It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:32 pm

Considering a 24ao

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Hkleb

Considering a 24ao

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 10:14 am

I would like to change my interface to a Motu 24ao but have two questions before I make the move.

I'll be giving up an interface that has built-in midi in/out plugs so how would you recommend getting the midi input into the system from the console? (PC based)

Second, I plan to eventuallly separate the console from the speakers by about 60 feet and would like to know how hard it will be to set up the 24ao remotely with an Ultralite through AVB & ethernet.

Thanks for any recommendations.

IainStinson

Re: Considering a 24ao

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:19 am

Hello.

1. I changed from an interface with built-in midi to a MOTU A24O. I purchased a MOTU Micro LIte Midi interface unit to replace the midi functions on my old interface, Works well and provides six in and out midi ports (and connects to the PC using USB2)
2. There are discussions on the forum about using the MOTU devices with AVB. Try using the Advanced Search Feature - you probably need to use MOTU and Ethernet as the search terms - the search will not look for AVB - it is too short a search term!

Iain

mnailor

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:50 am

Search for AVB*. It works.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 12:23 pm

Hello Hkleb,

Whilst I haven't tried and Ultralite or 24Ao, I did have two 16A units, with the first connected to the computer via USB, and the second connected to the first via AVB (Ethernet cable), and it was easy to set up in MOTU's control panel software, and worked and performed very well. I expect UltraliteAVB-to-24Ao would be just as satisfactory.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

magnaton

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 1:54 pm

I did the same years ago, moved from the Ultralite MK3 to an 24Ao. Any USB to MIDI interface cable should work, however some of it depends on your MIDI encoding system. I've had good luck with the iConnectivity Mio units mainly that the Artisan encoders are picky about which MIDI interface it connects too. The cheap ones on Amazon don't work well.

For distance, yes the AVB protocol works well, you just need to have another AVB unit (like an LP32 or M64) to connect to the computer via USB. Unfortunately that's a $525(US) option to basically go from USB to AVB unless you can find a used one somewhere. You may want to try a powered USB cable which extends the range of USB to 50ft. I had a colleague who did this with his MTOU Ultralite unit and it worked perfectly with no latency or sync issues according to him.
Here is an example of one:
https://www.amazon.com/MutecPower-Active-Extension-chipsets-Booster/dp/B07MFW93B4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27T0AU5T1FW3A&keywords=usb%2Bpowered%2Bextension&qid=1680892713&sprefix=USB%2Bpowered%2Bext%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-3&th=1

Danny B.

larason2

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 3:27 pm

I did the same thing. I didn't stop using my old interface though (a Steinberg UR22). Midi input through the Steinberg works even if another interface is selected in Hauptwerk. So, just don't get rid of your old interface!

I have a 24Ao. I think the USB extender is your best option. AVB or ethernet may work, but I think they will be a headache to set up and configure, and you still need cables from the 24Ao to every monitor! I've heard of other users struggling to get AVB connections working right.

magnaton

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:06 pm

larason2 wrote:AVB or ethernet may work, but I think they will be a headache to set up and configure, and you still need cables from the 24Ao to every monitor! I've heard of other users struggling to get AVB connections working right.

I've set up a few of these simple, two interface (console & chamber) designs using AVB to connect them. It works perfectly but can be a bit complex to get it going. The manuals and maybe an authorized MOTU video can be of assistance. You have to make one of the interfaces the Master clock and the other set "To Follow". The LP32 needs to have its AVB output Streams defined. Once that happens it will act as a pass thru to the 24Ao unit. After the 2nd install of this configuration, I wised up and took lots of screen shots along with some notes to help expedite future builds.

Danny B.

MichaBerlin

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 4:47 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Hkleb,

Whilst I haven't tried and Ultralite or 24Ao, I did have two 16A units, with the first connected to the computer via USB, and the second connected to the first via AVB (Ethernet cable), and it was easy to set up in MOTU's control panel software, and worked and performed very well. I expect UltraliteAVB-to-24Ao would be just as satisfactory.

Hello MDyde,

i'm looking forward to expand my Channels from now 10 (Motu UltraLite Mk III Hybrid) to 16 or more while having a 4 manual Organ, but I was not successfull. The 24 AO is not USB but now searching for Infos to HW 8 I saw your post and it seemed, that this is the solution. I understand right, that the Motu 16A is like the UltraLite, connecting with USB to the PC and giving out 16 Channels...? And it has a machanical On/Off knob (this electronic knob in the UltraLite is really nerving). And if I want, I could easyli expand the Channels by using e second 16A ?

Excuse my school-english

Greeitung from Berlin
Mike

mdyde

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 5:11 am

Hello Mike,

MichaBerlin wrote:The 24 AO is not USB

Whilst I don't have personal experience with the 24Ao, it does actually have USB2:

https://motu.com/products/avb/24ai-24ao

MichaBerlin wrote:I understand right, that the Motu 16A is like the UltraLite, connecting with USB to the PC and giving out 16 Channels...? And it has a machanical On/Off knob (this electronic knob in the UltraLite is really nerving). And if I want, I could easyli expand the Channels by using e second 16A ?

Yes -- all of that is correct. However, to my knowledge, all of those things apply equally to the MOTU 24Ao.

Compared to the 16A, the advantages of the 24Ao for Hauptwerk use are that it has more audio output channels and is a bit cheaper, whereas the disadvantages of the 24Ao are that it potentially needs audio break-out cables (instead of having audio jack sockets, as the 16A does) and that the 24Ao doesn't also have a Thunderbolt port.

(The 24Ao only has USB2, whereas the 16A can be used by either USB2 or Thunderbolt. If using USB then the presence or absence of the Thunderbolt port would be irrelevant anyway.)
Best regards, Martin.

MichaBerlin

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:28 am

Thanks Martin,

ok thanks a lot, then I will look, what is the right for me.

Sorry: Yes, the 24AO has USB2, I meant it has no Midi IN/Out, but therefore a Midi/USB Interface is possible as it would be neccessary for the 16A.

Greetings Mike.

mdyde

PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:43 am

Thanks, Mike.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing