It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

Strings (and their celestes) have some obvious false notes

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

PCF

Strings (and their celestes) have some obvious false notes

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 7:20 am

I have never experienced any problems with HW VI Advanced or with MIDI until I upgraded from an i8 to an i9 processor this week.

Now, some sample sets have the following issue. All (and only) 16.8.4 Strings (incl. their Celestes) in the Swell and Solo divisions have some (not all) seriously false notes (and speaking issues) in every octave. None of the other stops has this error. At first, it appeared as the problem could be sample sets loaded with truncation and using IR. The results could not be replicated with two other sample sets.

I don't have any other issues like crackling noises, or CPU, RAM and audio output levels in the red.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Best wishes
Pharny

PS: I have yet to make some changes recommended in the HW VI manual under Performance Tuning. I have imported my i8's backup settings with success, except for the cache files that are now recreated.

mdyde

Re: Strings (and their celestes) have some obvious false not

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am

Hello Pharny,

(I assume you meant to type 'i7', since an i8 CPU doesn't exist to my knowledge.)

If you're using multi-channel audio, then perhaps your audio device has changed the channels it presents, resulting in some pipes going to the wrong audio device channels.

Please try:

- Reboot the PC. Wait a minute or so to make sure that Windows and all of the devices have had ample time to finish booting fully before launching Hauptwerk.

- Verify that you have the intended audio device and channels selected on the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen.

- Load the relevant sample set, and see whether you can still reproduce the problem. Assuming so:

- Still with the relevant sample set loaded, see whether you can reproduce the problem with just one of the relevant stops drawn (so as to eliminate any possibility of it being related to the CPU or polyphony being overloaded). Assuming so:

- Try re-loading the organ via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting ...' and just click OK (without changing any options), so as to ensure that the sample set cache gets regenerated, in case it has become corrupted somehow. Assuming you can still reproduce the problem:

- See whether you can reproduce the problem (with just one of the relevant stops drawn) by simply clicking on the virtual keys, so as to try to eliminate MIDI. If so:

- Exit Hauptwerk, and re-launch it via one of the other 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configurations. Use 'File | Revert all settings to factory defaults' within that configuration, OK, then exit, then re-launch that same configuration. Select your audio and MIDI devices when prompted, but don't change any other settings from their defaults. Load the relevant sample set, leaving all settings at their defaults (and don't auto-detect anything yet), then and see whether you can still reproduce the problem with any stops by simply clicking on the keys. If all seems well, auto-detect your MIDI keyboards and see whether you can then reproduce it. Does it exhibit the problem?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PCF

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 am

Dear Martin,

I followed your diagnostic process. Unfortunately, the problem still exists. I thought it could be one of the commercially composite organs available (which never presented any problems before). I loaded the composite version as well as the original sample set. Both display this problem with the strings only, except, in with the original sample set, the attacks are now without problems, but the releases have the false notes on the same notes as the composite.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
P

PS: I optimized my PC last night before troubleshooting this morning.
PPS: I loaded the trial version of the Walcker Papenburg sample set this morning without any problems.
PPPS: I also updated the licensing packages this morning before troubleshooting.

mdyde

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 7:45 am

Thanks, Pharny.

Within the all-default 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration, and when playing only one rank at a time, do you mean that you're having the problem only with one particular sample set (potentially including composite organs that include it), or with multiple unrelated sample sets?

[Also within the all-default 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration, and when playing only one rank at a time] can you reproduce the problem using the St. Anne's sample set?

Are any of the meters on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' control panel going into the red?
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 7:59 am

Thank you for your quick response Martin.

Within the all-default 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration, and when playing only one rank at a time, do you mean that you're having the problem only with one particular sample set (potentially including composite organs that include it), or with multiple unrelated sample sets?

With (some) multiple unrelated sample sets, however, not all, and not limited to a specific supplier.

... an you reproduce the problem using the St. Anne's sample set?

No, it loads perfectly.

Are any of the meters on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' control panel going into the red?

No, they are behaving :)

mdyde

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 am

Thanks, Pharny.

In that case, in the all-default 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration, please load one of the sample sets that's exhibiting the problem (an MDA sample set would be ideal, since we have ready access to those, but if you're not having the problem with any MDA sets, then a readily-available non-composite sample set from a different major producer, ideally a set that isn't too large, in case we need to get a copy of it from the producer), then draw one of the stops that exhibits the problem, and use Hauptwerk's built-in audio recorder to make a brief audio recording that demonstrates the problem you're referring to.

Still within that configuration, please then use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' to create a diagnostic file, and send the diagnostic file, plus the audio recording to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com Thanks.

Edit: P.S. It might possibly take Francois a day or two to get back to you, since I understand he has some other commitments this weekend.
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:23 am

Thank you so much, Martin.

I will make the recordings during the course of the week and forward them to Francois with the diagnostic file.

Best,
Pharny

mdyde

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 am

Thanks again, Pharny.
Best regards, Martin.

PCF

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Hello Martin, I found the problem.

My old PC was cloned (also all installation folders) and copied to the new PC. Seeing that it was only one sample set that gave problems (both the original and composite) and only for two ranks, I decided to reinstall the installation packages as I assumed that specific folders (the strings) may have been damaged during the copying process.

Indeed! I no longer have the problem after the reinstallation.

Thank you for all the assistance.

Best
Pharny

mdyde

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks, Pharny.

Excellent -- glad to hear you've managed to resolve it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support