It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 am

No audio for diffuse-ranks after updating to V6

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

pecabo

No audio for diffuse-ranks after updating to V6

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am

Hi,

has anybody a tip?
Updated my HW to version 6 on a mac (BigSur, Babyface Interface). All works fine for all the 2-channel organs.
But when I load "Zutphen surround" with only the diffuse ranks (as usual), I hear nothing.
I think, it's only a configuration thing, but where and how? :shock:

Thanks for help :)

mdyde

Re: No audio for diffuse-ranks after updating to V6

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Hello pecabo,

Absolutely nothing has changed in Hauptwerk v6 above v5 related to ranks or audio routing; the act of upgrading to v6 definitely couldn't, in itself, have changed or broken any audio/rank/routing settings or behaviour in Hauptwerk.

However, note that some audio interfaces (notably some from RME -- not sure about the Babyface) do present less usable audio channels if running at 96 kHz. Hence if you had set Hauptwerk v6 to use 96 kHz audio and you were previously using audio channels on the device that its hardware/driver can't use at 96 kHz, then you wouldn't hear sound that was routed to those 'missing' device channels.

If you've set Hauptwerk v6 to use 96 kHz audio, then try relaunching Hauptwerk (so that the audio interface's channels are re-queried). If that doesn't solve it, set Hauptwerk's sample rate back to 48 kHz, re-launch it, then see whether that solves it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

pecabo

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Can it be, that this is a mixer problem and macOS BigSur?
After 15 minutes with doing nothing, all works fine! Unbelievable but true :)

Is it possible, to reset the mixer earlier?

Greetings
Peter

mdyde

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 2:54 pm

Hello Peter,

Whatever caused it, I can basically guarantee that it wasn't due to anything within Hauptwerk's audio mixer or routing -- they're absolutely unchanged at all since v5.0.1. I'd be 99.99% certain that whatever the problem was was external to Hauptwerk (e.g. driver compatibility issue with macOS 11, or some kind of hardware problem, or maybe even an audio problem in macOS 11 itself).

If it happens again:

- Make sure that you have driver versions for your audio and MIDI interface(s) installed that are current, and which their makers state are compatible with macOS 11, rebooting the Mac if you need to update any.

- See whether you still hear sound if turning on some stops and clicking on the virtual keys with the mouse (i.e. not via MIDI).

- If not, (when clicking on keys, with stops definitely showing as being turned on on the screen) see whether the audio signal level meter shows activity on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel.

- If not, try restarting the audio/MIDI drivers, via 'Engine | Restart audio/MIDI' from the menu in Hauptwerk.

If that doesn't solve it, please use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to Francois at [support [at] hauptwerk.com , so that we can have a look at your logs to see if they give any clues.
Best regards, Martin.

jedimasterjsa

PostWed May 26, 2021 9:26 am

I seem to be running into a similar issue. I just updated to Big Sur last night. At first I couldn't hear anything, then found this post and tried all of the previous suggestions. Nothing really seemed to make a difference, but then it all of a sudden started working. I did find out the problem seems to be limited to my main sample set (Pasadena Presbyterian Church Aeolian Skinner by Evensong). The St Anne's sample set Hauptwerk comes with and the Friesach sample set I also occasionally use seem to work fine.

Then this morning I opened everything up and started having the same problem. No sound. I am using a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface which doesn't officially work on BigSur, but I found a workaround to re-enable it (https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 27#p579963). It could be related to this, but during the time when there's no sound I can see that my key presses are triggering on the virtual keys. Also all my piston and stops seem to work as well. So the Microlite seems to be functioning properly. There's just no sound.

During this time I do not see any activity in the audio signal meter in the 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' control panel. I've created the diagnostic file and sent it to support as the previous post suggests. As of the time of this posting my audio has not returned this morning.

engrssc

PostWed May 26, 2021 9:37 am

As well no audio from St Anne's right now?

Rgds,
Ex

mdyde

PostWed May 26, 2021 9:57 am

Hello jedimasterjsa,

Perhaps macOS 11 ('Big Sur') needs more RAM for itself on your Mac than your previous macOS version. Strangely, if over-filling the RAM when using Hauptwerk, macOS's audio system erratically stops working:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19665&p=147481#p147468

mdyde wrote:I suspect that particular organ is over-filling your RAM on that particular macOS version (which may need more RAM for itself than previous macOS versions). macOS is particularly sensitive to a shortage of RAM, often resulting in no audio.

As a test, just to see whether that's the problem, try loading the organ via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options', highlight all ranks, and change their channel format to mono (which will use about half as much memory).

If that eliminates it (as I think it will), then it indicates that you were indeed over-filling the RAM when they were loaded in stereo, so when setting them back to stereo you'll need to adjust some rank options to save enough memory to keep macOS Big Sur happy.

The quickest test would first be to see whether it works with small organs, such as St. Anne's as Ed mentioned. If so, then the problem is probably just lack of RAM, so try changing some rank options to save RAM for your larger sample sets.
Best regards, Martin.

RaymondList

PostWed May 26, 2021 10:40 am

Also, just a thought regarding the MOTU. While I was waiting for Big Sur drivers from MOTU, I learned that my MOTU UltraLite MK4 can run in USB class compliant mode with no driver. I removed the MOTU driver and the UltraLite worked fine with Big Sur. Also, I could not believe how much better my organ sounded! At first I thought I was just imagining that, but I mentioned it to someone else on this forum, and he deleted his driver. I won't mention his name since I do not have permission, but he sent me a private message relating strongly how much clearer and transparent his Hauptwerk setup sounded too after he got rid of the driver. If all else fails, it might be good to contact MOTU to see if your Microlite can run as a USB class compliant device. I realize that your device is not handling the audio so you won't hear the difference, but it may just work fine for MIDI driverless.
edit:
Let me just add, that I can easily shut down my Mac's audio by over-filling the RAM on Big Sur. I always keep 2GB free on the Hauptwerk meter. Also, if I am defining an organ and over-fill, wiping out the audio, a reboot must be done to make the audio stable again. I can recreate this audio behavior at will.

Regards,
Ray
Ray

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed May 26, 2021 11:49 am

As a follow up, he contacted me @support with his Hauptwerk diagnostic file.

He is filling his memory to 100%. Ideally you want to keep about 2Gb free to avoid all kind of problems and glitches. Recommeded to load the sample set at a lower resolution.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to Technical support