It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

Stepper resetting to 000 when changing Comb file

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ns_organist

Re: Stepper resetting to 000 when changing Comb file

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you suggested:
-loaded St. Anne's.
-cleared the input for Master Reversible (in this case A2).
-cleared the midi input and output for the great to pedal coupler.
-confirmed that neither Reversible A2 or my touch screen do anything (both are unassigned at this point).
-engaged the setter.
-selected the great to pedal coupler.
-assigned it to master reversible A2 (for all organs).
-unticked 'send matching output'.
-confirmed the midi settings for A2 are input1 only (no output1, and nothing in input2 and output2).
-turned off the setter.
-reassigned the Great to Pedal coupler from the Hauptwerk screen to my iPad stop layout (for this organ only - I'm using TouchOSC on an iPad for my stop control).
-confirmed the touch screen turns the stop on and off appropriately from the iPad.
-confirmed the piston turns the reversible (Great to Pedal coupler) on appropriately.

When the 'all pistons stepper +1' is activated, the stop from my iPad (Touch OSC interface) no longer advances the stepper. (Great! that was part of my problem). The piston I have assigned to A2 Master Reversible does step ahead as I expected.

However, there is an exception/problem:

If I am stepping through a registration sequence using any other (physical) piston to advance, everything goes as expected - 1 piston press advances the stepper 1 step. If I use the piston I have assigned to A2 Master Reversible, it advances 1 step UNLESS the Great to Pedal coupler (the one I have assigned as the only stop to A2 Master Reversible) is part of the setter stage I'm trying to advance through. If the Great to Pedal is part of the saved registration in the step, the first press of the piston disengages the stop (the Great to Pedal goes off), however, the stepper does not advance. The second press of the piston advances the stepper one step. If the Great to Pedal stop is not part of the saved registration for that step, the piston does advance one step on the first press. So if the stop is engaged, the first press turns it off, the second press advances the stepper. If the stop if not on, only 1 press is needed to advance.

I tried clearing the midi input for the stop (Great to Pedal), which currently has midi input1 and output2 from TouchOSC. Even with this cleared (so there is no other way of accessing the stop other than the master reversible A2) the same thing happens (2 piston presses to advance the stepper - 1 to turn off the stop, 1 to advance) if the stop is part of the saved combination sequence.

Do you have any other suggestions? Are you able to reproduce this situation yourself?

Thanks again,
Kevin

mdyde

Re: Stepper resetting to 000 when changing Comb file

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 2:08 pm

Hello Kevin,

ns_organist wrote:However, there is an exception/problem:

If I am stepping through a registration sequence using any other (physical) piston to advance, everything goes as expected - 1 piston press advances the stepper 1 step. If I use the piston I have assigned to A2 Master Reversible, it advances 1 step UNLESS the Great to Pedal coupler (the one I have assigned as the only stop to A2 Master Reversible) is part of the setter stage I'm trying to advance through. If the Great to Pedal is part of the saved registration in the step, the first press of the piston disengages the stop (the Great to Pedal goes off), however, the stepper does not advance. The second press of the piston advances the stepper one step. If the Great to Pedal stop is not part of the saved registration for that step, the piston does advance one step on the first press. So if the stop is engaged, the first press turns it off, the second press advances the stepper. If the stop if not on, only 1 press is needed to advance.

I tried clearing the midi input for the stop (Great to Pedal), which currently has midi input1 and output2 from TouchOSC. Even with this cleared (so there is no other way of accessing the stop other than the master reversible A2) the same thing happens (2 piston presses to advance the stepper - 1 to turn off the stop, 1 to advance) if the stop is part of the saved combination sequence.

Do you have any other suggestions? Are you able to reproduce this situation yourself?

Yes -- I can reproduce that (without needing to auto-detect anything to MIDI). I've logged as a bug that the 'all pistons stepper +1' function isn't currently working properly when used via master a reversible in the specific case that the reversible has a non-blank registration stored to it and if any of the stops of its stored registration are currently on. (As you reported, in that situation the first press currently turns the reversible's stops off directly, whereas in 'all pistons stepper +1' mode it should *only* advance the stepper, without also performing any of its normal 'reversible' functionality).

My apologies for that oversight. I can't promise a quick fix for it, I'm afraid, but it is logged so that it gets looked at properly in the medium-term.

The only work-around that I can suggest would be to avoid programming any registrations to the master reversibles if you want to use 'all pistons stepper +1' with them, but then again I do appreciate that that wouldn't help you because the reason that you wanted to use the reversibles in the first place was a means to get your MIDI pistons sometimes to control couplers directly, but also to be usable for 'all pistons stepper +1'. Hence, I don't think you'd be able to do that at present -- sorry. For now, I don't think there's a way that you could get a given MIDI piston sometimes to toggle a coupler but also to work with 'all pistons stepper +1'.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Previous

Return to Technical support