It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Problem installing HW upgrade

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

dhm

Problem installing HW upgrade

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 6:09 am

I have tried three times to install HW 6.0.2 on a Windows 10 PC currently running HW 4.2.1.
The extraction and installation appears to proceed correctly as far as "We hope you enjoy Hauptwerk".
But then there are no HW icons on the desktop, and HW doesn't appear on the list of apps in the start menu, so I can't see any way of launching it. However HW 6.0.2.18 does appear under Control Panel > Programs & features.
I have previously done this on dozens of PCs for myself and customers, but never seen this happen before now.
Suggestions, please?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

Re: Problem installing HW upgrade

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 6:45 am

Hello Douglas,

[Topic moved here.]

Please first check that:

- You have all available Windows updates applied.
- The Windows account you're using to install Hauptwerk has Windows administrator privileges (as the default Windows account does) and that the account is the same one that was previously used to install and use Hauptwerk v4 (in case some file permissions are preventing something being updated).
- The Hauptwerk v6.0.2 installer file has the correct MD5 checksum ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19521#p146576 ), in case the file is simply corrupted.
- There is a reasonable amount of free space on the PC's drives (especially the Windows system drive, and any other drives that you're installing Hauptwerk to).

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dhm

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am

Thanks, Martin.
To answer your questions:
I haven't yet checked for Windows updates.
The PC belongs to a customer, and - until today - probably hasn't been online since I built it 5 years ago, so I'm assuming this is the default account unless the customerchanged it (unlikely),
I installed HW 6.0.2 from a copy on a portable hard drive which I have successfully used several times recently.
The 1TB hard drive on the PC has more than enough free space - there is nothing on it except HW, a few sample-sets and various drivers (audio interface, touchscreens, iLok, etc).

I'll check for Windows updates and try again later.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mdyde

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 7:06 am

Thanks, Douglas.

It's still worth checking the file's MD5 checksum too, just in case your portable drive has become corrupted.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support