It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

Reaper 4.611 can't see Hauptwerk VST (v4)

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Reaper 4.611 can't see Hauptwerk VST (v4)

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 am

I’m using Hauptwerk Version 4 with Reaper Version 4.611/x64 (April 2014). I cannot get the Hauptwerk VST to show up in Reaper’s FX panel. It shows LiquidSonics Reverberate-x64 correctly; but although the path to the Hauptwerk VST is in Reaper Preferences > Plug-ins> VST, and I’ve clicked on “Clear cache Re-scan”, the Hauptwerk VST is definitely not there. I’ve checked with File Explorer Hauptwerk and "VSTLink-64bit.dll" is present, with the size shown as 270KB.

This used to work perfectly, but I'm having to re-install all my software after Windows was found to be corrupted and had itself to be re-installed.

I’ve a few times without success, and even tried with the Hauptwerk VST as the only one listed. What might I be doing wrong?

mdyde

Re: Reaper 4.611 can't see Hauptwerk VST (v4)

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 10:25 am

Hello organsRgreat,

We no longer officially support Hauptwerk v4, but in case it helps, my brief thoughts would be:

- Double-check that you've set Reaper's VST search path to include exactly the following folder:

"C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In"

- Make sure that no other versions of the Hauptwerk VST plug-in are in Reaper's VST search path (to ensure conflicts are avoided).

- Reboot the PC.

- Make sure that neither Hauptwerk, nor Reaper, nor any other music/VST software is running.

- Now launch Reaper with an empty project, then try scanning for plug-ins again and hopefully it will find it.

(The important thing to be aware of with the Hauptwerk VST plug-in is that only one instance can be loaded at any one time. If the VST host tries to load a second instance without unloading the first, e.g. when trying to scan for plug-ins with a project loaded, then the second instance will fail to load.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organsRgreat

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 am

Thanks Martin – that worked perfectly. I created an empty project in Reaper by deleting all the tracks, then saved that as a new project. Exited all programs, rebooted the PC, launched Reaper with the empty project, entered the path to the Hauptwerk VST and clicked on “Clear cache/rescan”. Used “Insert virtual instrument on new track” and there was the Hauptwerk VST Link!

If I’d known how to interpret it, there was a clue in the fact that Reaper didn’t warn me that the VST was missing – it usually does this if it can’t find something needed for a project; yet the Hauptwerk VST was not shown in the “FX” list. It must have been “hiding” somewhere within Reaper, and, as you said, that was preventing it from loading.

I’d never have thought of this in a million years; thank you for a quick reply – on a Sunday afternoon :-)

mdyde

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 7:32 am

Thanks very much, organsRgreat.

Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

randallschmid

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi organsRgreat,

Out of curiosity, is it possible the reason you did not see HW was because you were looking at FX VSTs rather than instrument VSTs?

organsRgreat

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 7:31 am

randallschmid: Reaper uses the term “FX” for all the Plug-ins it knows about. So in the same box it shows what most of us would understand as effects, such as reverb, as well as plug-ins that are really instruments, such as Hauptwerk or Pianoteq. This results in a very long list, so I usually click on VST then VSTi when looking for the Hauptwerk VST. This cuts down the long list to those specific types. I’ve just checked and Hauptwerk shows as a VSTi.

It’s possible that this way of doing things may have changed in later versions of Reaper; v4.611 was programmed in 2014. I stay with that version because I’m used to it. Even after seven years I don’t completely understand Reaper, but I’m sufficiently at home with v4.611 that I can usually get it to do what I want.

The reason for my original post wasn’t only that I couldn’t see the Hauptwerk VST in Reaper’s FX box; it was equally because, with Hauptwerk’s Audio Output set to Hauptwerk VST Link, I couldn’t get any sound out of Reaper.

eivind

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 pm

Looked at this thread - and found that it left me with some questions - would be nice to know if stuff is correct on my side here.

On my system (HW V) the VST-dll itself is called HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit. I have renamed the 32bit file to .bak - Cubase 10 will ignore it anyway.

The location is C:\Commeon Files\Steinberg\VST2\VSTPlugins 64bit

There is however an EMPTY folder at C:\Users\mycomputersname\My Documents\VST3 Presets\Milan Digital Audio\ HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit (I suspect this is ok?)

I am still having trouble routing ranks to VST-channels of my choice.. so just a long shot here - if the setup may have some significance here.. ?!

Holidays coming up and I get some vacation on my hands.. I have plans to sort out my troubles with HW once and for all. If I get it work the way I want to - I might just opt for the next upgrade of HW.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm

Hello eivind,

You can choose where the Hauptwerk VST plug-ins get installed when you run (or re-run) the Hauptwerk installer.

The plug-ins are named:

HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll
HauptwerkVSTLink-32bit.dll

Their default installation is:

C:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In

... but you can change it to anything you like (when running the installer).

It doesn't really matter where you install them, as long as your VST host application (e.g. Cubase, if that's what you're using) has the relevant folder in its VST2 plug-ins search path. (The Hauptwerk plug-ins are VST2, not VST3.)

N.B. you must only have a single instance of a Hauptwerk VST plug-in loaded in your host at a time, so if using its function for (re-)scanning for VST plug-ins, make sure that you unload your project first. Also, when subsequently adding the plug-in within a Cubase project, I'd recommend doing it within Cubase's instrument rack (not directly within any track), since that way multiple tracks could use the same instance of the plug-in if you wish.

