It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

Using HW offline

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

theandric

Using HW offline

PostMon May 24, 2021 7:04 pm

OK, so I purchased a monthly subscription. I usually use the app at home while my home wireless network is active.

recently I went to a recording studio with the intention to play some organ parts through HW, but there is no wireless network there available. (it's in a rural area).

So when I tried to start HW, it would not open...

do I have to be online to use HW? How can this be resolved so I can use HW without the network?

engrssc

Re: Using HW offline

PostMon May 24, 2021 7:52 pm

First, purchase a Hauptwerk PERPETUAL LICENSE

https://www.hauptwerk.com/advanced-edition-perpetual-v6/

Then you would need to establish an iLok account and purchase an iLok dongle which would contain all your licenses. The iLok system permits you to use your HW and sample set licenses anywhere without the need for Internet connectivity and is not specific to a particular computer since all the license information is contained on the iLok dongle.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostMon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

I don't believe you have to buy a perpetual license to use an iLok dongle.

If you buy an iLok3 USB dongle, you can move your licenses from the cloud to the dongle and not require an internet connection (except when renewing the subscription or moving back to the cloud if you wish).

Please see the Hauptwerk 6.0.2 User Guide pages 11 - 12 and 19 for the basics, as well as iLok's online docs.

$46 USD at Best Buy, for example.

engrssc

PostMon May 24, 2021 8:22 pm

To clarify:

https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19760&p=148150&hilit=cloud#p148149

The Perpetual license simplifies the procedure albeit at a certain cost. OTOH I pointed to the Perpetual license because after less than 2 years (20 months) of paying for the Advanced Subscription fee, you will have paid the equivalent amount of a Perpetual (forever) license and likewise in less than 4 years of paying for the Lite subscription fee.

Case in point, recently I had the occasion to play a concert at a distant location (in this case a church). I took possibly a slight risk in that all I took with me was my iLok dongle and a portable NVMe 2TB drive "knowing" there was an adequate (prearranged) instrument and computer at the destination location. No issues and I traveled in a lightweight mode.... 8)

PS, I should mention I also took along a Launchpad for stop and sequencer control.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue May 25, 2021 3:48 am

Hello theandric,

To confirm mnailor's reply, to use any licence (whether of a subscription or perpetual type) without an Internet connection you need an iLok dongle. You can then move your licence onto the dongle within iLok License Manager by right-clicking on the licence (which will currently be in your iLok Cloud) to deactivate it, then right-clicking on it again to activate it, selecting the dongle when asked to where you would like it to be activated.

You then just need to make sure that the dongle remains attached to the computer all of the time that Hauptwerk is actually running.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue May 25, 2021 8:33 am

To complicate matters, if you subscribe, you also get all updates free of charge, whereas with a perpetual license you have to pay for all upgrades, which have been released about yearly for the past two years. So, it may work out to be the same either way if you count this.

engrssc

PostTue May 25, 2021 9:17 am

And with the subscription version, you need to rely on the Internet which varies in my at home case from questionable to very poor. :o

For all of my mission critical (professional) clients, they all use the Perpetual license with the dongle. As my neighbor says, 'Ya pays yore money and ya takes yore chance(s).' Called freedom of choice(s). :wink:

Rgds
Ed

mdyde

PostTue May 25, 2021 9:36 am

Hello Ed,

engrssc wrote:And with the subscription version, you need to rely on the Internet which varies in my case from questionable to bad.

Just to clarify: once a subscription licence has been activated to a dongle no Internet connection is needed, except when renewing ('refreshing') the subscription (e.g. once per year, or once per month, depending on whether the subscription is yearly or monthly).
Best regards, Martin.

theandric

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am

Thank you very much! I migrated my license to an ILok USB using the ILok licensing manager.

Now I have a new obstacle. I purchased the St Eucaire Metz organ but I get an error when trying to install it:

The organ definition file named 'Saint_Eucaire_Cavaille-Coll.Organ_Hauptwerk_hbx' couldn't be loaded to query its version, while attempting to install the component packages '/Applications/Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ/StEucaireMetz_01.CompPkg_Hauptwerk_rar'. If it's a licensed file then perhaps a license hasn't yet been installed for it.

Message code (for diagnostic purposes): 1223

mdyde

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 9:19 am

Hello theandric,

Thanks for the status update, and for the sample set purchase.

PACE's system indicates that you do have the licences for both Hauptwerk and the MDA St. Eucaire Metz sample sets successfully activated to your iLok dongle, so that all looks fine.

Please try exiting Hauptwerk, making sure that your iLok dongle is (still) attached to the computer, and that its internal LED is lit (which indicates that its driver is 'seeing' it), then re-launching Hauptwerk.

Does that allow the file (StEucaireMetz_01.CompPkg_Hauptwerk_rar) to install without error?
Best regards, Martin.

theandric

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Thank you . I was able to resolve my issue by obtaining my activation license number from the email and entering it as needed

mdyde

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks, theandric. Excellent. Hope you enjoy the sample set.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support