It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am

Cache file slow to load

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Cache file slow to load

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 3:47 am

These new drives are lightning fast. Takes longer to open the music and set up the registration. I would need to qualify the load time as I leave the computer running 24/7 eliminating the boot time. The monitor isn't running since the install is headless. I would certainly encourage Marc and others still using a mechanical HDD to switch to a SSD. Not only are they faster, but long term more reliable. It isn't a question as to if a HDD will fail, but rather when. Using a (connected) HDD as backup storage will slow a system down.

Anyone wishing to check the speed of their system drive can download a free app - CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 to verify the read and write speeds. Using a HDD, I was getting a Read speed of approx 139 MB/s. Even upgrading to an "ordinary" SSD more than tripled the read speed to approx 542 MB/s.. As relating to running HW, the read speed is the prime factor as to load time.

https://crystalmark.info/en/2019/10/31/crystaldiskmark-7-0-0/

With a new MOBO and appropriate CPU setup to run M.2, NVMe drives, you can expect to see read speeds of approx 3,0000 or so. If of course you are using an older computer not natively set up to run these drives, you will be limited to the SATA bus speed. Never-the-less, switching from a HDD to a SSD will be a significant improvement.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 am

engrssc wrote:As relating to running HW, the read speed is the prime factor as to load time.

Hello Ed,

That's certainly true up to a certain point, but eventually (with recent extremely high performance SSDs) the CPU may become the bottleneck, since Hauptwerk also needs to be able to process (e.g. decrypt) the cache file data as the file is read from the SSD. Hence for the fastest possible loading speeds with extremely fast SSDs CPU performance potentially matters too.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 4:53 am

Then there is the cost vs overall performance ratio. I can't rationalize using an AMD Threadripper (or overclocking for that metter) on a Hauptwerk system unless a person has deep pockets and nothing better to spend their $$$ on. Also with these high performance CPU's is the need for bigger, nosier coolers. In that case, there wouldn't be the need to activate the Blower noise feature found in some sample sets. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Theorbe

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 7:05 am

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 7:19 am

Hello Andy,

Here's a topic (with links to others) that cover loading speeds:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18771&p=145233#p145233

mdyde wrote:Here are some topics on loading speeds from cache:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14624
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p119622
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 777#p74773
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p108156
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14683

In brief:

- Hauptwerk also needs to do other processing on the cache data when loading (such as decrypting it).
- After loading from cache, Hauptwerk's log ('Help | View activity log', and look at INF:2157) will show loading performances stats.
- With extremely fast (PCIe etc.) SSDs the per-core CPU performance is likely to be the bottleneck.
- When loading from cache Hauptwerk is currently (v5) able to take advantage about 5-6 cores (but more won't hurt).
- Hauptwerk is tested with and optimised for Intel CPUs, but I know of no reason that an AMD CPU with AVX2 shouldn't perform well, and Hauptwerk v5 should detect it as having AVX2 (check the 'INF:4165 ... Processor build type' in the activity log after launching Hauptwerk) and use that capability.
- Hauptwerk v5 should load caches a bit faster than v4 did, but making it take full advantage of the performance capabilities of very fast PCIe SSDs would be a fairly big project -- one for the future.

As covered in those posts, we do fully appreciate that some people these days have the more recent extremely high-performance PCIe/NVMe/etc. SSDs, and further optimising Hauptwerk to take better advantage of such SSDs is logged as a high-priority enhancement request (but it isn't a small amount of work, and we have finite resources). I hope that helps to clarify, and thanks for your patience.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 7:06 pm

After all is said and done, quite generally speaking (here and elsewhere), we, for the most part appreciate (called Martin for one and there are others) who help to make this progress possible. Speaking of what has and is being done in so many areas of Hauptwerk. I think there is the looking out the window effect whereby many "things" are speeding along, but at a certain cost. It's difficult to rationalize quality without realizing what it takes to achieve that quality. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Technical support