It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:54 am

Coupled pistons

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Coupled pistons

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Many English organs have a coupler to link two sets of divisional pistons (usually pedal + great or pedal + swell) so that the thumb and toe pistons operate on both. Is there any way to achieve something similar with the Hauptwerk internal pistons? For instance if I set up scoped pistons A1-A6 as operated by toe studs and acting on the pedal division, and B1-B6 as thumb pistons acting on the great, can I reversibly set them up to operate on both divisions simultaneously?

mdyde

Re: Coupled pistons

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 12:49 pm

Hello Julian,

Hauptwerk doesn't currently have 'divisional coupler' functionality for its scoped combinations (or anywhere else, unless the sample set provides that functionality itself), although it is logged as an enhancement request.

You could certainly scope any given scoped combination to affect two divisions simultaneously, but you couldn't then 'de-couple' the two divisions with a virtual switch/piston.

(You could conceivably implement some functionality yourself within MIDI encoder hardware to couple/uncouple MIDI pistons, i.e. so that either or both transmitted MIDI messages, depending on the state of a hardware switch.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Thank-you, Martin, that is more-or-less what I thought.

It has just occurred to me that you could have two combination files set up identically except for the scope of some of the pistons, and then use a couple of spare MIDI controls to load one or the other. I haven't tried it yet to see if it would work, and it seems a somewhat long-winded way of going about it.

I also wondered whether there is anything you can do with floating divisions, but I don't think the internal HW pistons float.

mdyde

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks, Julian.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I also wondered whether there is anything you can do with floating divisions, but I don't think the internal HW pistons float.

Correct -- the scoped combinations don't 'float', so I don't think that would help you, unfortunately.

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:It has just occurred to me that you could have two combination files set up identically except for the scope of some of the pistons, and then use a couple of spare MIDI controls to load one or the other. I haven't tried it yet to see if it would work, and it seems a somewhat long-winded way of going about it.

Yes -- you could potentially do that.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support