It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Creating rar files in Big Sur

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ldeutsch

Creating rar files in Big Sur

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 5:45 pm

I have been using "SimplyRAR" for a very long time to create rar archived files for the Hauptwerk community. Recently, I had to upgrade the Mac on which I develop Hauptwerk sample sets to Big Sur. SimplyRAR no longer works because it is a 32-bit application.

I am looking for a more modern application for creating rar files - I am open to recommendations.

Les

larason2

Re: Creating rar files in Big Sur

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 6:59 pm

I actually just use the basic app and terminal to do everything. I can’t post the details now, but I’ll look into them and post back later tonight.

ldeutsch

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks. The terminal is fine - I am a Unix person too and I appreciate the terminal.

There is no "rar" command in my terminal environment, so hopefully you will also point me to a download...

Les

larason2

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:25 pm

Ok, I found my notes.

Head to this website, and download the "rar" package for Mac OS (6.02 is the most recent version, I believe. However, I have been using 5.91). Note, this isn't WinRar for mac OS X, it is the basic "rar"

https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Download it, and extract the file into a convenient location. Then, these are the instructions I use:

Extracting a RAR file:
1. Open Terminal App
2. Type “cd(space)“, then drag into the terminal window the folder you would like to be extracted to.
3. Drag in the “UNRAR” executable file, then type “x(space)”, then drag in the file you would like to unrar.
4. Files will appear in the folder you put during the “cd” step.

Creating a RAR file
1. Open Terminal app
2. Type “cd(space)”, then drag in the folder that contains the files you want to rar, hit “enter”
3. Drag in the “RAR” executable file to the terminal window, then type “a(space)-r”, then another (space), then type the name you want the archive to have when it is created. Then hit “enter”
4. The file will appear in the folder you put in during the “cd” step.

Basically, the folder contains the two executables to Rar or Unrar an archive, and to run those, you can just drag the executable into the terminal window. "cd" moves terminal to the folder you want to work in. The x command is the command to unrar something. The A is to create a rar file, and the -r makes sure to include all subfolders and subfiles. Easy peasy!

This is a trial application, but it is not restricted as far as I know for these two uses. However, to continue to use it you should buy a license ($29). I have bought a license, as it helps them to keep supporting it!

ldeutsch

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 11:03 pm

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow morning - but it looks like it will work.

Les

chr.schmitz

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 5:45 am

Two 64-bit macOS programs with a graphical UI that support RAR archives are BetterZip 5 and Archiver 4.

For both programs, the RAR command line tools must be installed manually (e.g. with Homebrew).

BetterZip 5 even allows adding runtime parameters (see "Presets" on the BetterZip 5 web page) when creating archives. I use this feature for presets that create old RAR v4 archives, which were required for Hauptwerk 4, and 4 GB parts. In addition, BetterZip 5 has a QuickLook extension.

Finally, both programs are available as universal binaries and thus natively support Apple Silicon.

ldeutsch

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 5:59 pm

Although I am sure the graphical user interface applications are also fine, I have installed the command line rar and unrar programs instead. As a long-time Unix programmer (another side career) I am completely comfortable with these and I can write shell scripts to automate my workflow.

Thank you both for your help - and amazingly quick response.

Les

Return to Technical support