It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

Re-installed MS Windows unsure of ILok activation

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

unclegally

Re-installed MS Windows unsure of ILok activation

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Hello. I recently foolishly tried a restore point in Windows 10 and this killed the install not to be recoverable. So I created Windows 10 afresh on the same C hard disk, but it is now called something different. I have Hauptwerk 6.0 perpetual. I can see all my ILok licenses but the ILok license manager says these are all activated. What I want to do is activate them to identical PC hard drive. I don't think I should be transferring them. This applies to the HW and to the licensed sample sets. One solution could be to invest in a USB ILok stick as it seems I can transfer them to this. However, I thought if the licenses were controlled on the cloud and this requires an active internet connection then I should be free to activate them as I wish as I'm not a certified pirate. Thanks for any help.

mdyde

Re: Re-installed MS Windows unsure of ILok activation

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Hello unclegally,

If your iLok licences are currently activated to iLok Cloud then that's fine -- you can use iLok Cloud from any computer. On your new Windows installation, you should just need to make sure that iLok License Manager is installed (which can be downloaded here if needed: https://ilok.com/#!home ), then within iLok License Manager use 'File | Close All Cloud Sessions' if it isn't greyed out, then use 'File | Open Your Cloud Session'.

I.e. you can only have an iLok Cloud session open on one computer/system at a time, and you need to have one open on whichever computer/system that you want to use at the time.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

Re: Re-installed MS Windows unsure of ILok activation

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 3:21 pm

And an obvious piece of advice is to always create a backup, and not on the (main) computer At this point, once you have everything working again, invest in one or more external drive(s) to use as a backup. Memory is so cheap these days. 8)

Further, test the backup(s) to make sure they actually will work when the time comes that you just may need them. Paranoid? you bet! "Stuff" happens. Nothing like assuming everything is ok when it could have some issues (glitches).. Called the oops factor. :roll: Like that message 'Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, etc, etc'

After you finish doing the backup disconnect this external drive and place it in a secure place, most preferable off site. I actually make two backups, keeping one at home and one at another location.

And re-do one at a time after making any changes. The oldest backup is left untouched until the newest changes are verified.

I know it's an extra bother but so is trying to do a recovery without these. Been there, done it. :oops:

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support