It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 am

Using IR's from outside sources

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Using IR's from outside sources

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:34 am

Hello all,

As most of us probably know, there is a plethora of free impulse responses available to download from various sources. I've done this in the past and have used them when I was tinkering with Reaper, but that's many moons ago, and I don't use Reaper. :) I recently downloaded some IR's to try out with HW 5 as besides installing sample sets, we also have the option of installing temperaments and IR's. After I downloaded the IR's I transferred them to a thumb drive, but Hauptwerk does not see them on the thumb drive so I have not been able to install or use them.

Any ideas?

Marc

mdyde

Re: Using IR's from outside sources

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 am

Hello Marc,

[Topic moved here.]

Impulse responses do specifically need to be in Hauptwerk format -- you can't currently import non-Hauptwerk/generic impulse responses, I'm afraid (although we do hope to add that functionality in the future).

Aside from the library that's installed within Hauptwerk, other impulse responses in Hauptwerk format are available from Sonus Paradisi, Inspired Acoustics, and maybe some other Hauptwerk sample set producers.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it had something to do with the IR's needing to be formatted for Hauptwerk and is why Hauptwerk was not seeing them.

No problem, the library installed within Hauptwerk is quite good as it is and has plenty of options, I was just curious to see if I could install a few others and see how they worked.

Thanks,

Marc

mdyde

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks, Marc.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

giwro

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi Marc,

We have some we’ll release at some point - I’ll shoot you a message when they’re ready!
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:36 pm

giwro wrote:Hi Marc,

We have some we’ll release at some point - I’ll shoot you a message when they’re ready!

10-4, sounds good!

Marc

engrssc

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Just curious, Marc. What characteristics are you looking for?

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:29 pm

I bought a range of IRs from SP, and found it useful to apply different mic positions to different speakers in my setup when adding reverb. That isn't available in the HW IR library.

engrssc

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm

mnailor wrote:I bought a range of IRs from SP, and found it useful to apply different mic positions to different speakers.

Sounds like a good idea.

Rgds,
Ed

StephenM

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:41 pm

mnailor wrote: That isn't available in the HW IR library.

Marc,
What do you mean by this?

Stephen

mnailor

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Stephen,

For example, the Freiberg IR in HW's default library is called Church02. It's one mic pair in one position, ORTF at 5 meters. Nothing wrong with using that, especially if you mix down everything into one stereo reverb!

If you license the Freiberg IR set from SP, you get 24 different IRs for the building, with several microphone types, placed at 5, 7, and 13 meters distance, at two different widths between mic pairs. [Edit: No, that was two distances between source stereo pairs.]

I use the 13m IRs for signals coming out of my rear speakers, and a mix of 5 and 7m for my front speakers. Only on dry or semidry samplesets, of course.

I have reverb set up on each stereo output (primary bus) with wet and dry mixed in the same stereo output, making a "wet front" perspective.

Then each of those also routes the original (dry) signal to one of several reverb buses (intermediate buses) that output wet only to a pair of speakers positioned opposite in the room (front to rear or rear to front), to make a "surround" perspective. It doesn't play any audible amount of the original (dry) sound because I route it at level -24 dB to suppress it, compensating by raising the wet level.

For organs that are already wet enough, I slide the wetness scalar to 0 and only hear the samples as shipped. This costs no CPU overhead.

Mark
Last edited by mnailor on Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

StephenM

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 am

Mark,
Thx for the info.
I have read through SP PDF without full understanding.

All those Freiberg files! and 37 for Caen!!

What I still don't understand is why I would need so many IR files for (the demo of) Caen which comes with quite good reverb straight from SP.

Perhaps you might be able to go through how you set up (eg.) Freiberg reverb.

Do you load all 6 channels to separate speaker pairs?
Do you load with all multiple loops etc?
How and where do you insert the IR settings?

Thx
Stephen

mnailor

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am

Ah, no, I don't add IR to Freiberg or Caen or any sampleset that has decent reverb built in. I only add IR on a few samplesets.

I add Freiberg's IR to samplesets that are dry or have low or unsatisfactory (to me) reverb like Georgian 55, South Suffolk composite, Stade, Oakland A-S, Portland Rosales, and Mt. Carmen Skinner wet (with its releases truncated because it doesn't have short releases and rings like a bell chorus).

I chose Freiberg's IR because it adds about the right duration (~4 seconds) for these mostly non-cathedral organs to be a little more enjoyable.

"How and where do you insert the IR settings?"

I apologize, but I can't type a sufficient answer. Martin wrote two chapters on setting up IR in the user guide. I read those multiple times and then designed my reverb scheme, then revised until it sounded good. The basics: I added wetness to each primary bus, and also sent each primary bus to an intermediate bus that produces a wet-only signal output to a pair of speakers at the other end of the room.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 10:09 am

engrssc wrote:Just curious, Marc. What characteristics are you looking for?

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Nothing in particular, and as I mentioned Hauptwerk comes with a pretty good variety as is that should cover the bases for most. I'm not a big fan of using IR's and use them very minimally, only on the Paramount 320 so far. I was more just goofing around, curious to see if the IR's I downloaded could be used in Hauptwerk. Since we're not seeing users here posting about various IR's they've downloaded and are using, I kind of figured what I downloaded wouldn't work, but thought I'd ask.

Marc

StephenM

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:32 pm

mnailor wrote:Ah, no, I don't add IR to Freiberg or Caen

Mark,

This answer my question.
I will look up Martin's pages,

Thx
Stephen
Next

Return to Technical support