It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

Rank List Box Bug

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Theorbe

Rank List Box Bug

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 6:32 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

Re: Rank List Box Bug

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 5:16 am

Thanks, Andy.

Internally Hauptwerk uses the Qt multi-platform library for its graphical user interface. The left-hand object list boxes on the settings screens, and the rank list on the voicing screen, are QtTreeWidget controls. I've just checked, and you're right that evidently on Windows Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down key combinations don't appear to do anything with those controls (although other standard Windows controls do work for them, including Ctrl+A, Shift+Up, Shift+Down for multi-selection). I don't know whether that's intentional on the part of Qt's makers for some reason, or simply an oversight. If the latter, hopefully a later version of Qt will add support for those particular key combinations. Anyway, I'll log it in our database for now, just so that we have a record of it.

Theorbe wrote:I did try to check to see if this was a known bug from your “know bugs” web page but it returns “Page not found” (as do several other of your “website support pages”).

The release notice lists non-trivial known issues and bugs that are likely to be of relevance to users. We did also post a temporary list on the forum ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970 ) for v5.0.0 issues/bugs prior to v5.0.1's release. (The forthcoming v6.0.2 will address additional things found since v6.0.1.)

Aside from that, to my knowledge there hasn't actually been a separate known bugs page on the main website for quite a few years. Can I ask where you found that broken link? If so, I'll pass that on to the people that maintain the website to get that addressed. Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Theorbe

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 7:43 am

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarsonCooman

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 9:00 am

mdyde wrote:If the latter, hopefully a later version of Qt will add support for those particular key combinations. Anyway, I'll log it in our database for now, just so that we have a record of it.

Just to add to Andy's observation, it was only in HW 6 that these shortcuts stopped working in these dialog boxes. I used them myself every time I used those screens in HW 5 and 4.

mdyde

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 am

Theorbe wrote:The links in question are at:

Technical support / Announcements / Website Support Pages

Thanks, Andy.

That was actually a very old topic, referring to a long-obsolete version of the website. I've changed that topic so that it's no longer labelled as an announcement, to avoid future confusion.

Theorbe wrote:Regarding the list view, the navigation and selection shortcuts do work as expected in the Rank Audio Memory Options dialog. So apparently it is supported within the Qt framework. Perhaps you’ve hooked to a signal / implemented a virtual function in that dialog but not in the others? (Previously a software developer but not familiar with Qt.)

Thanks for that information. Upon further investigation, it does appear to be the case the settings screens that allow multi-selection but which have real-time virtual MIDI/audio indicator LEDS in their item lists don't currently work with Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down key combinations, whereas those that don't have real-time MIDI/audio indicators do allow Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down. (Also the voicing screen doesn't allow Ctrl+Up/Ctrl-Down.)

CarsonCooman wrote:Just to add to Andy's observation, it was only in HW 6 that these shortcuts stopped working in these dialog boxes. I used them myself every time I used those screens in HW 5 and 4.

Hello Carson,

I've just checked, and v6 does actually behave the same as v5 in terms of the list of screens that allow Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down -- I think you perhaps misremembered v5 as allowing Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down in general, just because some screens do allow those key combinations, and others don't. However, as you mention, all of the multi-selection capable settings screen in v4 did allow those key combinations.

v4 used a much older version of Qt than v5/v6, so I'm not sure whether that's due to some change within Qt, or due indirectly to some code change within v5. (I suspect the former.) I'll update the bug report accordingly, and see whether that's anything that we can readily address within Hauptwerk (otherwise it would probably need to wait for a fix in a later Qt version).
Best regards, Martin.

CarsonCooman

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 4:45 pm

mdyde wrote:I've just checked, and v6 does actually behave the same as v5 in terms of the list of screens that allow Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down -- I think you perhaps misremembered v5 as allowing Ctrl+Up/Ctrl+Down in general, just because some screens do allow those key combinations, and others don't. However, as you mention, all of the multi-selection capable settings screen in v4 did allow those key combinations.

Yes, you must be right, Martin. I remembered losing this functionality "recently," but it must have been with the v5 upgrade and not the more recent v6 one. (It was just so many years with v4.)

mdyde

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks, Carson.

Just as a quick update: I've been looking into this further, and it's simply the way that the version of Qt that we're using for v5/v6 behaves for those types of controls when used in 'extended selection' mode (which allows multiple selections), even with a trivial test case. Qt provides an alternative 'multi-selection' mode, but I think people would find that considerably less convenient overall, since clicking on one item then never de-selects any other, and the Ctrl and Shift keys then do nothing at all). Hence I think that's intentional on Qt's part, and is just a minor behavioural difference to be aware of between the much-older version of Qt used for v4, and the newer one for v5/v6.
Best regards, Martin.

Theorbe

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 4:25 am

Thanks, Andy.
Best regards, Martin.

Theorbe

Rank List Box Bug

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by Theorbe on Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 am

Thanks very much, Andy.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support