It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

Hereford XL and 'all pistons next'

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mkc1

Hereford XL and 'all pistons next'

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to use the 'all pistons next' function with Hereford XL and I'm finding that it works with the Solo, Choir, and General pistons but not with the Great and Swell pistons. I'm assuming maybe these are defined unusually internally because of the facilities to couple the great and pedal pistons together and also to assign the generals to the swell foot pistons? Is there a way to get these to trigger the sequencer when 'all pistons next' is engaged without giving up the other functionalities I've mentioned?
Thanks!

mnailor

Re: Hereford XL and 'all pistons next'

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 pm

I think all pistons next is only supposed to work on Hauptwerk master pistons. It may be accidental that it happens to work on some of Hereford's native pistons. You do mean "all pistons stpr + 1", right?

mkc1

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 pm

mnailor wrote:I think all pistons next is only supposed to work on Hauptwerk master pistons. It may be accidental that it happens to work on some of Hereford's native pistons. You do mean "all pistons stpr + 1", right?

Yes, I mean all pistons stpr + 1. The manual says
Whilst that function is on (lit), triggering any master combination piston (except for the setter, scope, master general cancel, stepper -1, and stepper 000 pistons) or organ divisional or general combination piston (depending on an organ preference), increments Hauptwerk's master general stepper frame number, instead of the piston's usual function.

So, if in the organ preferences panel 'All pistons trigger stepper + 1 mode only affects master combinations' is checked, it behaves as you describe. If it is unchecked, as mine is, the documentation suggests is should also affect organ divisional or general pistons.

mdyde

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 3:54 am

Hello Michael,

For Hauptwerk's master "all pistons stpr +1" to affect (substitute) any given one of an organ's native divisional pistons, within the organ's organ definition (ODF):

- The Combination.CombinationTypeCode for the combination should be set to indicate that the combination is a divisional. (That attribute was introduced in Hauptwerk v4.1.0, but it isn't mandatory, for backward compatibility with sample sets created in formats prior to v4.1.0.)

- If no Combination.CombinationTypeCode has been specified but the combination's activating switch has been assigned one of the function codes (Switch.DefaultInputOutputSwitchAsgnCode) for a divisional combination, then Hauptwerk will also assume the combination is a divisional.

- If neither of those applies, but the Combination.Name contains the text 'div', but not 'canc', then Hauptwerk will also assume that it's a divisional.

I.e. the organ definition needs to indicate that the combination is actually a divisional. Organ definitions' divisionals do normally do that but perhaps in the case of the Hereford XL David (Lavender Audio) had some special reason not to do so for those particular pistons (e.g. related to the way it implements its divisional coupler functionality, as you mentioned), or conceivably he simply forgot!

Hence please contact David to see whether he wants to make an ODF patch to address it, pointng him to this reply. (Probably he just needs to specify Combination.CombinationTypeCode.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mkc1

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Michael,
[...]
Hence please contact David to see whether he wants to make an ODF patch to address it, pointng him to this reply. (Probably he just needs to specify Combination.CombinationTypeCode.)

Thank you very much, Martin. I've sent an email to David with the relevant information.
Michael

mdyde

PostThu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 am

Thanks, Michael. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support