It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

Expression pedals that are not SWELL

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RWatson

Expression pedals that are not SWELL

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 6:16 pm

It was straightforward - even easy - making the physical SWELL pedal control the virtual SWELL division. It also wasn't difficult making the physical SWELL shades work in tandem with the aforementioned SWELL control either - including LCD displays.
However, I cannot replicate the process for the CHOIR division - both virtual and physical shades.
There are two sections in the USER GUIDE dealing with this process: Pages 170 and 178. I don't know how to choose or effect a CHOIR section; none of my sample sets have the virtual CHOIR expression pedal so I cannot use autodetect. While it's easy to insert the "CHOIR" text in the LCD, I cannot synchronize that action with controlling the effect of the CHOIR shades and CHOIR expression pedal.

On a separate matter, I'm having an issue whereby, suddenly and without warning, all audio suddenly stops - only restarting by choosing RESTART audio/MIDI (emergency reset for audio/MIDI hardware) in the ENGINE tab. There doesn't seem to be any inordinate computer activity precipitating this, and the organ relay continues to play (but it's really obvious). Thankfully, the real pipes carry on.

Audio system: MOTU UltraLite AVB feeding MOTU 24Ao; 14 stereo pairs.

Is there a log file that I can look at to see if this event is detected in Hauptwerk?

larason2

Re: Expression pedals that are not SWELL

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 7:29 pm

I’m sure more knowledgeable users will chime in soon, but if the ODF doesn’t include a choir division under expression, then it doesn’t exist, and you can’t configure a pedal to adjust the expression of the choir. Either buy a sample set with a choir under expression or set up a CODM file with an expressed choir of one of your existing organs.

For the midi problem, your midi is crashing, which is usually a problem either with your midi interface or it’s driver.

RWatson

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:25 pm

larason2 wrote:For the midi problem, your midi is crashing, which is usually a problem either with your midi interface or it’s driver.

When the audio suddenly stops, the MIDI continues to play the (34-rank) pipe organ, so I don't think the MIDI interface or its driver is crashing (as the pipe drivers are also driven by the MIDI output and the all the keyboards (MIDI input) are playing those real pipes - and they continue on.)

mdyde

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 5:03 am

Hello RWatson,

RWatson wrote:It was straightforward - even easy - making the physical SWELL pedal control the virtual SWELL division. It also wasn't difficult making the physical SWELL shades work in tandem with the aforementioned SWELL control either - including LCD displays.
However, I cannot replicate the process for the CHOIR division - both virtual and physical shades.
There are two sections in the USER GUIDE dealing with this process: Pages 170 and 178. I don't know how to choose or effect a CHOIR section; none of my sample sets have the virtual CHOIR expression pedal so I cannot use autodetect. While it's easy to insert the "CHOIR" text in the LCD, I cannot synchronize that action with controlling the effect of the CHOIR shades and CHOIR expression pedal.

Yes -- to confirm larason2's reply (thanks very much, larason2) -- which virtual ranks/pipes are enclosed in virtual swell boxes, and their virtual swell boxes model/response parameters, are defined within the sample set (organ definition). That isn't something that you can change easily, I'm afraid, so normally you would need to use a sample set that already has the specification you want.

See also this post: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20030&p=150258#p150258

Aside from using a different sample set, or using the Custom Organ Design Module to develop your own organ definition (which is moderately technical, involving some XML/SQL programming), you might perhaps be able to commission Jake (forum user subbass32) to develop an organ definition for you to your specification:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13254

RWatson wrote:On a separate matter, I'm having an issue whereby, suddenly and without warning, all audio suddenly stops - only restarting by choosing RESTART audio/MIDI (emergency reset for audio/MIDI hardware) in the ENGINE tab. There doesn't seem to be any inordinate computer activity precipitating this, and the organ relay continues to play (but it's really obvious). Thankfully, the real pipes carry on.

Audio system: MOTU UltraLite AVB feeding MOTU 24Ao; 14 stereo pairs.

Is there a log file that I can look at to see if this event is detected in Hauptwerk?

(For my own reference, I see you gave some additional details about your new PC in this previous topic: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19973&p=150037#p150022 .)

I would suggest:

- Make sure that all Windows power-saving functions are disabled, especially the option to put USB devices to sleep, as covered in the 'Performance tuning: Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' section in the user guide (on page 274 in the current v6.0.2 version):

Disable all Windows power-saving functions, including the options for putting USB ports/devices to sleep. For example, on Windows 10 you would use 'Windows Control Panel | System | Power and sleep | Additional power settings', select the 'High performance' power plan, then click its 'Change plan settings | Change advanced power settings', then make sure that the settings are set as follows:
Sleep: Hibernate after = Never (for 'plugged in' if present)
USB settings: USB selective suspend setting = Disabled (for 'plugged in' if present)
PCI Express: Link state power management = Off (for 'plugged in' if present)
Processor power management: Minimum processor state = 100% (for 'plugged in' if present), or set the minimum and maximum states to the same value less than 100% if necessary to avoid overheating (such as 65%).
Hard disk: Turn off hard disk after = Never (for 'plugged in' if present)
... then OK all of the screens.

- Also make absolutely certain that nothing else, including Windows itself, or any other running software, might try to play audio through the audio interface whilst Hauptwerk is using it, otherwise you may get contention for the audio device (page 275):

If possible, set Windows to use a device other than your main audio interface as its default device for playback and recording (Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Sound | Playback/Recording)

Make sure that no other applications are running at the same time as Hauptwerk, especially applications that might try to produce any audio/sounds. In particular, check that nothing unnecessary is running in the Windows System Tray, such as media/MP3/video players or messaging applications.

Make sure that all Windows sounds are disabled (Control Panel | Hardware and Sound | Sound | Sounds and set the sound scheme to 'No sounds').

If that doesn't solve it, when the problem occurs, does Hauptwerk's audio signal level meter (on the Audio, MIDI and Performance large control panel) continue to respond as you play the virtual keys? Also, do the signal level meters in MOTU's control panel software continue to respond?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 5:05 am

P.S.

RWatson wrote:Is there a log file that I can look at to see if this event is detected in Hauptwerk?

'Help | View activity log' shows Hauptwerk's log.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support