It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

Custom MIDI configuration - test message not sent

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

GrahamH

Custom MIDI configuration - test message not sent

PostMon May 31, 2021 4:09 am

Hello Martin

Using Hauptwerk v5 (but psyching myself up to upgrade :evil: )

Organ settings/Advanced MIDI applications/Custom MIDI configuration messages to send.../Test: send message now :-

Although HW consistently sends the 4 byte sysex message as required when audio/MIDI starts, the "Test: send message now" button only seems to work occasionally but most of the time nothing happens when I press it.
This is only a minor inconvenience as I can use MidiOx to send test messages, but I'm wondering if it's a "bug" and has it been fixed in HW v6?

Regards
Graham

mdyde

Re: Custom MIDI configuration - test message not sent

PostMon May 31, 2021 7:09 am

Hello Graham,

I've just been testing it (in Hauptwerk v6, but v5 should be the same) and it seems to be working properly for me.

In my test I turned on the 'Diagnostics: log all MIDI messages ...' option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ..' screen tab, loaded an organ, configured a four-byte custom MIDI sys-ex message on the settings screen, then tried clicking the 'Test: send message now' button repeatedly. The relevant red 'Console MIDI OUT' virtual MIDI activity LED flashed correctly on Hauptwerk's 'Audio, MIDI and Performance' large control panel) as I pressed the Test button each time. Also, after each press, I used 'Help | View activity log', which showed that my test message had been send correctly each time. For example, after pressing the button three times in a row, the log showed that the message had been sent three times:

2021-05-31-12-49-48: INF:2564 Diag: OUT: MIDI system exclusive/raw: port: Console MIDI OUT 01 [=> FW AP MIDI], number of bytes: 4, bytes (as decimal): 240 002 046 247, bytes (as hex): F0 02 2E F7.

2021-05-31-12-49-51: INF:2564 Diag: OUT: MIDI system exclusive/raw: port: Console MIDI OUT 01 [=> FW AP MIDI], number of bytes: 4, bytes (as decimal): 240 002 046 247, bytes (as hex): F0 02 2E F7.

2021-05-31-12-49-55: INF:2564 Diag: OUT: MIDI system exclusive/raw: port: Console MIDI OUT 01 [=> FW AP MIDI], number of bytes: 4, bytes (as decimal): 240 002 046 247, bytes (as hex): F0 02 2E F7.

I also then tried reloading the organ and trying the button again, and it still appeared to be working properly each time (virtual Console MIDI OUT LED flashed, activity log showed message had been sent).

If you try that test, do you get the same results?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostMon May 31, 2021 9:06 am

Hello Martin

Thank you for the speedy response.
I have carried out the test you suggest and -Yes - I get the same result as you - everything seems to be working OK!

Unfortunately I can't easily repeat the circumstances which gave rise to my query
(a) because it would mean "breaking" my own set-up that is working fine, and I'm reluctant to do that, and
(b) it was on a friend's console 100 miles away (and running HW6 actually) that I encountered the "problem" yesterday, and having got a satisfactory result using MidiOx, I am now back home!

If I encounter the "problem" again when I next need to do this particular procedure I will let you know.

Regards
Graham

mdyde

PostMon May 31, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks, Graham.

Hope that whatever caused it has resolved itself now.
Best regards, Martin.

GrahamH

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 8:43 am

Hello again, Martin

I have to apologise for wrongly accusing Hauptwerk yesterday :oops:

I can confirm that HW does indeed send the sysex message every time I press the "Test: send message now" button, as indicated by the MIDI activity LED (which I hadn't been watching previously) - but there are some circumstance under which the Arduino doesn't recognise or respond to the Test message and at that point the only remedy is to re-launch HW and reload the organ, whereupon the Arduino responds as expected to the sysex message sent when Hauptwerk's audio/MIDI starts.

Regards
Graham

mdyde

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 8:51 am

Thanks, Graham. Excellent. No problem. Glad to hear you've managed to track it down.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support