It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:43 pm

External Pipework

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

JonathanL64

External Pipework

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:52 am

Hello All,

So, a small issue, I have successfully connected Hauptwerk 7 to an external slider chest. The physically and electrical connections to the driver boards are fine and I can get Hauptwerk to play it, but bottom C plays c37 and upwards (I think clearly playing first note = 36). I am sure this must be to do with the settings for the first note in the coding, but I have gone through and reset all these to 0 and several other variations but am still only getting the same result. I will read through the coding tonight and again check the documentation, but I am stumped at present!

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

larason2

Re: External Pipework

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 12:36 pm

Usually in Hauptwerk, midi note 36 is the first note of any manual. So this behaviour is totally normal. I think you should be able to make Hauptwerk transpose the note down 3 octaves, but I would think it is better to program your pipe chest so the bottom note responds to note 36.

JonathanL64

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 1:48 pm

The software that programs the hardware for the pipe chest seems to set that value at zero and I can't find a means of changing that. I understand the MIDI system in that it sets bottom C at 36, which makes sense, however, I cannot find a way of setting the flash software at 36, which of course is not a Hauptwerk problem.

Thanks,

Jonathan

IainStinson

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:34 pm

If you can't configure / fix the pipework decoder, you could use the Bombe Midi translator (https://www.bome.com/products/mtclassic) or similar program to shift the note numbers from Hauptwerk to those needed by the pipe decoder software.
1. Create a virtual midi connection from HW to the translator's input (For Windows see https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software ... lmidi.html)
2..connect the translator's output to the midi controller driving the pipes.
3. Program the translator to subtract 36? from the note on/off messages being issued by Hauptwerk.
4. Check the operation with a midi monitor program (such as https://www.midiworks.ca/files/MIDIMedic_SetupV097.zip)

The free translator should be sufficient to do the job.
Good luck.
Iain

mdyde

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 3:45 am

Hello Jonathan,

To add to others' replies, there isn't currently a means to perform transposition of the MIDI note numbers for MIDI output from virtual keyboards, divisions or ranks within Hauptwerk itself, I'm afraid, although it is logged as an enhancement request.

If you haven't done so already, maybe you could try contacting the maker of the MIDI decoder to see whether it has any means to set its MIDI note number range.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JonathanL64

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 5:59 am

Thank you all, I will see what can be done, a day of experimentation I think!

Jonathan

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing