this box could convert your Bluetooth midi from the pedal to usb midi.
See https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-uhost/. I have no experience of the device.

As well as midi, Hauptwerk supports computer keyboards (particular key presses) as controls (you can autodetect HW controls to operate from a computer keyboard). Some users have used old computer keyboards to make low cost controls for Hauptwerk.

If you have a spare midi input you don’t use, you could connect it to a simple switch used with “keyboards” (digital pianos) or guitars or to a second-hand piston.

Iain

Wayne Grauel

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 12:51 pm

the problem is, it's not BlueTooth midi and so it does not send Midi. -

It's an AirTurn BlueTooth device designed to trigger a page turn in programs like FourScore and MusicSheets. It doesn't send any midi data. but thanks for the thought.

ldeutsch

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 2:00 pm

According to the AT-104 manual, this device simply generates PgUp and PgDn computer keyboard keystrokes. Hence, you ought to be able to train HW to use it just as with any computer keyboard.

Les

Wayne Grauel

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 2:18 pm

ok i;ll contact airturn and see what the protocol is i'll start there and get back if there's a problem thanks

mnailor

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 3:26 pm

If the gadget just looks like PgUp or PgDn keystrokes, Hauptwerk already has a way to assign those to controls like Stepper + 1. You shouldn't need to wait for support from the manufacturer for that.

Example setting screen is on page 63 of Hauptwerk 7.0 Installation and User Guide, see the Computer key section.

What I'm suggesting is use Autodetect, tap the switch, see if it registers as a computer keystroke.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing