It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

Playing back MIDI on my HW system….

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

B777Captain

Playing back MIDI on my HW system….

PostWed Jul 14, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi Gang…

I thought I asked this in the past few months but can’t find the thread….

After upgrading to HW6, When I would record a MIDI and play it back, it ONLY sounded thru the rear speakers, of which there are only 2. I have 10 total including the 2 subwoofers.

I thought I read here from someone on my post I thought I wrote earlier…. That I needed to play it back thru midi to have it utilize all speakers and sound like it does when actually playing the piece. I’m uploading it using MIDI to play, but an odd program comes up to start playing it (Groove Music????) and it only plays thru the two smallish rear speakers.

Can someone explain what I’m missing in this….

Thanks (again if you already answered! :-)

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mdyde

Re: Playing back MIDI on my HW system….

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 3:40 am

Hello Pat,

[Topic moved here.]

B777Captain wrote:I thought I read here from someone on my post I thought I wrote earlier…. That I needed to play it back thru midi to have it utilize all speakers and sound like it does when actually playing the piece. I’m uploading it using MIDI to play, but an odd program comes up to start playing it (Groove Music????) and it only plays thru the two smallish rear speakers.

MIDI files are different to audio files in that MIDI files record the *actions* that occur (which notes are played on which manuals, etc.), not the audio that those actions produce. MIDI files need to be played by an appropriate application (e.g. Hauptwerk, in the case of MIDI files recorded from Hauptwerk) in order that you actually hear the intended sound from them.

To open MIDI files that you've recorded from Hauptwerk, on Hauptwerk's MIDI Recorder/Player large control panel, click the MIDI file: Load ...' button, browse to and select your MIDI file, then click the 'MIDI:' play button (the one with the green arrow on it).

B777Captain wrote:After upgrading to HW6, When I would record a MIDI and play it back, it ONLY sounded thru the rear speakers, of which there are only 2. I have 10 total including the 2 subwoofers.

Based on the remainder of your post, in that quoted excerpt I think you meant to write 'when I record an audio file ...' (as opposed to a MIDI file). Assuming so:

If you want to record a single stereo audio file which is a mix-down of all of your speakers (as opposed to separate audio files from each of your speakers/pairs separately) then you need to do that via a 'mix bus'. The same applies in v5/v6 as in v4 and earlier, except that in v5+ it's termed a 'mix bus', whereas in v2-v4 it was termed an 'aux mix-down output'.

With default audio settings (and also by default for settings migrated from v4 and earlier), Hauptwerk will mix all of the audio from all of your speakers down to 'master mix bus 1'. Hence to enable recording from that mix bus, all you probably need to do is to go to the 'General settings | Audio mixer' screen, make sure that the 'Mxr prst 1: * Mstr mix bus 1 'Stereo mix 1 (main/recording)' entry is highlighted in the left-hand list, and then make sure that the 'Audio recorder: records audio' option is ticked for it in the right-hand pane. (It is ticked by default, but perhaps you unticked it at some point.)

Then whenever you record audio, Hauptwerk will (also) record an audio file from whatever audio is sent to that bus (which by default is a mix-down of all other buses/speakers). Note that if you have that 'Records audio' option ticked for several buses (speakers) then whenever you record Hauptwerk will record several audio files simultaneously (one from each ticked bus), so you need to make sure that you open the intended one of those audio files (the one with 'mix bus 1' in its filename) in your audio player application.

With that option ticked, try make a test recording using St. Anne's, then open the relevant recorded audio file (the one with 'mix bus 1' in its filename) in your audio player application, and if you don't hear all of the ranks in it, then please use 'Help | Create a diagnostic file' and send the resulting file to Francois at support [at] hauptwerk.com . That will allow Francois to see your current audio settings and advise you what you need to change.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

B777Captain

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks Martin!

It appeared my checkmark for “Midi” was not checked and thus not playing back thru all channels. Checked it and voila!

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mdyde

PostFri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Thanks, Pat. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support