It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:59 am

Audio glitches | Caen surround

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

a35

Audio glitches | Caen surround

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 am

Hi,
I would like to ask you for a help in solving my audio glitches on Caen surround. Dry version is running well, on far higher polyphony limit. Here are some details:
Setup:
Intel Core i5-10600
64GB DDR4-2666MHz
SSD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
MSI MEG Z490I UNIFY
Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt interface

Hauptwerk 4.2.1.003 with Caen Dry+Surround

Hauptwerk settings for Caen Surround:
10 080 polyphony limit
48kHz sample rate
5.7ms sound delay

I tried to decrease polyphony limit (to 5k or lower) but it has no effect on this audio glitches.

I recorded video with this issue: https://youtu.be/gJzUoqBER-E
According to task manager, it seems, that Hauptwerk is somehow running on single core, leaving 5 cores unused.

Thank you very much!
P.S: if you are interesting, I have brand new console (I named it Palatin Organ), I worked on it three years, and here are some pictures: https://www.facebook.com/palatin.organ

mdyde

Re: Audio glitches | Caen surround

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 am

Hello a35,

Very briefly (since we no longer officially support Hauptwerk v4):

- Make sure you the latest driver installed for your audio interface, and that you have its ASIO driver selected in Hauptwerk, and with a reasonable buffer size (e.g. try 1024, which should always be safe -- smaller buffer sizes are more CPU-intensive and more sensitive to timing/glitches).

- Make sure you aren't over-filling the PC's RAM. Keep at least a few GB reported as 'free' in Hauptwerk. Try loading all ranks in mono (which will use about half the RAM), just as a test to see whether shortage of RAM is the problem.

- Try setting the polyphony limit to a small value (e.g. 2048), just as a test.

- If those things don't solve it, try working though the 'Performance tuning' section in the user guide. (The current v6.0.2 version has the most up-to-date steps in the 'Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' subsection: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ .)

a35 wrote:I recorded video with this issue: https://youtu.be/gJzUoqBER-E
According to task manager, it seems, that Hauptwerk is somehow running on single core, leaving 5 cores unused.

Your video doesn't appear to show which CPU cores are being used. Hauptwerk will always and automatically distribute its processing across your available CPU cores (unless you've specifically changed some advanced settings in Windows to allow the application only to access a single core, or unless you've specifically and manually edited Hauptwerk's internal settings XML file -- which you should never do -- to change the AudioEngine_MaxNumberOfCPUCoresToUse setting to a non-zero value).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

a35

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 10:51 am

Hi,
thank you for your quick reply.

Drivers: up to date
RAM: 50GB free
Polyphony limit does not changed sound. Just note, that Caen Dry version is running well, with more than 20 000 polyphony (48kHz, 5.7ms delay).

Video: notice the cpu graph. Cpu is stuck on 20% load. I did not changed neither windows settings, nor hauptwerk internal configuration files.

mdyde

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks, a35.

Some quick final suggestions (which are also covered in that 'Performance tuning' chapter in the manual, amongst others):

- Do make sure that you have your audio interface's native ASIO driver selected.

- Try a buffer size of 1024, just as a test. Also make sure that your audio interface is actually using that buffer size. (Some audio interfaces ignore application-requested buffer sizes.)

- Try leaving LatencyMon ( https://resplendence.com/latencymon ) running while Hauptwerk is running, and see if it reports any problems with real-time performance of the PC when the glitches occur. It often gives a clue as to their source (e.g. DPC latency problems).

(Hauptwerk will definitely distribute its processing across available CPU cores.)

If you'd like more help from us officially you'd need to upgrade to the current Hauptwerk version (v6) though, I'm afraid, otherwise I'll need to leave you to look into it, or perhaps other Hauptwerk users will have some additional suggestions.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support