It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 am

Hauptwerk & Ilok

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

RODANDUNA

Hauptwerk & Ilok

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:17 am

Hi I don't think this has been dealt with in the manual although l have seen similar.on a post.
I have 2 hauptwerk versions 5 & 6 on 2 different organs that I own, each with its own Ilok & license manager with a different sign in to each of them, on my main VTPO I have V5 & all the Paramount organs & Windows 7 premium & I wish to move H/W 6.02 to that organ keeping the paramounts where they are & move V5 to the other organ Windows 10 but keeping the organs where they are,
In short I just want to change places with the H/W versions Hope this is clear Thanks Rod

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk & Ilok

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:52 am

Hello Rod,

Is my understanding correct that:

- You have two iLok dongles, one for each computer.

- You have two completely separate iLok accounts, with some licences activated in one, and some in the other? If so, why do you have two accounts? That potentially complicates things because PACE will charge you a fee to transfer licences between iLok accounts (see their 'How do I transfer licenses to another iLok account?' FAQ here: https://ilok.com/#!faq ). I'm not sure whether it's possible to move them via a dongle instead, so as to avoid the transfer fee.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

RODANDUNA

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 am

Hi Martin thanks I have 2 Ilok accounts so that I would have 2 stand alone organs & not changing the Ilok key, brtween one & the other This enables for both organs to be played at once which I thought was the best way to go for me? So now a bit confused as to what is my next move I will have a look at the link that you sent & see if this leads somewhere. I haven;t tried as yet but I assume that I can move the Ilok key between the 2 organs signing in the appropriate passwords & play the organs that are licensed to that Ilok account on either organs Thanks Martin

mdyde

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks, Rod.

RODANDUNA wrote: I have 2 Ilok accounts so that I would have 2 stand alone organs & not changing the Ilok key, brtween one & the other This enables for both organs to be played at once which I thought was the best way to go for me?

It's correct that you would need two Hauptwerk licences and two dongles for that (with one Hauptwerk licence on each dongle). However, you didn't actually need two separate iLok accounts -- it's possible to have any number of dongles and/or licences registered all within a single account. You can freely move licences around between dongles that are registered to the same iLok account, but moving licences between separate iLok accounts involves paying PACE a transfer fee ($25 per licence transferred between accounts, up to a maximum of $50 in total, according to their website).

Ideally you would want to transfer all of your licences which are currently registered to one account into the other, and then simply use that single remaining iLok account that then has all of the licences thereafter, thus allowing you freely to move licences between your dongles (all within the single remaining account) in the future whenever needed. (I.e. you would then use just one account for the future, and just ignore the empty one.)

From reading through PACE's FAQ, unfortunately I don't think there's any way that you could transfer the licences between your two separate accounts (or between your two dongles, given that they're currently registered to different accounts) without paying PACE's $50 transfer fee. However, for good measure, it might be worth emailing Francois ( support [at] hauptwerk.com ) and telling him the iLok account names of both of your accounts, just in case he's aware of any way that it could be done.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 11:59 am

Another (keeping track of things) issue is having a HW 5 license associated with one iLok dongle and a HW 6 license associated with the second iLok dongle. You can make that simpler by upgrading the HW 5 license to HW 6.

I have a similar situation in that I have 3 HW licenses (all HW 6.0) and 3 iLok dongles, all on a single iLok account. With all of (my) sample sets listed/migrated on that single iLok account.

My arrangement is that 2 of the instruments normally "live" at home with me, and one is installed at church. Each instrument has all of the sample sets installed/loaded onto the respective computer's drive. But of course can only be played if the then installed iLok dongle has the appropriate license on it.

In this way, it is very simple to juggle things around. (The dongles are color coded R , G and B).

There have been a couple special events when I moved one of the "home" organs to church for a double organ concert. Except for moving an organ, the rest was super simple. 8)

Yeah, some wouldn't care for this "friendly" arrangement with the church, however it has worked for us now for over 10 years. And they have a legal document to buy out of the arrangement at anytime. So a non issue. :)

Rgds,
Ed

RODANDUNA

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Thanks Martin & Ed for your helpful post, This gives me something to think about to try get what is best for me I will let you know what the result is Cheers Rod

engrssc

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 10:29 pm

One more piece of info. As I mentioned, all 3 instruments each have all of the organs (sample sets) loaded onto their 2TB NVMe storage drives. So each instrument is in that respect "identical", computer drivewise (at least initially that is). To do that, again initially, I set up (everything) on what I think of as my main organ. I then cloned that drive two more times. This was a starting point. Quite obviously I knew there would be changes over time, which is to be expected and is okay.

