It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Rotterdam Hoofdorgel Audio Issues (Silence) on MacOS Big Sur

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

atrytko

Rotterdam Hoofdorgel Audio Issues (Silence) on MacOS Big Sur

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 1:18 am

Hello, all!

I recently upgraded my Mac machine to Big Sur. While most of my sample sets work fine, I've been having audio troubles with Rotterdam Laurenskerk Hoofdorgel since the update.

When I uninstall / reinstall the organ definition, everything works fine. However, as soon as I quit Hauptwerk and re-enter, or even go into the Audio Devices and Channels screen (whether or not I make changes), the audio stops working. The Audio, Midi, and Performance window shows Midi and Polyphony activity, but no Audio activity whatsoever.

The only way I have found to fix this is to uninstall the organ definition and reinstall it (rather inconvenient as this is accompanied by a very long loading time).

I've updated Hauptwerk to version 6.0.2.018 and have installed the RottSurr1.21 update, but am still having this issue. I'm running MacOS Big Sur version 11.2.3.

Any suggestions?

Thank you, have a nice day!

-Alex

mdyde

Re: Rotterdam Hoofdorgel Audio Issues (Silence) on MacOS Big

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:13 am

Hello Alex,

I suspect that particular organ is over-filling your RAM on that particular macOS version (which may need more RAM for itself than previous macOS versions). macOS is particularly sensitive to a shortage of RAM, often resulting in no audio.

As a test, just to see whether that's the problem, try loading the organ via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options', highlight all ranks, and change their channel format to mono (which will use about half as much memory).

If that eliminates it (as I think it will), then it indicates that you were indeed over-filling the RAM when they were loaded in stereo, so when setting them back to stereo you'll need to adjust some rank options to save enough memory to keep macOS Big Sur happy.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

atrytko

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:26 am

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the reply - Your suggestion to use mono channel formatting does indeed seem to have fixed the issue! I knew I was cutting it a bit close with this organ, but I've got 32 GB of RAM, and on the Hauptwerk loader it looked like I had about 4 GB extra -- but after taking a look in Activity Monitor, things looked even closer than that. This fix makes sense, it just wasn't something I thought to try given the behavior I mentioned where it worked fine exactly one time after re-installing the organ definition file. In any case, this definitely unblocks me from using this instrument and I will play around to find the most appropriate RAM-saving techniques for my own usage.

Thanks again, have a great day!

-Alex

mdyde

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks very much, Alex.

Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support