It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm

Alessandria: no audio through headphones

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

IainStinson

Re: Alessandria: no audio through headphones

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 12:00 pm

I note that Martin is providing you with some support. Once you've got your headphones playing the following may help!

{The trial organ comes with the CLOSE audio channel set to 100% and the others to 0%. It may be that the default routing is sending the CLOSE audio channel to an audio group that does not have any defined audio output. Changing the levels group output levels on the Alessandria Settings panel my resolve the problem....or not...}

Quick things to check:

With the Alessandria organ loaded
a. Open the In the Audio, Midi Performance large control panel for the organ.
(from the HW menu selectView | Large floating control panels....| Audui, Midi Performance....)
Check that the trim level is around -10db and that the volume level is not zero (80%)

b. Open the Audio Mixer, Routing ... large control panel
(from the HW menu select
View |Load large floating control panels for this Organ | Audio Mixer, Routing and Voicing/Panning Settings.)
Check that the Audio preset is the same as the preset for an instrument that plays.

c. In the Alessandria organ control screen make sure that the levels for the sound under the heading Audio Group levels, Master volumne (for each of close Front and Rear are not 0%. You change them by rolling the mouse through the digits.
(The default for this organ is that the Close setting is 100% and the others are 0%.)

d. If you are using the trial version, ensure the stops you are included in the trial version of the sample set.

If this doesn't help then perhaps try the following....

1. Load a sample set which works on your set up.
(Play a few notes with stops drawn to be sure it produces sound.)

2. Open the Audio Mixer, Routing... control panel
(from the HW menu select
View |Load large floating control panels for this Organ | Audio Mixer, Routing and Voicing/Panning Settings.)

3. Note which Mixer Preset is being used by the organ which plays.

4. From the Audio Mixer, Routing.... control panel, click on Rank Routing to open the ranks display. Click on one of the ranks of this organ for a stop which you know sounds.
Look at the right panel of the screen.
Note the name of the primary audio group used for each of the output perspectives (1-4) shown for that rank.
[This is to find details on an audio output path which works on your computer.]

5. Now load the Alessandria sample set.

6. Open the the Audio Mixer, Routing... control panel. Ensure the audio profile setting is the same as you noted about at step 3.

7.From the the audio Mixer Routing.. panel, open the Rank Routing panel.

8. On the Rank Routing Panel, select all the ranks (click on the first one, hold down cntrl, and scroll down to the last one. Click it and then release control).
In the right frame make output settings for the output perspectives (1-4) the same as you observed for the organ that sounded (as noted in step 4 above). When yo have done this click OK.
[This should have set the audio output for the Alex. to the same settings that worked for the organ which sounded.]

9. Trying drawing some stops on the Alessandria. organ and use the mouse to click a few notes on the console display. Do you get any sound?

Once you are getting some sound... then you can refine how you have set things up...

Best of luck

Iain

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 2:12 pm

i just had a sort of similar issue with the new Doesburg demo, with a difference …

All of the demo ranks played fine through headphones, but when I turned on my speakers I was able to hear only one of the demo ranks. Odd. Rebooting, and recaching, and checking where I was sending all of the audio, it still didn't work.

Then, after staring at it for a minute the light bulb lit and I reached up and slapped myself in the forehead. I had neglected to select ALL of the ranks before assigning the primary output group in the Organ Settings —> Rank Routing to Audio Mixer … Bus Groups …" menu.

Might be something to look at. Obviously don't know how you have your routing configured, but this fixed MY cockpit error … :mrgreen:
Grant

Clarabella8

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am

Firstly, apologies for letting this thread go quiet: circumstances have kept me away from the organ for a while but I am now happily back at the console...

Secondly, thank you very much for all the suggestions to fix this problem. Today's update:

I was working my way through Iain's suggestions when it occurred to me I ought to test the audio output through both the headphones and the built-in speakers of my touch screen, just in case it was the headphone set-up at fault, and even though they work with other organs. Nothing from the speakers. When I switched back to the headphones this time, immediately the blower fired up and all worked perfectly! Hurrah! I have done this alternation before, so quite what was different this time I'm not sure, but so long as the problem is fixed I'm happy to remain mystified... The only thing I had changed prior to this was the decibel level to -10 from -1, so probably that was it - if so, thank you Iain!

And now I can enjoy the excellent Alessandria sampleset at last!

Once again, many thanks to all.

Clarabella

mdyde

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 12:26 pm

Thanks, Clarabella8.

Glad to hear it's working well now, whatever might have caused it!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

james.flores

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Is there a perspective mix in the Alessandria set? Make sure you have the volume turned up for the front ranks if you loaded the front ranks, for example.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 6:43 am

Hello Clarabella,

A quick thought as a follow-up:

Also make sure that you aren't filling (or nearly filling) the Mac's RAM with the Alessandria sample set. macOS' audio does sometimes misbehave in strange ways (sometimes resulting in no audio) if macOS is running low on memory, e.g.:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19582

Keep at least several GB of RAM reported as 'free' on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel. (That figure is only a very, very rough estimate of how much might safely be usable, since Hauptwerk can't know exactly how much the operating system and other process might need.)
Best regards, Martin.

Clarabella8

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 am

Thank you Martin - this has indeed turned out to be the root of the problem.

Since I last posted, the sample set has been working intermittently, forcing me to plug my headphones into the touch screen headphone socket when the Mac mini socket would not work.

Now having seen the recent posts about a similar problem I reloaded the organ removing the close set of samples and it's working properly. Hauptwerk said I had 3GB of the 32GB of RAM left but, as you say, this was obviously not accurate.

Definitely one to remember for another time!

Clarabella

mdyde

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 am

Thanks, Clarabella.

Glad to hear you've managed to resolve it now.
Best regards, Martin.
Previous

Return to Technical support