It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

Hauptwerk not responding

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

wiznap

Hauptwerk not responding

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:32 am

Hello.

I'm hitting against a behavior that can not fully and exactly frame.

Background:
-New PC (AMD Ryzen TR 3955WX pro), fresh Windows 10 Pro 21H1, 64GB RAM, HW 6.0.1.002 (custom install with HW "Program files", "Working files" and "User data" on the NVMe disk, the other directories on a 7200rpm disk)
Note:
-what I am going to describe happened exactly the same also with the old PC and with HW 6.0.2.018 (same disk config as above - it was an SSD instead of a NVMe), but not with HW 5 (so I tend to think something changed between v5 and v6 that is hitting me).
-this happens with any sample set, including St.Anne.
-if I unplug all the USBs: problem solved :-(

Config:
-4 MIDI keyboards (connected via a Roland UM-3EX), Motu 24io and 1224 driven by a MOTU 424 PCIe card.
-4 Arduino Leonardo connected via MIDI-USB each controlling: the pedalboard (MIDI IN only) and 3 sets of push buttons with leds for controlling the stops (MIDI IN and OUT).

Problem:
-First run of HW no problem, everything work fine, but as soon as I want to do an action that requires a MIDI restart (I guess), such as changing the "Mixer Preset" or trying to install a new organ, or change the polyphony to the point when HW refreshes itself, well I go in a "Hauptwerk not responding" status with no CPU or disk activity.
-When I chose to kill Hauptwerk and I restart it (by selecting "Close the application", the RAM is not released and I can restart HW. This time I have a message like "Cannot open MIDI OUT port "Arduino Leonardo B". There is not enough memory for this task. Code: 7, hex: 7 - HW Msg: 3818".
Note: when I try to increase the polyphony (hitting the double arrow, up to the point the system refresh) the first time I do it, it works but the second time it goes into the "not responding" state.

-I am able to run "MIDI-ox" with no problem and all the devices, keyboards send/receive MIDI messages. MIDI-ox exit closing properly everything and reporting no errors)

-Need to reboot, but I am back to square 0.

It is possible that the MIDI-USB connection is the one at issue, but the question is: why everything was fine with v5?

I am short of ideas and am surely missing something, but if there is any additional suggestion/test I can run I would love to.

Thanks in advance.

-Carlo
Kind regards. Carlo.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHxVz ... gBSFebCmg/

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk not responding

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 am

Hello Carlo,

From your description it sounds as though one of the USB-MIDI devices that you have enabled in Hauptwerk is simply hanging sometimes when it starts or stops. If a MIDI or audio driver hangs then it will hang Hauptwerk indirectly. Perhaps you had some different MIDI devices enabled in Hauptwerk v5.

I'd suggest:

- Make sure all Windows updates are applied.

- Make sure the latest drivers are installed for each of your audio and MIDI devices.

- Make sure that you have ample USB power for all of your USB devices, and that if using a USB hub then it's a good-quality model, with ample power, and it with its mains power supply attached.

- Reboot. If that doesn't solve it:

- As a test try launching Hauptwerk via a 'spare' configuration ('Hauptwerk (alt config N' desktop shortcut). Within it, use 'File | Revert all Hauptwerk settings to factory defaults', then re-launch that configuration.

- On the MIDI ports screen, un-tick all MIDI ports on both the 'MIDI IN ports' and 'MIDI OUT ports' screen tabs.

- Load St. Anne's and see whether you can reproduce the problem (e.g. using 'Engine | Restart audio/MIDI' a few times). If not:

- Tick just one of your necessary MIDI IN ports.

- See whether you can now reproduce the problem (e.g. using 'Engine | Restart audio/MIDI' a few times). If not, repeat this and the previous step, enabling each of the necessary MIDI IN ports one by one, and re-testing. Then do likewise for any required MIDI OUT ports (one by one).

Does the problem then occur?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

wiznap

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:57 am

Hello Martin.

Thanks: being forced to review everything from scratch is the key ;-)

So, I took all the points again one by one, and spotted that, during the rebuilt of the new PC, the MIDI port for the pedalboard (driven by an Arduino) had the MIDI-OUT ticked (it should not be). Once corrected the config for that MIDI port everything is back in order and everything works again as expected.

Thanks again.

-Carlo
Kind regards. Carlo.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHxVz ... gBSFebCmg/

mdyde

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:02 am

Thanks, Carlo. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support