It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Lo/HI EQ missing in All Perspectives

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

MPiercey

Lo/HI EQ missing in All Perspectives

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm

I have been used to voicing (Rank Voicing/Surround screen) my sets using the Lo/Hi EQ options, but now I can only find them under the individual perspective options - there does not seem to be an All Perspectives option (like for Tuning, Amplitude, Brightness etc.). This means that I have to go into all 4 perspectives and make the same changes in order to get the samples sounding similar. While it is nice to be able to edit the perspectives individually when wanted, I find it extremely irritating that I have to go into each perspective when I need to do voicing.

Am I just missing where the global option (All perspectives) has moved to, or have we really taken a step backwards in this area? Any pointing in the right direction would be most appreciated.

mdyde

Re: Lo/HI EQ missing in All Perspectives

PostSat May 08, 2021 3:52 pm

Hello Mel,

There has never actually been an 'all perspectives' voicing parameter as such for the hi/low EQ -- prior to v5 the four output simply perspectives didn't exist, so the (only) low/hi EQ voicing parameter was for the only perspective, which was effectively output perspective 1.

The reason that there can't also be 'all perspectives' adjustments for a few voicing parameters (including the lo/hi EQ, and release truncation parameters) is that, unlike other adjustments, they are 'absolute'; they cannot add together with other adjustments. In the case of the lo/hi EQ that's because there is only one real-time voicing EQ filter per pipe per output perspective. Hence if there were also to be an 'all perspectives' lo/hi EQ adjustments and you specified a differently shaped filter (e.g. a +5 dB shelf at 12 kH with a broad transition) from one of the individual perspectives (e.g. a -3 dB shelf at 1 kHz with a steep transition), then there would be a conflict, because either the 'all perspectives' filter could apply or the per-perspective EQ, but not both (since both would require two real-time filters). Whilst one could conceive of an 'all perspectives' lo/hi EQ adjustment that, if non-zero simply overrode all four of the perspective lo/hi EQ adjustments, I think people would find that confusing.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MPiercey

PostSat May 08, 2021 5:42 pm

I appreciate the update Martin, even if it is not the answer I was hoping for. Would it not be possible to have the All Perspectives option that would copy its value to all 4 perspectives, and then they could be further adjusted in the individual perspectives? If not, then I will just have to keep notes on what changes I'm making so I apply the same changes to each perspective, it just makes the adjustments a lot more complicated.

Thanks,
Mel.

mdyde

PostSun May 09, 2021 4:38 am

Thanks, Mel.

That too would technically be possible, although I think rather unconventional, and thus having some risk of confusion. Anyway, I'll log as an enhancement request that you'd like some means to set the hi/lo EQ voicing parameters (and also the release truncation parameter, being the other one that is per-perspective only), or, more generally, any parameter, identically for all four output perspectives simultaneously.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MPiercey

PostMon May 10, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks Martin. For now I'll have to do them individually.

Return to Technical support