It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 am

How to move sample sets to external HD

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

adelaideviewer

How to move sample sets to external HD

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:31 am

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered.
Can I move my ever increasing sample libraries off my current MacBook Pro whose drive is getting nearly fully and onto an attached portable hard drive?

I presumed I had to use the uninstall organ menu item.
Having done that, when I reinstall a sample set it still defaults to my computer's hard drive as the installation location and gives me no option to choose the portable drive.

Is what am I trying to do possible?

Does the Hauptwerk program also have to be on the portable drive to achieve this.

Getting myself a bit confused.

Many thanks
Stuart

mdyde

Re: How to move sample sets to external HD

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am

Hello Stuart,

(After using 'File | Backup ...' in Hauptwerk for good measure and exiting Hauptwerk), you'd need to re-run the installer and use the 'Custom' option to move your installation. The installation paths in the installer will default to where the corresponding items are currently installed, so only change the paths for the items that you specifically want to move (e.g. the 'sample sets and components' location). Note that moving sample sets occasionally results in an incomplete move (e.g. due to file/folder permission problems on some sample set files, or device time-outs). If that happens with any sample sets then simply re-install the relevant sample sets via 'File | Install ...' in Hauptwerk afterwards.

See also the 'Changing installation locations' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (page 30 in the current v6.0.2 version). Here's another thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15690
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

adelaideviewer

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks so much Martin.
Good to get the explanation from the expert. I’ll follow your advice.

Best wishes
Stuart

mdyde

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks, Stuart. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

voet

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 12:21 pm

It seems that more and more Hauptwerk users are asking about moving sample sets to an external HD

For most people this is not an issue at the beginning of their Hauptwerk journey. However. as we acquire more sample sets, there comes a point when many need to make this change. It seems to me that an easier way to effectuate this change would be an excellent enhancement to a future edition of Hauptwerk.

mdyde

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Hello voet,

Thanks for the suggestion. We do have enhancement requests logged related to that (and optimising sample sets and caches across drives, etc.).
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 1:29 pm

My solution (with a PC) has been to clone the existing (full - source) drive to a new, larger (destination) drive. Esp easy to do with a SSD. With a brand new drive using Windows 10, you will need to create a partition on this new (destination) drive. Otherwise, Windows will not "see" it.

When cloning from a smaller drive (example a 1TB drive) to a larger (example 2TB drive), after the cloning is complete, the 2TB drive will show 2 partitions. One being the original 1TB image, and the other partition as being unallocated. In a Partition Assistant software or in Windows Disk Management, (right click Start button) you can Merge the two partitions now making a single larger partition with the (old) original 1TB drive left totally in tact.

https://www.google.com/search?q=merge+partitions+with+disk+management&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS840US840&oq=merge+partitikns+using+disk&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0i13j0i22i30.33796j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If everything was done correctly, the new, larger 2TB drive should be bootable with extra space for your passion of buying new sample sets. :)

BTW, I did find this article for cloning a Mac drive :

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Cloning-Your-Data-to-a-New-Hard-Drive

Can anemone with s Mac verify this procedure?

Rgds,
Ed

Freereed

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 3:37 am

Thanks Ed, This is very helpful and I will definitely try this as it seems that an indiviual sample set or any smaller group of sample sets can't be moved individually because the location is a single specific path. As has been suggested, perhaps in the future it might be possible to point to specific locations on a sample set basis.

For now, I will probably go and buy a 2Tb unit and do the Windows 10 clone. (Backing up to two locations first :D )

Return to Technical support