It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 am

Lost launchpad settings

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

martinhoffen

Lost launchpad settings

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 2:33 pm

I have recently changed my HDD for a SSD.
I cloned to old disk onto the new SSD, and then physically swapped the drives over.
Almost everything worked perfectly using the new disk, except that my Launchpad no longer appeared to work on my Hauptwerk 4.1. The launchpad still functions normally if I detect a stop and programme it to the launchpad buttons. But all the previous settings to my organs have disappeared. I also use a launchpad mini for the piston combinations, and that works perfectly.

Can anyone tell me about the file identity which holds the launchpad settings for my organs. I still have the old HDD, and various backups, so if I can find the relevant file, I can copy it onto the new disk. Otherwise I face the arduous task of re mapping every stop on every one of my virtual organ sets.

mdyde

Re: Lost launchpad settings

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello Martin,

Briefly (since we don't officially support Hauptwerk v4 any longer):

The problem will be that your computer has changed the name that it is presenting for the Launchpad MIDI device, which will make it appear to be a different/new device to any MIDI software. Hauptwerk v6+ has a mechanism for migrating MIDI settings from one MIDI port/name to another, but earlier versions didn't, so in v4 you would indeed need to auto-detect your settings again, I'm afraid.

Since you still have your original drive (and assuming that you could install it and that your original settings still worked in it, i.e. that the Launchpad device name remained as it did originally), if you wanted to upgrade to v6 then you would be able to migrate the Launchpad settings for your new drive (i.e. to whatever name the computer then presents for the Launchpad). See this topic for that: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19543&p=146758#p146691
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

Re: Lost launchpad settings

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:38 am

You can make a backup or clone of the old HDD drive using a software program such as Acronis True Image.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/

With this program, you you can clone your former HDD image (source) to the new SSD (destination). What this does is copy all of the programs and settings providing an exact , identical copy (or image) of everything from the HDD to the SSD without needing to do this manually. The actual cloning (believe it or not) really is simple to do altho it may take some time depending on how much data is on the old HDD. With some larger drives, I let the software do it's "thing" and run overnight.

Another (free) program to do this is Macrium Reflect. Called with this program - Direct disk cloning.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Cloning creates an exact image on the new drive so that everything is where and how you left it on the old drive. The new drive needs to be at least the same size or larger than the old drive. The destination drive can be connected internally (if the computer has the necessary drive bay) or it can be connected externally by means of a USB adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133616415707?hash=item1f1c28b3db:g:vYQAAOSwgtBf5GD1

BTW, cloning overwrites anything that was on the new (destination) drive leaving the old (source) drive untouched.

Within some of these cloning/backup programs, there is an option to shut the computer down when the process is finished.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support