It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:50 am

Possible intermittent iLok

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

engrssc

Possible intermittent iLok

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 11:40 am

Distant client has a situation using HW V6. Started on Sunday. They got a message the iLok wasn't available. We tried suggesting all the usual stuff. Reboot the computer, remove and reinstall the iLok dongle, etc.

Thought maybe HW was starting sooner than the iLok driver, Delayed HW startup. Works sometimes (intermittently).

Seems the problem started after their local tech updated Windows a week ago. Also updated the iLok software. What does work consistently is when they manually start the iLok Manager ahead of starting HW. I have repeatedly suggested they leave the HW computer running 24/7. They won't do that. Seems they had some appliance left on a while ago which started a small fire.

This installation has been running for over a year without problems. Presently running Win10 - 21H1 - (KB5004476), latest version of HW V6, and iLok version 5.3.3.3569. Any ideas?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Possible intermittent iLok

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Hello Ed,

Do you mean that they get the problem specifically when Windows launches Hauptwerk automatically as the PC boots (even though you've added a delay to give the iLok system some time to initialise before launching Hauptwerk)?

If they boot the computer (without Windows trying to launch Hauptwerk, and without manually launching iLok License Manager), log in to Windows, then wait at least 60 seconds (so as to give Windows ample time to have finished launching the iLok system, drivers, etc.), then manually launch Hauptwerk, does it always work?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

engrssc

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 3:35 pm

mdyde wrote:Hello Ed,

Do you mean that they get the problem specifically when Windows launches Hauptwerk automatically as the PC boots (even though you've added a delay to give the iLok system some time to initialise before launching Hauptwerk)?

If they boot the computer (without Windows trying to launch Hauptwerk, and without manually launching iLok License Manager), log in to Windows, then wait at least 60 seconds (so as to give Windows ample time to have finished launching the iLok system, drivers, etc.), then manually launch Hauptwerk, does it always work?

Yes to both questions. (And they have already tried that last suggestion). The only occasion that doesn't give the error (not seeing the iLok dongle) is when iLok is manually started ahead of HW being started.

This issue wasn't there 2 weeks ago. As far as I can tell, without being on-site is the only changes made were the updates that were applied..I haven't had a chance to talk to their tech, but from past experience, found him to be quite competent.

We originally set the system to boot when turning the (momentary) organ power switch on, and turning it off with a momentary off switch which accesses the HW computer turn off "button". These momentary switches apply a fixed one second pulse in each case.

My next suggestion would be to reinstall/restore the program version (prior to the updates) if it was saved.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Talked again to the organist who discovered the problem originally. Since she is not tech oriented, I hesitate to have her do more than has been done. Altho she did very well with the step by step instructions I gave her.

They have agreed to leave the organ (console) turned on for now as everything is working. Very easy to turn off the speaker amps if that becomes an issue. (They are on a single breaker.) The organist believes the tech is away on vacation. No way to know if he made a backup.

Rgds,
Ed.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 4:14 am

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the updates, and glad to hear they have a workable solution for now.

engrssc wrote:
mdyde wrote:Hello Ed,

Yes to both questions. (And they have already tried that last suggestion). The only occasion that doesn't give the error (not seeing the iLok dongle) is when iLok is manually started ahead of HW being started.

I'm not quite clear from your reply there whether you mean that when trying:

mdyde wrote:If they boot the computer (without Windows trying to launch Hauptwerk, and without manually launching iLok License Manager), log in to Windows, then wait at least 60 seconds (so as to give Windows ample time to have finished launching the iLok system, drivers, etc.), then manually launch Hauptwerk, does it always work?

a) It does always work (i.e. that they never get the error in that situation), or that:
b) It doesn't always work (i.e. that they get an error at least sometimes in that situation).

Anyway, no need to let us know at the moment (given that they have it working for now), but if you need help with it in the future then please us know.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:43 am

Made the trip to do an on-site. Believe the updates that were made (possibly improperly) caused the issue. I cloned the original drive to a separate drive. Then proceeded to do a update of the iLok Manager on the cloned drive. Problem remained. Finally did a fresh install of Hauptwerk V6.Then re-updated Windows 10. Now the iLok manager was recognized and everything worked as previous. (noticed during the HW re-installation the - License Support Installer)

I then cloned the new, operating drive (SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe) to their original NVMe drive. This gave them two working (easy to change) drives for their system. My travel plus the cost of the new Samsung drive were approved.

I also showed the organist, Sue how to change drives and left them with a small (needed) screwdriver. Sue then demonstrated that she was able to change drives without any assist from me. So the formerly non tech organist happily :) did it all by herself. 8) I did suggest calling me in the future. before making any changes. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:08 am

Thanks very much, Ed. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 am

Noticed some possible "clutter" had accumulated on this client's computer which I was able to remove. The turn on to ready to play time improved from 45 seconds now to 15 seconds as in wow. :lol: Wonder how many systems over time slow down due to junk files etc.? As in a computer "aging" process? There are no extra programs on this computer. Whenever I have done any testing, etc., I always use the portable version of testing programs which is removed when I'm finished. These tools are loaded on a fast USB 3 thumb drive, easy to keep them updated. Likewise, this is a fast, custom built computer with no bloatware.

No matter how well built a computer is, there will always be a better one. There used to be a saying about Chicago's weather, if you don't like it, wait a minute, it will change. For me these constant tech changes (so called improvements really challenges) keep me interested and coming back for more. My issue is there is so much "new" to keep up with at a blinding rate. My wife used to remind me that I was never satisfied. Probably true, however - - - :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support