It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Hauptwerk looks / startup screen

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Jan Loosman

Hauptwerk looks / startup screen

PostSun May 30, 2021 5:39 pm

This is not a big deal for me because Hauptwerk in this form is already a briljant and very usable piece of software and i plan to use it for many years.
But If i chose a organ i always have to chose the organs tab, then go to the tab of favorite organs and then do some scrolling in my favorite organs tab to find the right organ.
I know you can put a small favorite organs window on top but to many small windows on top can shrink the console screen and you still have to scroll from left to right and select.
Wouldn’t it be nice if the Hauptwerk startup screen would be more like the windows desktop screen with pictograms or tiles resembling your organs. So you would see al your favorite organs at startup in little pictograms or just tiles on the screen and then startup the organ you wish with one mouse click. It would be more userfriendly i think.
Then again i can live with this version but it would be nice though.

Regards Jan
Last edited by Jan Loosman on Mon May 31, 2021 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

voet

Re: Hauptwerk looks / startup screen

PostSun May 30, 2021 7:53 pm

This sounds like a great idea to me, Jan. I have a touch screen and often select the wrong organ from the list by touching my selection with my finger. I have a mouse too, but that is not as quick. Small icons of the organs would give me a bigger target to hit.

Lougheed

PostSun May 30, 2021 8:16 pm

I dislike icons. Much prefer words.

kwbmusic

PostSun May 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Pity the designers. You can never please everybody!!
Keith

smfrank

PostSun May 30, 2021 8:47 pm

https://digitalvpo.com/Home/About

They do a nice intro screen.
Program is in its infancy compared to HW, but the selection part is nice
Steve
Steven Frank

Jan Loosman

PostMon May 31, 2021 1:17 am

kwbmusic wrote:Pity the designers. You can never please everybody!!
Keith

Hello Keith.

Consider this as positive feedback from a end user , helping to improve this great piece off software.

Jan

Jan Loosman

PostMon May 31, 2021 1:25 am

smfrank wrote:https://digitalvpo.com/Home/About

They do a nice intro screen.
Program is in its infancy compared to HW, but the selection part is nice
Steve

This startup screen is userfriendly but a bit to busy for my taste.

I think i would prefer simple tiles with all your favorite organs on it which you can drag and drop on the start up screen.
You can put your favorite organ on top or barock organs on the left and romantic organs at the right side for example.

Jan

marcus.reeves

PostMon May 31, 2021 1:34 am

smfrank wrote:https://digitalvpo.com/Home/About

I would steer well clear of this software. The developer is downright arrogant and rude, who rants online (see his Facebook page) about anyone who dares to criticise his program. I understand he has an interesting past as well, I wouldn’t trust him one iota!

I agree though, some kind of graphical representation would be a nice addition. One thing which troubles me is when I restore a cloud session when loading HW. Is there a way to activate a cloud session from within HW without being subsequently prompted for an activation code or iLok ID? It seems to be a lot of screens to click through!
Best wishes,
Marcus

mdyde

PostMon May 31, 2021 5:09 am

Jan Loosman wrote:This is not a big deal for me because Hauptwerk in this form is already a briljant and very usable piece of software and i plan to use it for many years.
But If i chose a organ i always have to chose the organs tab, then go to the tab of favorite organs and then do some scrolling in my favorite organs tab to find the right organ.
I know you can put a small favorite organs window on top but to many small windows on top can shrink the console screen and you still have to scroll from left to right and select.
Wouldn’t it be nice if the Hauptwerk startup screen would be more like the windows desktop screen with pictograms or tiles resembling your organs. So you would see al your favorite organs at startup in little pictograms or just tiles on the screen and then startup the organ you wish with one mouse click. It would be more userfriendly i think.
Then again i can live with this version but it would be nice though.
I think i would prefer simple tiles with all your favorite organs on it which you can drag and drop on the start up screen.
You can put your favorite organ on top or barock organs on the left and romantic organs at the right side for example.

Hello Jan,

[Topic moved here.]

Thanks for the thoughts. We do have an enhancement request logged to cover making Hauptwerk's organ selection window more customisable, optionally including icons, sortable and editable columns for producer, organ builder, etc. I'll add your notes to it.

I'm personally a 'text and keyboard short-cut' type of person (and physical hardware buttons/controls) myself -- I'm not personally a fan of icons, drag-and-drop or touch-screens as computer interfaces, etc., but I do appreciate that lots of people like those kinds of things (not least given the popularity of smart-phones and tablets), and that it would be nice for Hauptwerk to cater more for those types of people in parts of its user interface beyond the graphical virtual console. Plus, of course, touch-screens are very popular anyway amongst Hauptwerk users for controlling organs' virtual consoles and for programming registrations to MIDI pistons.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 am

marcus.reeves wrote:One thing which troubles me is when I restore a cloud session when loading HW. Is there a way to activate a cloud session from within HW without being subsequently prompted for an activation code or iLok ID? It seems to be a lot of screens to click through!

I've split that off to a new topic here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19799
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support