It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Stepper - can you insert an extra frame?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

Re: Stepper - can you insert an extra frame?

PostTue May 03, 2022 8:26 pm

Yes, that's how I understand it. Point 4 is what trips me up. I can't see that it's become lighted due to other causes than me pressing it, so it's now an OFF piston when I expect an ON. So I turn off the Great reeds when I wanted to turn them on or do nothing if they were already on. Awkward. No lighted pistons here and the monitor is beyond my peripheral vision.

I'd find it much easier if the reversible wouldn't change meaning between ON and OFF unless that piston is pressed. Then my mental picture of which pistons I need to undo later wouldn't become wrong due outside factors such as another piston containing a superset of the reversible turning it on indirectly. I can't track indirect effects when there are a lot of changes going on.

mdyde

PostWed May 04, 2022 3:45 am

Hello Mark,

I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd like an option for master reversibles never to change state unless specifically pressed.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

voet

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:02 am

mdyde wrote:I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd like an option for master reversibles never to change state unless specifically pressed.

Martin, while Mark may want to have reversibles not change if all of its stops are on, others might want it to work the way it is now. For those people who are accustomed to using reversibles as they are now to suddenly find that they no longer work as before in a new HW release, this change could be perceived as removing a feature that they like.

Could be configured so that the user has a choice? When setting up the reversible initially, perhaps there could be a tick box to " turn on all its switches if turned on by some other means."

Just my two cents.

mnailor

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:48 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Mark,

I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd like an option for master reversibles never to change state unless specifically pressed.

Thank you, that would be great!

mnailor

PostWed May 04, 2022 8:49 am

voet wrote:
mdyde wrote:I've logged as an enhancement request that you'd like an option for master reversibles never to change state unless specifically pressed.

Martin, while Mark may want to have reversibles not change if all of its stops are on, others might want it to work the way it is now. For those people who are accustomed to using reversibles as they are now to suddenly find that they no longer work as before in a new HW release, this change could be perceived as removing a feature that they like.

Could be configured so that the user has a choice? When setting up the reversible initially, perhaps there could be a tick box to " turn on all its switches if turned on by some other means."

Just my two cents.

That's what "option" means: user's choice.

mnailor

PostWed May 04, 2022 11:54 am

mnailor wrote:
mdyde wrote:Hello Mark,

Thank you, that would be great!

Martin, If it makes sense to you, I think this option shouldn't apply to a reversible that only has one virtual control in its scope. The state change is only a potential concern if it affects two or more controls. For a single coupler that was turned on by a general, for example, pressing the coupler's reversible to turn it off makes sense.

The existing behavior makes perfectly logical sense for combinations, too, but becomes hard for me to predict in a busy piece. I mitigate that somewhat by trying to use mostly disjoint combinations between groups of reversibles, scoped, generals, and stepper frames, but that isn't always possible.

I'm still working on improving my combination schemes to be able to read new music more flexibly without preparing any special registrations for a piece. Like Julian said, scoped pistons and reversibles are probably better to do that with than the stepper and generals, and also make it easier to avoid too much overlap between piston effects that might force reversibles to change state "unexpectedly" (i.e. outside of my awareness, though predictably and as documented!).

Thanks again! It's good to have these kinds of "problems"... Retirement would be a lot less fun without Hauptwerk.

mdyde

PostWed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm

Thanks, Mark.

I've added your additional thoughts to that enhancement request.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Previous

Return to Technical support