It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 am

Saving piston settings to file

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Saving piston settings to file

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Up to now I have been using the stepper quite a lot to change my registration while playing and I have saved all the steps to the default registration file for that organ (Combs01...). However, I have just started having organ lessons again and my teacher wants me to use the pistons (mainly divisionals as this is the UK), though the organ where he teaches has several piston channels so he is happy for me to set up whatever combinations I want to use.

This is rather new to me, having been spoilt by Hauptwerk, and I find myself requiring several different piston settings depending on what kind of music I am playing. Hauptwerk lets you save these in up to 64 configuration files (Combs01... Combs02... ... Combs64...) and you can also save them under other names if you wish. However, if you want to load the combination set using a MIDI control then it has to be one of the numbered files. I have tried renaming them, but this just moves them to the bottom of the list where they have to be loaded manually from the Registration menu, and if you then rename one of them back to the default name it appears in the menu but not in the control panel.

Is there a workaround for this? I would prefer to use names that mean something to me, such as the name of a composer or piece, rather than try to remember which number refers to what (though I suppose I could write it at the top of the score).

mdyde

Re: Saving piston settings to file

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 3:04 pm

Hello Julian,

You just need to:

- Save the combination set (file) with whatever name you like. I would recommend keeping the name sufficiently short that it will fit in Hauptwerk's virtual LCD display window (which is short so that the names can also be displayed within 16-character MIDI LCD panel lines).

- Then use the 'Assign' button to assign the file to the desired 'favourite' slot number.

See the following two sections in the Hauptwerk user guide for more details:

- 'Saving and loading combination sets',
- 'Assigning and loading favorite combination sets'.

... on pages 89-92 in the current v6.0.2 version of the guide.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Thank-you, Martin. It was the assign step that I had somehow missed. That all makes perfect sense.

mdyde

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 3:10 am

Thanks, Julian. Excellent. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support