It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

Auto-detect problem...

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JmG

Auto-detect problem...

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Hello,
I have some problems with autodection. Hauptwerk is running on a Win10 PC. In the past autodection works well. Now it can’t detect expression pedal or volume general but when i manually assign all parameters : midi channel and ControlCommand the system works. For stops and keyboard it works but i can see the focus going from the button « Done » to the button « Cancel » like some flickering…
Without running Hauptwerk and just using Midi-Ox i don’t see any strange midi input message,
all potentiometers sending correct message and value. When playing there is no problem at all !
The problem perhaps came after trying to run Hauptwerk at real-time priority (Generals Preferences/Advanced Preferences) but i’m not sure.
Has anyone seen this strange behavior ?

mdyde

Re: Auto-detect problem...

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Hello Jim,

The problem will indeed be that Hauptwerk is receiving spurious conflicting MIDI messages from somewhere whilst you're trying to auto-detect the intended MIDI expression pedal; the 'Done' button on the auto-detection screen will become enabled once Hauptwerk has heard valid consistent messages, but become disabled again if it then hears conflicting MIDI messages. The most likely culprit would be another MIDI expression pedal (or knob/slider) with dirty contacts (or which is also moving slightly due to vibration as you move the intended pedal). You would normally expect to see it in MIDI-OX too.

Please try the following:

- Load St. Anne's.

- Temporarily turn on the 'Diagnostics: log all MIDI messages ...' option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ..' screen tab. OK the screen.

- Without touching any other MIDI or virtual controls, try auto-detecting the expression pedal, being careful to move just the intended MIDI expression pedal (and no others) fully across its range a couple of times.

- If you still get the same problem (Done button enables then disables again) then cancel the auto-detection screen.

- Without touching anything else, use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file ...', and save it somewhere in case you need us to look at it.

- Now go to 'Help | View activity log'. It will show you all of the MIDI messages that were received during auto-detection, and you will probably be able to spot the spurious MIDI messages there and then work out what MIDI device was the culprit. However, if you need our help with that then send the diagnostic file to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com .
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JmG

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 3:02 am

Hello mdyde,
Thanks ! You are right ! The problem is solved ! It was because I have connected a new Arduino for receiving LCD messages from Hauptwerk without attention to the program running on it. As I absolutely no longer thought about this interface, I had not spied on it with midi-ox, (I am surely too lazy!).
It is true that a fresh look on your part can unblock the problem and I thank you very much for your expertise. Truly Hauptwerk and its support deserves its reputation! Every day I learn something reading this forum.
Best regards.
JmG.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks very much, Jim. You're very welcome. Glad to hear it's resolved now.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support