It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:36 am

Registration stepper (-1/+1) jumps a step (or two)

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

PCF

Registration stepper (-1/+1) jumps a step (or two)

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 am

Good day,

The registration stepper in HW sometimes jumps a step (or two), up or down, when I use it with two foot pistons, left for 'trigger -1' and right for 'trigger +1'. I had a similar problem with two previously assigned thumb pistons. The pistons (all momentary) are in fine working condition, and does not present a similar problem for other ('for all organs') functions, e.g., with the master generals or scoped combinations.

HW auto detects my console's thumb/foot pistons (for the registration stepper) as 'Stop on hold-piston: MINI note-on/off'. 'Momentary piston ...' and 'Prevent rapid piston re-triggering' greyed out and cannot be enabled.

Does anybody have a solution for this? I would be most grateful.

Best wishes,
Pharny

mdyde

Re: Registration stepper (-1/+1) jumps a step (or two)

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 5:58 am

Hello Pharny,

Probably sometimes your pistons' contacts 'bounce'. You could verify that by temporarily turning on the 'Log all MIDI messages ...' option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab, then looking in the activity log ('Help | View activity log') once the problem has next occurred. If there are two or more MIDI messages received from the piston in a row, when the piston was only pressed once, then that's the problem.

PCF wrote:HW auto detects my console's thumb/foot pistons (for the registration stepper) as 'Stop on hold-piston: MINI note-on/off'. 'Momentary piston ...' and 'Prevent rapid piston re-triggering' greyed out and cannot be enabled.

Since those particular pistons (+/-1, etc.) would never be lighted (i.e. are momentary/stateless) anyway, via the settings screen (right-click on them, 'Adjust ...') you could change their 'Input' type to 'Momentary piston: MIDI note-on' and then tick the 'Prevent rapid re-engaging (de-bounce)' option. Hauptwerk's software de-bouncing functionality is necessarily basic, but it might be enough to stop the problem.

If your pistons' MIDI encoder circuitry has hardware de-bouncing functionality (maybe configurable via jumpers on the circuit board, or similar) then that would be the ideal option.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 7:25 am

On HW 6, ensure that if the advance and retard pistons are set for all organs that they are not set of for the instrument you are playing as well. If you are using the global assignment make sure that you have cleared the assignment for the stepper function for the particular instrument you are playing.

Toe pistons often have open contacts which become less reliable when not used for a while - pressing them several times in succession can usually clean / clear the contacts.

Iain

david515mi

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:54 am

Here’s how to activate the debounce: from the "Input from MIDI stop/piston or key" menu, select "momentary piston: MIDI note-on." The debounce option will no longer be greyed-out. I was having the same problem as you; one of the guys at Midiworks gave me this solution, and it works. Whenever I assign a toe stud, I make sure to do this. Hope it solves your problem.

David

PCF

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 3:00 am

Thank you all for the helpful comments.

Best
Pharny

mdyde

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 4:26 am

Thanks, Pharny.
Best regards, Martin.

Sample_02

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:21 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Pharny,

Probably sometimes your pistons' contacts 'bounce'. You could verify that by temporarily turning on the 'Log all MIDI messages ...' option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab, then looking in the activity log ('Help | View activity log') once the problem has next occurred. If there are two or more MIDI messages received from the piston in a row, when the piston was only pressed once, then that's the problem.

PCF wrote:HW auto detects my console's thumb/foot pistons (for the registration stepper) as 'Stop on hold-piston: MINI note-on/off'. 'Momentary piston ...' and 'Prevent rapid piston re-triggering' greyed out and cannot be enabled.

Since those particular pistons (+/-1, etc.) would never be lighted (i.e. are momentary/stateless) anyway, via the settings screen (right-click on them, 'Adjust ...') you could change their 'Input' type to 'Momentary piston: MIDI note-on' and then tick the 'Prevent rapid re-engaging (de-bounce)' option. Hauptwerk's software de-bouncing functionality is necessarily basic, but it might be enough to stop the problem.

If your pistons' MIDI encoder circuitry has hardware de-bouncing functionality (maybe configurable via jumpers on the circuit board, or similar) then that would be the ideal option.

I had the exact same bounce problem. With the Piston -1. But did not know how to cancel the greyed out de-bounce option. Following your instruction how to cancel that, my bouncing piston problem is solved as well.
Thank you.

Sample_02

mdyde

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:24 am

Thanks, Sample_02.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support