It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

When does IR on a bus use CPU time?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

When does IR on a bus use CPU time?

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 4:06 pm

If I have IR on several groups of mixer buses, but the current organ's ranks are only routed to some of the buses, do the IRs on the unused buses run active reverb computations?

This is about possibly setting up all my IR variants (dry, Caen, Freiberg, Izola, Maximin, Zwolle) on their own ranges of primary bus numbers in the same mixer preset, and routing each organ to one range. I wouldn't want to do that if the unused buses for the current organ were to cost CPU overhead by existing.

In case no IR is needed, setting the wetness scalar to 0 prevents IR computations.

(Yes, using different mixer presets would solve it for dry and up to 7 IRs, but I've already done more scrolling past 1024 buses in the list than I care to. The presets' primary buses are just too far apart in the list.)

Thanks.

mdyde

Re: When does IR on a bus use CPU time?

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:21 am

Hello Mark,

The convolver will only use CPU time for any given bus if a reverb is assigned to the bus *and* the wetness is non-zero *and* while any non-silent audio is actively playing through that bus. Hence it would do no harm to assign reverbs to buses to which you aren't routing audio for an organ, or if you've turned the master reverb wetness slider down to zero for the organ.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:45 am

Thank you, Martin. That's how I was hoping it would work!

mdyde

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 8:25 am

Thanks, Mark. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

jerrymartin

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 11:10 am

I want to thank mnailer for coming up with this creative idea, and Martin for making this possible.

I have similarly set up "one preset to rule them all", following as a baseline Hauptwerk's default routing for primary busses 1-5 (so when I load up a new set it will play "out of the box" in stereo), and then separate mixer bus groups for individual primary busses with their own reverbs or routing

The neat thing is these settings are now saved with the organ that is loaded (it means a little more work for each organ with the rank/3d routing screen, but well worth it!)

A very flexible arrangement indeed!!

Thanks guys!!!

Jerry

(I'm currently enjoying the Masterworks skinner routed through several layers of Martinikerk reverb to simulate what the modern samplers are doing with dry/close/diffuse/rear perspectives - very very effective indeed!)
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

mdyde

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am

Thanks, Jerry. Excellent.

(We do also aim to increase the number of available mixer presets in the future too.)
Best regards, Martin.

mnailor

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm

Jerry:

I really stole the idea from others on the forum, but I'm too lazy to search for the source posts and give them credit.

This did turn out well, thanks to Martin doing a great job. I ended up with using one building's IRs per preset (waiting for copy/paste presets to expand on that), so I can use the same bus group numbers on all organs and simply change the preset number and wetness scalar slider position to move an organ to a different building.

Within a preset, I have two primary buses for each real speaker pair: Dry and Wet. The Wet buses have an IR appropriate to the speaker position. These are grouped into bus groups by speaker model: Front A3X Dry, Front A3X Wet, Front A8X Dry, Front A8X Wet, Rear T7V Dry, Rear T7V Wet, Rear KRK Dry, and Rear KRK Wet (, and an Oxford comma).

A surround set with enough reverb -- Caen, Nancy, Oloron, St. Michel -- routes to the obvious Dry groups, no IR added. That's most of the samplesets I still have installed.

A surround set that's too dry for me -- Oakland, Portland -- routes to Wet groups after truncating releases to 17.8 msec or whatever I can land on with the slider. (Wish 100 were release truncation off so it would be easier to hit the minimum duration.) Sometimes I keep the releases on Front or Rear and route them to Dry, truncate the other releases and send them to Wet.

A stereo set with enough reverb -- Salisbury, Metz -- routes to Front Dry groups, then perspective 3 gets releases truncated and routed to Rear Wet groups.

A stereo set that's too dry for me or has single releases -- Mt. Carmel, S. Suffolk, Georgian 55 -- gets releases truncated and routed to Front Wet groups, then perspective 3 gets releases truncated and routed to Rear Wet groups.

This all works without a lot of hassle.
Mark

jerrymartin

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 9:51 am

A brief update, and a video!

Thank you all again for helpful tips and tricks here on the forum. I have really enjoyed playing around with the mixer as I have come to terms with it, and kudos to Team Hauptwerk for providign multi-perspective IRs with the Out-of-the Box Advanced edition (Church 01). I also enjoy some of the additional IRs from Sonus Paradisi.

I made a video which shares my knowledge such as it is over these past few years, and hopefully folk might find it a useful walkthrough about setting up a multi-channel virtual accoustic using multiple IRs to mix down to a stereo bus.

https://youtu.be/RM0GgieUn9w

Thanks everyone,

Jerry
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

mdyde

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks again, Jerry.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support