Also, I have a spare 2TB drive of the initial main setup, so if for any reason we wanted to go back to that, it's possible. In theory, this all seemed doable. But with various real musicians, there's nothing as permanent as one or many changes. The latest being the "main" home instrument will soon become a 4 manual while (initially) all 3 were 3 manual instruments.

One common denominator, all of the 3 organ computers are identical with each having easy to change components including NVMe storage drives.To make things further more interesting, one console is a horseshoe theatre organ, (my Rodgers 340), while the other two are classical. One thing we haven't done is to have an event where all three organs could be played at the same time in the same place. (Not going to happen :roll: ) What has been done, due to the pandemic is the creation of virtual choirs and virtual orchestras. 8) Who would have thought? :o

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 am

Thanks, Rod. Sorry I don't know of any other way to do it.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:34 am

An iLok dongle needs to be attached to an online Internet connected computer running the iLok License Manager when making a transfer using copy and paste.

In our case, we have all of the current individual sample set's software loaded between two fast flash (thumb) drives. Admittedly it took a little while to figure out a workable plan for this system, but once in place it's quite easy and flexible. Professional musicians work with this all the time.

Rgds,
Ed

RODANDUNA

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks Ed does that mean you have more than one license for each organ? Rod

engrssc

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 10:25 am

We have available some sample sets that I purchased 3 licenses, some sample sets with 2 licenses, but the rest only a single license. I can remove a sample set (via the iLok License Manager) from one of the iLok dongles and re-assign it to another (iLok dongle). In real life, very seldom has this re-shuffling been done.

The church organ has (normally) 4 (various) classical sample sets and 1 theatre organ sample set assigned to "it's" iLok dongle.

At home, the Rodgers 340 normally has 4 theatre organ sample sets assigned to "it's" iLok dongle and the classical instrument has a variety of classical sample sets normally assigned to "it's" iLok dongle.

And of course there are some (free to use) sample sets available that don't need a license from the sample set producer but only the Hauptwerk license. Each of the iLok dongles has a HW 6 license assigned to it.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:22 pm

At least for right now, we seem to have sufficient organ sample sets to meet the present needs. If in the future we decide to buy one or more sample set licences, we will make sure all of the 3 instrument's computer drivers are updated. Since 2 or the 3 instruments "live" at home, obviously no problem. I can access the church organ (which runs 24/7) remotely anytime.

For some time I was very much against ever having any HW organ computer able to be connected to the Internet. I've since re-configured my former (somewhat stubborn) thinking 180 degrees finding I've had far less issues and concerns allowing for selected Win 10 updates for instance. The key word is selected updates. Even tho the church organ is set up for remote access, automatic updates is turned off. As well, remote access is very limited. Some may disagree (and they have every right to do so) that connecting one's HW computer ito the Internet is ok. I blew in that same pipe for many years as well. :roll: But that's in the past. 8) Obviously any computer which connects to the Internet requires proper security.

Thoughts?

Rgds,
Ed

RODANDUNA

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Thanks Ed for the explanation I have 4 sample sets on my main organ, (4 manual) all the Paramounts the complete set of the Jensen & the Morton 4/32, but only the donation samples on the smaller Conn 650 as that might be sold sometime in the future thus the 2 separate Ilok accounts Thanks Ed for your input Cheers Rod Forgot to add with the second Ilok account it gives someone the oppatunity to add a license sample sett

engrssc

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:13 pm

I haven't looked recently regarding selling (or giving) a Hauptwerk license to another person. I know there used to be specifics in that regard within the HW license agreement. . Maybe a current clarification is available from François or Martin?

Rgds,
Ed

RODANDUNA

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks Ed Yes I think that it is a bit easier now Rod
Next

Return to Technical support