It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Volume orf fescendo pedal

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

StephenM

Volume orf fescendo pedal

PostTue May 05, 2020 5:27 am

My HW organ has one pedal shoe, usually set up to be the volume control.

Is there any way to set up the shoe to switch between VOLUME and CRESCENDO?

I note that in some SP organs there is an pedal matrix. Can a crescendo be included in this matrix?

Stephen

IainStinson

Re: Volume orf fescendo pedal

PostTue May 05, 2020 5:51 am

If I had one expression pedal, I’d set this to operate the swell expression control, not the overall volume control.

The more recent SP organs have a pedal selection matrix with different settings which allow you assign different division expression pedals and the crescendo pedal to different console expression pedals but not to the HW volume control. You could have setting 1 assign the console expression pedal to control the swell ‘box’ and setting 2 assign the console expression pedal to the organ’s crescendo ‘pedal’. You could midi auto detect a control/piston to select setting 1 to use the pedal as a swell pedal and another control/piston to select setting 2 to use the pedal as a crescendo pedal.

Iain

mdyde

PostTue May 05, 2020 8:14 am

Hello Stephen,

To add to Iain's reply (thanks Iain, as always):

Hauptwerk itself doesn't have any functionality natively to allow you to switch in real-time between the master volume, or master crescendo, or a virtual crescendo pedal implemented within the sample set, or between any of those things and an virtual expression (swell box) pedal. (However, we do have that logged as an enhancement request.)

The only functionality that Hauptwerk does have natively for dynamically re-assigning a MIDI expression pedal is that its 'floating divisions' can be used to switch a MIDI pedal around amongst multiple virtual divisions' expression (swell box) pedals, if the organ has multiple divisions under expression separately. The 'Registration menu: floating divisions: Expression with floating divisions' sub-section in the main Hauptwerk user guide covers that (pages 118-119 in the current v5.0.1 version). However, that probably wouldn't help you, since it can't be used for crescendos.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

SKresge

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 4:12 pm

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk itself doesn't have any functionality natively to allow you to switch in real-time between the master volume, or master crescendo, or a virtual crescendo pedal implemented within the sample set, or between any of those things and an virtual expression (swell box) pedal. (However, we do have that logged as an enhancement request.)

Martin,

So if an organ (i.e. Hereford Cathedral) has a native crescendo pedal, does one need another pedal to use the bank of four virtual crescendos (a, b, c, d)? If that is the case with this organ, the virtual swell that has a float crescendo to swell pedal tab will only work with the native one that ships with the program and thus we can't use the virtual crescendo bank feature with that tab?

This post is 2 1/2 years old, I am assuming that the enhancement request hasn't shown up yet in 7?

Thanks, Scott

mdyde

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 4:50 am

Hello Scott,

No functionality has been added to Hauptwerk since this topic was first posted, so the same still applies.

For any given organ (i.e. on a per-organ basis), you can map any given MIDI expression pedal to one or more virtual expression pedals/sliders/knobs but it will then always operate the virtual control(s) that you've mapped it to (in parallel, if mapping it to multiple virtual controls).

I see that the Hereford XL sample set has a 'float swell pedal' virtual expression pedal:

https://www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/organs/ ... page7.html
https://www.lavenderaudio.co.uk/herefor ... rtrait.jpg

... which implements functionality within the organ definition specifically for switching between the sample set's built-in Choir, Swell, Solo and Crescendo virtual expression functions. Hence you could presumably use that to allow your MIDI expression pedal to switch in real-time between those four things. However, you can't natively/directly also/instead switch it in real-time between any or all of those three things and Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo or Master Volume controls (which are entirely separate from the functionality provided within the sample set).

You could conceivably map your MIDI expression pedal *both* to the Hereford XL's 'float swell pedal' *and* to Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo, but the MIDI pedal would then always control both sets of functionality in parallel. You could perhaps configure the two in parallel and then also configure one of the four banks of Hauptwerk's Master Crescendos to do nothing (turn no stops on), so as effectively to enable/disable it on the fly (by selecting which of the four banks you were using at any given point in time), which would give effectively give you a means (albeit rather a fiddly one) to switch your MIDI pedal between the sample set's Choir, Swell, Solo and Crescendo virtual expression functions and Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo.

I.e. which of the four Hauptwerk Master Crescendo banks was current would determine whether Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo was having any effect, and which of the Hereford XL's "FLOAT SW PED TO ..." couplers was on would determine whether any of the sample set's virtual expression functions were also being controlled.
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 6:54 am

mdyde wrote:You could conceivably map your MIDI expression pedal *both* to the Hereford XL's 'float swell pedal' *and* to Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo, but the MIDI pedal would then always control both sets of functionality in parallel. You could perhaps configure the two in parallel and then also configure one of the four banks of Hauptwerk's Master Crescendos to do nothing (turn no stops on), so as effectively to enable/disable it on the fly (by selecting which of the four banks you were using at any given point in time), which would give effectively give you a means (albeit rather a fiddly one) to switch your MIDI pedal between the sample set's Choir, Swell, Solo and Crescendo virtual expression functions and Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo.

I.e. which of the four Hauptwerk Master Crescendo banks was current would determine whether Hauptwerk's Master Crescendo was having any effect, and which of the Hereford XL's "FLOAT SW PED TO ..." couplers was on would determine whether any of the sample set's virtual expression functions were also being controlled.

Martin, this actually helps. Will play around with mapping both to the same pedal and leaving a bank blank and use the tabs to control expression vs crescendo.

Thanks again for your help!

Scott

mdyde

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 6:59 am

Excellent. Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostTue Aug 29, 2023 3:40 pm

I recently upgraded computers and reinstalled all of my organ sets.

I had the Float Swell option working for the 4 couplers in the Hereford set on the other system, but can't get it to work on the new computer.

There is just the one toggle in the settings screen, correct? I have that on, but the swell only moves the swell and not the others when the coupler is engaged.

I am forgetting something in this setup? it has been a bit.

Thanks for any inputs

Scott

mdyde

PostWed Aug 30, 2023 4:08 am

Hello Scott,

Based on a brief look at the Hereford sample set, I see that on the "Organ settings | Expression/crescendo pedals ..." screen in Hauptwerk it presents one entry named "FLOATING EXPRESSION PEDAL" and another named "SWELL".

Perhaps you accidentally auto-detected your MIDI expression pedal to the latter, whereas presumably you would need it auto-detected solely to the former. Click on the latter, and make sure its "Input" is set to "<No input ...>".
Best regards, Martin.

SKresge

PostWed Aug 30, 2023 6:27 am

Martin,

That is exactly what I had done, forgot about the other setting under Organ Settings!

Back in business again, thank you so much!

Scott

mdyde

PostWed Aug 30, 2023 6:31 am

Thanks, Scott. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support