It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 am

Mietke Harpsichord Setup

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

EnigmaticOcean

Mietke Harpsichord Setup

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 12:12 am

I recently decided to purchase the Mietke Harpsichord to play my favourite Scarlatti sonatas after listening to many wonderful demos and performances, however when I load up the instrument the default tone has so much reverb (as if the instrument is in a very large hall) and makes it unplayable. I have gone through the manual and looked for tutorials, but still unsure how to go about fixing this seemly simple problem.

If someone would be kind enough to give me some guidance it would be much appreciated. Also if there are any Hauptwerk Harpsichord users out there, I would love to hear about your setup.

Other minor problems I have include, unable to play stacatto notes (the sound wave gets cut off too short), and repeated notes/trills cannot register quick enough. I have heard great performances with this virtual instrument that don't appear to have these problems, so I am sure there is away around it : )

mdyde

Re: Mietke Harpsichord Setup

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 4:34 am

Hello EnigmaticOcean,

I don't have experience myself with the sample set, but here are some quick thoughts, in case they help:

EnigmaticOcean wrote:however when I load up the instrument the default tone has so much reverb (as if the instrument is in a very large hall) and makes it unplayable. I have gone through the manual and looked for tutorials, but still unsure how to go about fixing this seemly simple problem.

In case you're adding any additional reverb in Hauptwerk v5+'s mixer, you could disable it for that particular organ by setting the 'Mixer impulse response reverb wetness scalar' to 0% on the 'Audio Mixer, Routing and Voicing/Panning Settings' large control panel ('View | Large floating control panels ...').

Of course if you're adding any additional reverb externally to Hauptwerk (e.g. in a VST host or in your audio interface's control panel/hardware) then you would need to turn that off externally to Hauptwerk.

If that doesn't solve it, then the reverb must have been recorded into the sample set's samples. There's no fully realistic way to remove that, but you could try truncating the release samples of its virtual 'ranks', the option for which can be found via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options'.

EnigmaticOcean wrote:Other minor problems I have include, unable to play stacatto notes (the sound wave gets cut off too short), and repeated notes/trills cannot register quick enough. I have heard great performances with this virtual instrument that don't appear to have these problems, so I am sure there is away around it : )

In case it's relevant, you could try adjusting the 'MIDI velocity sensitivity adjustment' (e.g. try 0% as a test) on the 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine' screen tab.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Have found the Cambalo Ruckers model to be somewhat drier which you may already be aware:

https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/harpsichords-etc/cembalo-ruckers-model.html

OTOH, I like the tone of the Hans Ruckers II le Jeune which isn't exactly dry either.

https://www.modartt.com/harpsichord

Are keyboards you use touch responsive? Found that makes quite a difference in the playing experience.

Rgds,
Ed

EnigmaticOcean

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 am

mdyde wrote:If that doesn't solve it, then the reverb must have been recorded into the sample set's samples. There's no fully realistic way to remove that, but you could try truncating the release samples of its virtual 'ranks', the option for which can be found via 'Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options'.

Thank you for the reply. Experimenting with the release sample truncation worked pretty well. The reverb cut off is much more satisfactory now at "simulated semi-dry, long decay (2s)."

I currently use the Lite Edition so I don't have access to the audio mixer, but could there still possibly be an additional reverb coming from somewhere? (I wouldn't mind upgrading to Advanced if it fixes the problem). There is no reverb coming from my digital keyboard and I don't use it with any other audio interface.

Now that I think about it, the problem playing repeated notes and trills is most likely stemming from my weighted keyboard. Normally when I play, a key only needs to come about halfway up before being pressed again to repeat, but when I use Hauptwerk a key needs to be come fully up before repeating. Making a MIDI velocity sensitivity adjustment or fooling around with Auto-detect midi trigger settings didn't seem to have any effect.

EnigmaticOcean

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:39 am

engrssc wrote:Have found the Cambalo Ruckers model to be somewhat drier which you may already be aware:

https://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/harpsichords-etc/cembalo-ruckers-model.html

OTOH, I like the tone of the Hans Ruckers II le Jeune which isn't exactly dry either.

https://www.modartt.com/harpsichord

Are keyboards you use touch responsive? Found that makes quite a difference in the playing experience.

Rgds,
Ed

Thank you for the suggestions. I have yet to try the Cambalo Ruckers, but I have been using the Hans Ruckers II le Jeune for a year now with Piano Teq and love the sound! My keyboard is touch responsive and somewhat heavily weighted (Kawaii CA98).

mdyde

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 3:29 am

Thanks, EnigmaticOcean.

EnigmaticOcean wrote:I currently use the Lite Edition so I don't have access to the audio mixer, but could there still possibly be an additional reverb coming from somewhere?

No -- Hauptwerk definitely wouldn't be applying any additional reverb within the Lite Edition.

EnigmaticOcean wrote:Now that I think about it, the problem playing repeated notes and trills is most likely stemming from my weighted keyboard. Normally when I play, a key only needs to come about halfway up before being pressed again to repeat, but when I use Hauptwerk a key needs to be come fully up before repeating. Making a MIDI velocity sensitivity adjustment or fooling around with Auto-detect midi trigger settings didn't seem to have any effect.

It might be worth seeing whether there are any settings within your MIDI keyboard itself that affect where within its keys' travel it sends MIDI note-on/off messages (although I think it's fairly unlikely -- I've never seen a MIDI keyboard that allows control over that).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support