It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

HW6 can't see iLok dongle

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

HW6 can't see iLok dongle

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:00 am

Just now I thought I would play for an hour or so prior to driving to London, but the Gods seems to have conspired against me...

Yesterday I was playing on Groningen, and I left the computer on and the sampleset loaded. Coming back to it today I found the computer was off, probably as a result of a brief power cut, which is something that is all too common in the rural location where I live. I restarted it and got a Windows error (I suppose as a result of not having shut it down properly) and opted to load Windows 10 rather than troubleshoot. It rebooted and then decided to install a Windows update. Eventually I got to my Windows desktop, unplugged the USB MIDI interface and then plugged it in again (otherwise it doesn't show up in Device Manager on this computer and HW can't find it), and started HW. HW couldn't see my audio interface, which also needed restarting after the presumed power cut, and I had to reboot Windows to get it to appear.

With HW finally running I tried to load Groningen only to get the message that there was no licence for it (error 0068). I loaded the iLok manager and the licence was clearly visible on the dongle, so I don't know why HW couldn't see it. I thought I would reboot, and shut down HW, which decided at this point to do a backup. I don't know what it was backing up, but it took ages, despite a fast 12-core i9 processor and SSD's. I rebooted, and still HW couldn't see the licence. I tried Haarlem - same thing. Then I tried St. Anne's. Moseley, which loaded with no problem.

Back to the iLok manager - this time I found that my HW6 licence was in the cloud, not the dongle, where I had put it a couple of months ago when I was transferring everything to a new computer. Presumably that is why St. Anne's was happy to load. I moved Groningen from the dongle to the cloud and started HW again. This time it was happy to load Groningen, which is always a long process (it takes up about 96 GB in RAM), and I left the room for a few minutes. On returning it was only part-way through, as it was loading it "for the first time" i.e. regenerating the cache files.

By now I have lost about an hour, and I have a choice between a much-reduced practice session and being late for London, or not playing at all.

Obviously it isn't a very good idea to turn off a computer without shutting it down first, and I wonder whether any files have become corrupted. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what is going on and how I can put it right? Reinstalling HW is my first thought but I would prefer not to have to do that.

mdyde

Re: HW6 can't see iLok dongle

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:27 am

Hello Julian,

I doubt that re-installing Hauptwerk would make any difference to it, since if power is unexpectedly lost to a computer then the files likely to get corrupted are ones currently/recently being written to disk at the point in time of the power failure, and Hauptwerk wouldn't be writing to any files whilst left idle.

If it all seems to be working again now, and if your Hauptwerk settings are still present (such as the 'Organ | Load recent organ' list being non-empty, and your previously auto-detected MIDI settings still working) then I wouldn't worry too much about it -- perhaps Windows automatically repaired some Windows/driver files that had become corrupted. If Hauptwerk found any of its files to be corrupted it would have reported that in its log ('View | Activity log'). In that case, you could restore your last good Hauptwerk backup via 'File | Restore ...'.

If there are problems subsequently then you could try re-installing the latest versions of each of your drivers (including iLok License Manager).

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote: I thought I would reboot, and shut down HW, which decided at this point to do a backup. I don't know what it was backing up,

By default Hauptwerk will do an automatic backup periodically when it exits (based on the computer clock's time), but you can change that frequency or disable it via 'General settings | General preferences'.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri May 21, 2021 3:24 am

Thank-you, Martin, as always for your prompt and comprehensive reply.

The two things that I don't understand are:
1. Why HW appears not to be able to see the licences on the iLok dongle, though it has no problem with those on the cloud, and iLok Manager can see the dongle as normal. However, I will try reinstalling the iLok drivers and software and see if that solves the problem.

2. Why HW had to rebuid the Groningen cache after I transferred the licence from the dongle to the Cloud.

It would also be nice to be able to solve the annoying problem of Windows 10 not seeing my MOTU Midi Express 128 interface after booting up until I have unplugged it from the USB port and plugged it in again. I have tried using different USB ports and different cables. It is a new PC (a Dell Precision 3640 mini tower workstation) abd has had this problem since I got it a couple of months ago; I have had the Midi Express 128 since I first started with HW in 2003 and used it with multiple computers; prior to the current one I had a Dell Precision 7740 mobile workstation, also running Windows 10, and I would sometimes have the same problem, but I thought it was due the PC not having enough USB ports, forcing me to use the ones on a powered docking station connected to the Thunderbolt port. My workaround is to use one of the ports on the front of the PC, so at least I can reach it easily to unplug it.

I am now London now for a few days, so I won't have access to my HW set-up until I am back in Wiltshire. On the other hand I have a faster and more reliable Internet connection here so I will take this opportunity to download the current update to HW 6 for later installation (I have previously had several failed downloads in Wiltshire, which is particularly annoying as I can't use the Internet for anything else at the same time and we don't have a terrestrial signal for TV, digital radio, mobile phone or 4G).

mdyde

PostFri May 21, 2021 5:04 am

Thanks, Julian.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:The two things that I don't understand are:
1. Why HW appears not to be able to see the licences on the iLok dongle, though it has no problem with those on the cloud, and iLok Manager can see the dongle as normal. However, I will try reinstalling the iLok drivers and software and see if that solves the problem

Hauptwerk just sees whatever licences the iLok system reports as being present. Perhaps some part of the iLok software had become corrupted somehow, and reinstalling iLok License Manager may solve it. Also, make sure that the relevant licence is actually activated to your iLok dongle, of course. Hauptwerk has no knowledge of where any given licence is (dongle or cloud) -- just whether the iLok system reports it as being present at the relevant time it's needed.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:2. Why HW had to rebuid the Groningen cache after I transferred the licence from the dongle to the Cloud.

Maybe the cache file got corrupted when you had the power cut, or perhaps it was invalidated during the previous failed load due to the missing licence.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:It would also be nice to be able to solve the annoying problem of Windows 10 not seeing my MOTU Midi Express 128 interface after booting up until I have unplugged it from the USB port and plugged it in again. I have tried using different USB ports and different cables. It is a new PC (a Dell Precision 3640 mini tower workstation) abd has had this problem since I got it a couple of months ago; I have had the Midi Express 128 since I first started with HW in 2003 and used it with multiple computers; prior to the current one I had a Dell Precision 7740 mobile workstation, also running Windows 10, and I would sometimes have the same problem, but I thought it was due the PC not having enough USB ports, forcing me to use the ones on a powered docking station connected to the Thunderbolt port. My workaround is to use one of the ports on the front of the PC, so at least I can reach it easily to unplug it.

As I mentioned in response to a previous post of yours, MOTU's MIDI driver/firmware occasionally fails to find MOTU MIDI devices for me too (requiring the device to be unplugged and plugged back in to 'reboot' it):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19072&p=143339&hilit=microlite#p143339

I'd suggest raising it with MOTU's support.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support