It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

Changing stops, post performace

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Antoni Scott

Changing stops, post performace

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 am

I knew for years that you could record your own perfomances via Hauptwerk. I used three of my presets to start, stop and play my recordings. It works very well. When finished, it records two samples, a WAV sample and a MIDI sequence sample ( not sure what I can do with that). When I was reviewing my perfomance on the organ by pressing the PLAY button, I noticed that I could add or subtract stops while my recording was playing back. I was able to come up with a much better registration than my initial registration which lacked variety due to my lack of tehnical skills. My question is as follows:
Can I create another recording of myself using the new registration changes? It would be really nice to be able to do that because after-the-fact you always notice that something would sound better than when you are actuaally playing the piece.
Another question: What is the separate MIDI sequence sample for ?
I took my WAV sample and converted it to an MP3 sample but I don't know what to do with the MIDI sequence sample.
Antoni

mdyde

Re: Changing stops, post performace

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 10:06 am

Hello Antoni,

[Topic moved here.]

MIDI files are different to audio files in that they contain events/actions themselves (turning a particular note on or off, or turning a stop on or off, for example), rather than the audio that doing those actions would result in:

Hauptwerk's player plays MIDI files (not audio), which is why you see the keys and stops move when you press the 'play' button (and why you can affect what's playing by altering the registration).

To answer your first question, yes -- you can record a new audio and/or MIDI file (with altered registration) whilst playing an existing MIDI file. See the 'Recording menu | Overdubbing MIDI recording' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide for how to do that (which was on page 136 of the Hauptwerk v4.2.1 version of the guide, given that you're currently using that version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Antoni Scott

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 10:13 am

Martin Dyde said:
To answer your first question, yes -- you can record a new audio and/or MIDI file (with altered registration) whilst playing an existing MIDI file. See the 'Recording menu | Overdubbing MIDI recording' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide for how to do that (which was on page 136 of the Hauptwerk v4.2.1 version of the guide, given that you're currently using that version).

Hello Martin:
Is there anything that Hauptwerk can't do ? This is amazing. Thank's so much. I'll experiment and come up with a decent registration of my previous recording. This is really excitig stuff. Francois got my Diagnostic File and said he will get back to me. I'm hoping that my computer will accept Version VI.
Antoni

mdyde

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks, Antoni. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support