It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 pm

Auto-Detect finding a midi port that doesn't exist

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

damuehlbauer

Auto-Detect finding a midi port that doesn't exist

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:04 pm

I have a piston rail that is used exclusively for stepper pistons. When I originally installed it I used Channel 10 and port 8 on my MOTU Express 128.Today, I changed that to Channel 8 and port 6 because the 8 'in' only exists on the front of the Motu unit which was inconvenient.

Here's the curious part. When I Auto-Detect one of those pistons the only choice on the drop-down is Channel 10 port 8. I have even deleted that channel/port from the midi list but it still appears. I have been able to 'adjust' the midi assignment on the main control menu, but just don't understand why Auto-Detect is 'stuck' on this old setting.

Before I changed the midi channel/port, the 'xx0', 'xx1' etc. buttons would light up to match the corresponding button on the mini-control menu. Now, they only light up if I push them to select the setting. In other words, they are not recognizing that the setting exists and lighting on their own (if, for example, I use the '+1' button).

It's sort of working, but I'd like it to work like it did before (and as I think it should).

Thanks for any suggestions.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

mdyde

Re: Auto-Detect finding a midi port that doesn't exist

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Hello David,

For good measure, please first try exiting and re-launching Hauptwerk (in case the operating system's list of MIDI ports has changed since Hauptwerk was launched; Hauptwerk doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices).

I assume you're using Hauptwerk v6, which handles MIDI ports differently from v4-v5:

In Hauptwerk v6, MIDI settings are stored relative to the *rows* ('Console MIDI IN <nn>') on the MIDI ports screen. If you want to change to which physical MIDI port some MIDI hardware (e.g. your stepper MIDI pistons) is connected, whilst retaining your existing settings that related to that hardware, then you need to change the column (physical MIDI port) that's ticked in the existing row. For example, if your physical stepper MIDI pistons were previously connected to a physical MIDI IN port that was ticked in the 'Console MIDI IN 04' row, and you've now changed those physical pistons to be connected to a different physical MIDI IN port, then you need to change which column (physical MIDI IN port) is ticked in that same row ('Console MIDI IN 04').

To avoid any possibility for confusion when changing MIDI ports (or if the operating system or driver were ever to rename them, as sometimes happens), it's highly recommended that you give the relevant rows meaningful names/aliases. In the example above, you might name the 'Console MIDI IN 04' row something like 'Stepper pistons'.

Exactly the same applies with MIDI OUT ports if relevant (but for the rows/columns on the MIDI OUT ports screen tab). Updating the MIDI IN ports screen tab won't automatically update ticked columns/rows on the MIDI OUT ports tab, since you might intentionally have a given piece of physical MIDI hardware connected to different MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports/interfaces.

You can also see which 'virtual MIDI port' (Console MIDI IN/OUT row on the MIDI ports screen) any given virtual switch/function (e.g. a master stepper piston) is using by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Adjust MIDI/trigger settings manually ...'.

N.B. Also that in Hauptwerk v6 functions can be auto-detected globally ('for all organs') and/or per-organ. Be careful not to detect any given function or physical MIDI piston both ways (unless you specifically want both functions to be triggered when the relevant organ is loaded) -- neither will automatically override the other. If in doubt, after making sure that your MIDI ports are ticked and named appropriately, right-click on the relevant virtual piston, select 'Clear all MIDI/trigger settings ...', then auto-detect it again (either 'for all organs', or 'for this organ', but not both -- if auto-detecting 'for all organs' then don't also auto-detect the same physical piston or virtual function 'for this organ' for any organs).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

damuehlbauer

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm

That fixed it. I had forgotten to adjust the Midi-Out tab settings to match Midi-In. Duh.

Thanks, as always, Martin.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

mdyde

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks, David.

Excellent. You're very welcome. Have a good weekend.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support