It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

Mac Big Sur

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

dowdds

Mac Big Sur

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:32 pm

I have been hesitant to update to MacOS 11 Big Sur, being unsure of Hauptwerk 6 and driver compatibility. Has anyone had experience with this? I am using a recent MacMini and a Focusrite 18i20 MIDI and audio interface.
Thanks.

larason2

Re: Mac Big Sur

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:40 pm

What version 18i20 do you have (1st to third generation), and is your mac mini intel or M1? Basically, it should work if you have an intel processor. If you have an M1 mac, it should still work, but you might have issues. You can check the focusrite website for more details.

mdyde

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:37 am

Hello dowdds,

To add to larason2's reply:

Hauptwerk v6 itself should work on macOS 11 ('Big Sur') on Intel-CPU Macs subject to a few minor/cosmetic known compatibility issues with macOS 11, which are listed in the 'known issues' section in the release notice:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/

The only additional issue we're aware of is that macOS 11 seems to need a bit more of the RAM for itself, so if you were almost entirely filling the RAM with an organ in an earlier macOS version, then you might need to tweak some rank memory options to so that the organ uses a bit less RAM. (Strangely, in macOS 11, if the RAM is over-filled you might get no audio output: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19665#p147468 .)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dowdds

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 12:55 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
I have Generation 2 Focusrite 18i20.
Mac Mini is 3.2 GHz 6 core Intel core i7 with 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory.
Interesting about the audio dropout if memory is overloaded. With OS Catalina, sometimes when I start Hauptwerk I get no audio (all else seems normal) but if I simply restart the Mac the audio turns on. I thought it had to do with timing as various components load.

mdyde

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks, dowdds.

dowdds wrote: With OS Catalina, sometimes when I start Hauptwerk I get no audio (all else seems normal) but if I simply restart the Mac the audio turns on. I thought it had to do with timing as various components load.

That might perhaps be a separate driver issue, or a timing issue as you suggest, if it happened even if using only small organs (i.e. if not filling the RAM).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:32 pm

Your audio interface should work with Big Sur, but you may have to download the latest version of the driver and Focusrite control. There have been some graphical issues reported if you don’t have the latest version of Focusrite control.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... 0014671940

I used to crash the audio driver routinely using Hauptwerk if memory was overfilled, and rebooting would always fix the problem. This has happened on HW4 and 5 for me, so it could definitely be the problem.

Return to Technical support