It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

Can't get Echo AF-12 to work with HW-7

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

Can't get Echo AF-12 to work with HW-7

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:10 pm

Hello,

Just recently, finally, installed HW-7 with Martin's and Francios's help. Thanks guys. However, I can't get my Echo AF-12 to work, including my spare. Both of them worked fine on HW-4 up until the upgrade. I get the flashing dots on the Audio Mixer screen, (highlight one of them) then set the AF to a set of output channels . But no go, no sound or bar graph indication. Tried another set of AF channels but same outcome. Anyone using the AF-12 that had a similar issue? I reloaded the driver (most recent) but no difference. Kind of at my wits end at this point.

Thanks,
Eric

mnailor

Re: Can't get Echo AF-12 to work with HW-7

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm

Did you also update or upgrade Windows or change computers or OS? Hauptwerk just interacts with the ASIO driver, it doesn't control the audio interface, so there's not much chance of a HW upgrade causing this.

mdyde

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:53 pm

Hello Eric,

To add to Mark's reply, please try:

- Exit Hauptwerk if it's running.

- Launch Hauptwerk via a 'spare' 'Hauptwerk (alt confg N)' configuration (desktop shortcut) .

- Use 'File | Revert all settings to factory defaults' within that configuration to ensure that all of its settings are (still) at their defaults. (Hauptwerk will exit after you revert the settings.)

- Re-launch that same 'Hauptwerk (alt confg N)' configuration, and select your audio and MIDI devices when prompted.

- Load St. Anne's.

- Use the mouse to draw some stops and click on some keys.

Do you then hear sound through channels 1 and 2 on your AudioFire's driver? (With all-default settings, all audio will go to device channels 1 and 2 on the selected audio driver.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 1:58 pm

Thanks guys. No, no upgrades or changes other than V4-7. I don't think it's HW-7 that's the problem, either. I'm probably overlooking something. I'll try your suggestion Martin. Thanks

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 pm

Nope, still no sound. I noticed on the mixer panel that the dots light next to Primary 0005-8 but no dots next to Master Mix 1 where the Audiofire is routed from.

mdyde

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 3:39 pm

Thanks, Eric.

Are you sure you're running that same 'alt config N' in which you reset all settings to factory defaults? With all-default settings it's definitely the case that audio from all ranks would end up being routed to master mix bus 1 ["Stereo mix 1 (main/recording)"] on Hauptwerk's mixer screen.

All three of the virtual LEDs (green, blue and red) should light up for that mixer bus, and likewise for one or more of primary buses 0005-8. (All primary buses, including 5-8, send their audio to master mix bus 1 by default, so that the default settings are configured appropriately for a single stereo output.)

Which of the three virtual LEDs are lighting up for master mix bus 1?
Best regards, Martin.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:09 pm

Yeah I definitely reset to factory default. I looked at the lights again and see now that all 3 of the Master Mix 1 lights are constantly lit, but dimly, and that they don't blink when a key is pressed. So maybe that is normal.

I tried the interface with an older driver too with no success. The odd thing however is that I can change the sampling frequency and it will switch to the requested. So there is communication going on, just not the dynamic.

mnailor

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:10 pm

The indicator lights might stay on steadily if you have a blower or ambient noise rank loaded. It's best to disable those for testing.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:05 pm

Yeah I use the blower on the Rotterdam that I usually use. I don't know about St. Anne's though. I can check, but either way they don't brighten up when notes are played.

I also tried to switch the interface to play computer sounds, but can't seem to do that. It has a couple odd listings for the device. However with the organ it all looks normal, just won't produce sound.

Eric Sagmuller

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:32 pm

Right.. I turned off the blower and any other noises. Now only the blue light is lit, then the red and green come on when a note is played. So it's all good. Just wish I knew why the interfaces won't work. If needed I'll buy a new MOTU 24ao. A shame though as these interfaces worked just fine with high quality sound.

mnailor

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:34 pm

In Hauptwerk's Audio device settings, what device did you select -- the exact text? Also, since the blue light is on for master bus 1, your mixer settings are live. The blue light says at least some ranks are routed to that bus. So silence should be a problem with your audio interface or its driver.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:07 am

Hello Eric,

To add to Mark's reply, yes -- the behaviour of those virtual LEDs indicate for master mix bus 1 is normal and correct. (All three would be lit by default because the blower sounds constantly, but without the blower blue would be lit, and red and green should light up whenever you play stops/keys, indicating that sound is going into the mixer bus, and out of it to your selected audio device channels.)

The only things I can think of to suggest (with St. Anne's loaded in your spare 'alt config N') are:

- With master mix bus 1 selected, try different values for its "Audio output (device) channels: Channels" setting in the right-hand pane, in case some of your AudioFire channels are working and not others, for some strange reason.

- On the "Audio, MIDI and Performance" large control panel, check that the audio signal level meter shows activity when you play stops/keys. If so, it indicates that the driver is correctly calling Hauptwerk to calculate audio.

- Maybe try turning up the "Trim dB" on that control panel (e.g. to 0).

- Since the AudioFire was desupported by Echo a long time ago, and may not be fully compatible with more-modern software (e.g. Hauptwerk v5+ is linked to more recent versions of Microsoft's Windows libraries than v4 was), see whether the freeware ASIO4All driver ( https://www.asio4all.org/ ) works, instead of Echo's ASIO driver.

Failing that, I think you might indeed have to replace the AudioFire with something modern, I'm afraid. The MOTU 24ao units are certainly popular amongst Hauptwerk users, and well-regarded.
Best regards, Martin.

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:17 am

Mark: Yes in the dropdown menu it shows the 12 channels of the AF. So I selected 1&2. Also tried 3&4. I've been doing a little research on the firewire. I know there was an issue with Windows 10, but made sure I got the Texas Instruments chip set that was said to be the only one that worked. Has worked for 7 years with no problems. As I have two audio interface AF-12's that worked, must be a driver issue or something in the chain. Just don't know what. If I still had HW4 would be interesting to try that as a test.

Martin: Thanks. I'll try your suggestions and let you know. You think if I updated my Windows 10 there's a chance it might help? If your previous suggestions don't work then I'll try that. My concern of updates affecting the audio would be moot, as it's broken anyway.

Eric Sagmuller

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 am

You know, I was thinking there are a few others still using the AF-12's, particularly some theatre organs. But maybe they switched by now. It's been several years since I read posts from them. So may have been all pre- HW-5. Maybe I'll do a forum search.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:21 am

P.S. I see that at least one other AudioFire/Hauptwerk v7 user seems to be using the ASIO4All driver, albeit probably primarily for compatibility with Windows 10, but hopefully ASIO4All might solve it in your case too.
Best regards, Martin.
Next

Return to Technical support