It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

2 (or more) Launchpads

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

lemmeling

2 (or more) Launchpads

PostSat May 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question.
I was thinking on buying me a second Launchpad.
In the manual of HW it says that HW supports natively multiple Launchpads...
My question, can I just plug the second one in and that's it (of course I need to assign it to a midi channel in de midi menu of HW) but does HW see the second device automatically as another device so that a conflict with the first one will not occur, or do I first need to do something on the Launchpad itself?

Thanks,

Laurens

mdyde

Re: 2 (or more) Launchpads

PostSat May 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Hello Laurens,

Assuming you're using Hauptwerk v6:

- Before connecting the new Launchpad, in Hauptwerk go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab. Make sure you've specified a meaningful 'User alias' for the row in which your existing Launchpad's column is ticked, so that you'll be able to tell it apart later. For example, you could name the existing Launchpad's row something like 'Left stop-jamb Launchpad', if that's what you'll be using it for. Do likewise on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab, then OK the screen.

- Exit Hauptwerk.

- Connect the new Launchpad. (Never connect/disconnect audio, MIDI or USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is actually running.)

- Re-launch Hauptwerk. It should tell you that a new MIDI device has been found, and it will then open the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab for you to confirm the settings. On that screen, leave the previous Launchpad ticked and named/aliased as before, and make sure that the new Launchpad (column) is also ticked, but in a different row from the previous one. Give its row a meaningful name too, e.g. 'Right stop-jamb Launchpad'. Do likewise on the 'MIDI OUT ports' tab, then OK the screen.

You should then be able to use them both normally.

In case the operating system ever swaps the two devices around (which sometimes happens), all you would then need to do is switch the two ticked columns for the respective rows (on both the 'MIDI IN ports' and 'MIDI OUT ports' tabs), and all of your auto-detected settings would be retained (since in Hauptwerk v6 MIDI settings are stored relative to the rows, not the MIDI device directly, thus allowing you to change the ticked columns around without needing to auto-detect everything again).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

lemmeling

PostSat May 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi Martin,

As always thank you for the clear instructions!
Yes I run the latest version of Hauptwerk.
I will try it out on Monday... the Launchpad should have been delivered today... but unfortunately delayed in delivery. :-(

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Laurens

RaymondList

PostSat May 29, 2021 5:50 pm

I also run two launchpads. My computer would switch them around occasionally but there is an easy fix for that. The Lauchpad ID can be set/changed by the user easily so just change one of the Launchpad's ID's. From the Launchpad user manual:
----------------
To enter the bootloader, hold down the session, user 1, user 2 and mixer buttons while connecting the USB cable. These buttons are highlighted in Figure 1. It will be apparent that the bootloader has loaded as the LEDs will light as shown in Figure 2. At this point the buttons can be released. In applications where more than one Launchpad is being used, it may be desirable to assign each Launchpad a different ID. This will ensure that each Launchpad can be uniquely recognised by the computer every time it is connected, so that MIDI instructions can be directed to the appropriate unit. The top two rows, illuminated yellow, are used to select a hardware ID from 1 to 16. The brightest LED indicates the device ID currently selected. When a new ID is chosen, text will scroll across the Launchpad displaying its number. The bottom right-hand green button is used to exit the bootloader and change over to the main firmware.
-----------------
You can find the user manual with the "Figures" on the Novation web site:
https://customer.focusrite.com/en/suppo ... ser-guides

Regards,
Ray
Ray

lemmeling

PostSat May 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Thanks Ray!
I will check this out!

Cheers,

Laurens

kwbmusic

PostSat May 29, 2021 7:40 pm

I have previously utilised three Launchpads with no problems.
However i have now reduced to only one as I realised with my poor organ skills I am not going to make too many changes whilst playing. I tend to preset registrations and use that method for any changes within a piece.
Keith

Return to Technical support