It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:59 am

How can I find out whether my sampleset supports velocity?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

LukasT

How can I find out whether my sampleset supports velocity?

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 pm

Hi!

In the Hauptwerk manual I read that some sample sets provide support for velocity sensitivity. The sample set may provide several attack samples, to simulate different pipe speech depending on velocity.

1. Which velocity is chosen when your keyboard does not support velocity? maximum, minimum or something in-between?

2. How can I find out whether a certain sample set supports this feature? I use Friesach and Salisbury.

Thank you!
Last edited by LukasT on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

mnailor

Re: How can I find out whether my sampleset supports velocit

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 pm

I can't answer the first question, but it might be on the keyboard's adjust MIDI settings window. Okay, you edited away the first question while I was typing. Yay.

I look in Organ / Load organ, adjusting... to see if the sampleset's ranks have Multiple attack/sustain samples greyed out. If multiple attack samples aren't an option on rank loading, it probably isn't velocity-sensitive.

I haven't heard of any other HW application of keyboard velocity, but maybe someone else has.

Edit: See Martin's post below. I was completely wrong here.
Last edited by mnailor on Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LukasT

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:13 am

I can't answer the first question, but it might be on the keyboard's adjust MIDI settings window. Okay, you edited away the first question while I was typing. Yay.
Sorry for that. I re-inserted that question into my post so your post makes sense :)

I can adjust the velocity sensitivity and velocity mid-point in that window. My guess is that I have to set sensitivity to 0% and mid-point to 100%. Then, I will always get 100% no matter what velocity signal is sent. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

engrssc

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 2:40 am

I have a touch sensitive keyboard for the choir manual to be able to use the Ravenscroft virtual piano on the choir manual. Using an encoder from Midi Boutique connects to Hauptwerk required no special adjustments and works properly for the piano.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 am

Hello Lukas,

To add to others' replies:

Although Hauptwerk does technically have support it, very few sample sets (maybe none?) actually have multiple attack samples for different velocities. Certainly none of MDA's sample sets do. I believe I recall that a few sample sets have multiple attack sample sets for other reasons (e.g. with them picked randomly whenever the pipe sounds, for variety).

Some sample sets (including many or maybe all of Sonus Paradisi's) do use note-on velocity to shape the brightness of the initial portion of the note attack (via Hauptwerk's 'tracker modelling' capability).

If your MIDI keyboards aren't velocity-sensitive, then for each sample set that might be velocity-sensitive (or simply do it for every sample set if in doubt -- it won't hurt) you should set the 'MIDI key velocity sensitivity adjustment' setting to 0% on Hauptwerk's 'Organ settings | Organ preferences | Audio engine' screen. That will ensure that maximum velocity (127) is used for all note-on events, avoiding any potentially sluggishness of pipe speech in case the sample set is velocity-sensitive and your MIDI keyboards transmit velocities less than 127.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

LukasT

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 am

All clear - thank you!

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 am

Thanks, Lukas. Your're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 am

P.S. If your MIDI keyboards always transmit notes at velocity 127 anyway (e.g. you could check using MIDI-OX on Windows, or Snoize MIDI Montior on macOS) then there would be no nothing extra to be gained by setting Hauptwerk's velocity sensitivity to 0.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support