This post has step-by-step instructions for how to route ranks (e.g. by division) to VST plug-in channels:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16047#p150784

mdyde wrote:here are some step-by-step instructions for routing different divisions to different audio device channels (e.g. to different VST channels) in Hauptwerk v5/v6:

- Load the relevant organ.

- Decide which of the available 8 mixer presets (which are global) you want to dedicate for the purpose. Let's say you choose to use mixer preset 1.

- Go to 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio mixer preset' and select mixer preset 1, thus configuring the organ to use that preset. OK the screen.

- Now open the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen.

- Find 'Mxr prst 1: Mstr mix bus 1 stereo mix 1 (main/recording)' in the left-hand bus list. In the right-hand pane, for its device channels select 'none'.

- Now, in the left-hand list of mixer buses, expand the 'Advanced items' node.

- Let's say we'll use primary bus 0031 for division 1, 0032 for division 2, etc., so scroll down the bus list to find 'Mxr prst 1: prmry bus 0031'. In the right-hand pane, name the bus something like 'Division 1' (or 'Great', or whatever you like, for representing that division, although it might be useful to keep the names generic in case you want to use the same set-up for several different organs which might have different division names). Select the desired device channels (e.g. VST channels 1+2 ) for that division.

- Repeat the last step for each of the other divisions that you plan to use (using buses 0032, 0033, and onwards), naming them 'Division 2', 'Division 3', etc., and assigning appropriate device channels to them (e.g. VST channels 3+4, then 5+6, etc.).

- Now open the 'General settings | Audio mixer bus groups screen. To keep things tidy, let's say we'll use group 0031 for division 1, group 0032 for division 2, and so on. Hence scroll down the left-hand group list to find 'Mxr prst 1: bus grp 0031'. In the right-hand pane, name it 'Division 1' (for example). In the lower part of the right-hand pane, make sure that mixer bus 0031 is ticked for it, and no others. You should see that mixer bus 0031 is named 'Division 1', since you named it that a few steps ago. Hence you will now have configured group 0031 to contain just bus 0031, so that all pipes for any ranks that you route to this group will play through just that one mixer bus (bus 0031, which you have assigned to your desired device channels for this division).

- Repeat the last step for each of the other divisions that you plan to use (using groups 0032, 0033, and onwards), naming them 'Division 2', 'Division 3', etc., putting bus 0032 in group 0032, bus 0033 in group 0033, and so on.

- Now open the 'Organ settings | Rank routing ...' screen. In the left-hand rank list, highlight all ranks for the first division. In the right-hand pane, for 'Rank output perspective 1 (front 1/main): Destination mixer bus group' select group 0031. You should see that group 0031 is named 'Division 1', since you named it that a few steps ago.

- Repeat the last step for the organ's other ranks, assigning them to the appropriate groups according to their divisions.

You will then have a unique group set up for each division, with that group containing a unique mixer bus for the division, with the desired device channels assigned for that division, and with the each division's ranks routed to its group (and thus to its mixer bus, which has the desired device channels selected.)

To send audio via VST to Cubase you would also need to:

- Select the 'Hauptwerk VST Link' as the audio output device on the 'General settings | Audio device ...' screen in Hauptwerk. Also set your desired sample rate (which needs to match the sample rate in your Cubase project).

- In Cubase, load the Hauptwerk VST Link plug-in, making sure that you only have one instance of it loaded in your project (e.g. load it in Cubase's VST instrument rack which you then route to a track, or loaded on a track directly, but only only on one track if loading it directly on a trrack).
Best regards, Martin.

eivind

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks..(!) the tip on opening the advanced items thingy seems to make sense. And the walk through looks sensible. Does this also apply to a multichannel setup?! (i.e. not just a stereo output).

On HW4 I routed ranks to a number of specific channels in Cubase - I used that to apply different levels on convolution reverb to various ranks on my Skinner Dry (the wooden church rev that comes with Cubase is very very nice) - and it also made it possible to quickly change the levels on those channels when mixing the organ with other music. Not to mention applying EQ.

During the last years struggeling with this - I never opened that advanced menu.. found it on the bottom of the page, and I never looked that far down.. :lol: I always got sound through the VST-plugin, but I got all of it on every channel.. i.e. no separation.

There's a lot of numbers to remember in the walk through.. so I better take notes when diving into this.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Thanks, eivind.

eivind wrote:Does this also apply to a multichannel setup?! (i.e. not just a stereo output).

You can use the same method to route any ranks to any audio channels (e.g. VST channels) -- it doesn't just apply to routing ranks according to their divisions.

See the two 'Audio routing and impulse response reverb' chapters in the user guide (pages 186-221 in the current v6.0.2 version) for full details about how audio routing works in v5+, with various other step-by-step routing examples. If you just want to route ranks to surround speaker channels ('front' ranks to 'front' stereo pair, 'rear' ranks to 'rear' stereo pair, etc.), then you don't even need to worry about bus groups or the rank routing screen, since they're pre-configured appropriately for that purpose -- you can instead simply use the voicing/panning screen to 'pan' ranks to the front, rear, etc, as described in the 'Example 2: surround/3D sound output ...' subsection (pages 194-197).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support