It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

Upgrading from HW4 to HW6 and skipping HW5

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

sarthurwest

Upgrading from HW4 to HW6 and skipping HW5

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm

I have been playing using HW4 for some time now, paid for HW5 but never upgraded, paid for HW6 and am ready to upgrade. My question is do I have to install HW5 first and then go on to HW6 or can I install HW6, skipping HW5 in the process?

I have purchased an iLok dongle and have the subscription to ILok done. What other steps would I need to do if it is possible to go from 4 to 6?

Thanks,
Arthur

engrssc

Re: Upgrading from HW4 to HW6 and skipping HW5

IainStinson

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 2:56 am

You can upgrade directly to HW6.

Here are some thoughts…

The first step I would recommend is obtaining versions of any encrypted and/or Hasp dongle licences sample sets you have for HW6. Some HW sample sets don’t use individual dongle control, but are encrypted for HW4, you need the HW 5 and above versions of these as well as those where you received a Hasp dongle update as a part of the purchase.

Read the documentation (for HW6). Pay particular attention to changes (particularly if you are using a MAC).

Take a HW backup and keep it safe. This backs up your HW settings, not the sample sets. The installation process will migrate the settings from HW4 to HW6, but the backup gives you options to recover if something goes wrong.

Make your own step by step plan which you understand and check it with the documentation and the forum advice.

Leave enough time for the migration.

You should note that once you have installed HW6 and got St Anne playing, you will need to install any encrypted sample sets with the versions for HW5 and above before you can play them.

The process is not reversible once you have migrated your licences from the Hasp dongle to your iLOK device as the migration wipes the licences from the Hasp dongle.

Good luck.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 3:20 am

Hello Arthur,

Thanks very much for upgrading.

To confirm others' replies (thanks Iain and Ed), yes -- just upgrade to v6 directly. (There's no advantage to upgrading to v5 first.)

The 'Upgrading or re-installing Hauptwerk' section in the Hauptwerk user guide (pages 25-29 in the v6.0.2 version) has the instructions, and it's important to follow those: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sarthurwest

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Thanks all for your replies and advice - duly noted. I now have my roadmap to HW6!

Warm regards to all,
Arthur West

mdyde

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks very much, Arthur. Hope you enjoy v6 once it's up and running.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support