It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

Contrebombarde volume issues?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

B777Captain

Contrebombarde volume issues?

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello Martin:

I’m wondering if you can tell me why it seems my volume of recordings on Contrebombarde is distinctively lower than any other recordings on Contrebombarde?

I have to turn the volume up to max on my computer or headphones in order to have it be the same level of volume as all other Contrebombarde pieces.

Can you please tell me why this is? Please compare this recording I made and then use any other recording for comparison on volume.

https://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/48280

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

Re: Contrebombarde volume issues?

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 7:25 pm

In the mixer, the bus that you have set to record audio has a recording level adjust that should change the volume of your recordings. By default that would be master bus 1, but you may have set other buses to record.

Further, if you look at your primary buses which send to your recording master bus, there's a send level for each. You might check those levels to see if they are negative.

Please see page 204 of the user guide.

B777Captain

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 10:32 pm

Thanks Mark….

There are 3 types of buses. I chose the very first one on that list which said master 1, so I can only assume it was correct. Then I found the audio control and it was set at a default (?) of 0 and I raised it to 6. Does that sound reasonable for the correct action to take (provided I found the right bus of several dozen to pick from?

Second…. How can I play back a song I recorded using the HW software to hear it on my speakers as if I was playing it. The file that comes out after I finish a piece is a .wav file. It won’t play back nor will it be found where my downloads of music I recorded should go (for some reason).

So when I go to “Load” under the Midi section there is no midi file to be found to play back. So how do I actually make the file of my recording… a .mid file? I had thought all these years it was automatic… but evidently it’s not.

Thanks

PS…. Boy, you guys who know this stuff and can fix all this should be multi millionaires because it takes a special skill not only to understand the way to complicated complexities of this whole HW thing, but to have the patience and the desire to want to know how it all works. God Love ya all!!!!!!

When the littleist thiing goes wrong in any HW environment…. You can go down a rabbit hole and NEVER surface to be seen again by living beings. If it didn’t give me so much pleasure in hearing these mighty cathedral organs in my own living room…. I would have set fire to my whole entire system out of pure aggravation and frustration years ago….. and I know darn well, I’m not the ONLY one who thinks that!!!!!

Or to put it more in terms I understand….. I would much rather fly a sick B777 with an engine fire down to a safe landing with 400 people on board than tackle these insane HW issues that are just meant for Tech Geniuses and no one else. Can you tell my thoughts about this whole system of what is HW????????
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 10:53 pm

The correct bus -- the one that's recording the .wav file -- is the bus that has a check mark in the box beside "Record audio?". It's probably master bus 1, but please make sure by looking for that box to be checked.

To the right of that, the "Level adjust (dB):" value is what controls the recording volume for the .wav file.

See the picture on page 149 or 204 of the user guide for version 6.0.2. Earlier versions have it but the page numbers may differ.

To play back a .wav file, you need a media player like Windows Media Player or many other apps that can play WAV format files. I would copy the file to a USB stick and play it on another machine, because allowing other apps access to your HW PC's audio can open up troubles like Windows sounds blatting loudly from your organ speakers. That can be very unpleasant and make one fall off the bench...

If you want to hear your playing on your HW audio system, record MIDI, and HW can play it back. The user guide has a chapter on recording audio and MIDI. Audio recording starts on page 148, and MIDI recording and playback on page 151. Audio files can't play back through HW, MIDI files can.

mdyde

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 3:49 am

Hello Pat,

The only other point that I would add to Mark's very comprehensive explanations (thanks very much, Mark) is that you could potentially also adjust the levels of audio files that you might already have recorded by loading them in an audio editor such as the freeware Audacity ( https://www.audacityteam.org/ ) and using the appropriate function within the audio editor (e.g. 'Effect | Amplify ...' in Audacity's case, but please see the audio editor's documentation for more detailed instructions if needed).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 5:03 am

Hello Pat,

P.S. Regarding the difference between audio and MIDI files, and how to play back MIDI files so that they play through your normal Hauptwerk speakers, please see also one of your previous topics here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19898&p=149294#p149291

mdyde wrote:
B777Captain wrote:I thought I read here from someone on my post I thought I wrote earlier…. That I needed to play it back thru midi to have it utilize all speakers and sound like it does when actually playing the piece. I’m uploading it using MIDI to play, but an odd program comes up to start playing it (Groove Music????) and it only plays thru the two smallish rear speakers.

MIDI files are different to audio files in that MIDI files record the *actions* that occur (which notes are played on which manuals, etc.), not the audio that those actions produce. MIDI files need to be played by an appropriate application (e.g. Hauptwerk, in the case of MIDI files recorded from Hauptwerk) in order that you actually hear the intended sound from them.

To open MIDI files that you've recorded from Hauptwerk, on Hauptwerk's MIDI Recorder/Player large control panel, click the MIDI file: Load ...' button, browse to and select your MIDI file, then click the 'MIDI:' play button (the one with the green arrow on it).

Hauptwerk itself can only play back MIDI files -- not audio files. You need to use a separate audio player application for playing audio files (as Mark mentioned).

Also, as discussed in that topic, in order to record MIDI files you need to have the 'Record MIDI' option ticked (as it is by default) on the Recorder/Player large control panel.
Best regards, Martin.

B777Captain

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Mark and Martin.

Thank you for your continued help.

What perplexes me are still two fold:

1. When I record a midi file… where does it go? I can’t seem to find any .mid file anwhere. So for example…. If I played 3 pieces in 1 week…and decided I wanted to hear the first piece I recorded using midi, where do I find that file?

2. How can I tell those midi files I’ve recorded… where to go? There is seemingly no option for this?!?

3. “Arm MIDI recording” is checked.

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 8:07 pm

From the user guide's chapter on recording, the Recording menu has a Browse function for finding and renaming the files you've recorded:

"If you wish you can also browse to the recorded MIDI file using Recording | Browse/rename/delete recorded audio/MIDI files and rename the file to give it a more meaningful filename, or delete or move it."

B777Captain

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 10:24 pm

Hi Mark…

I eventually found out how to direct the recordings to a file…. It was just in a place I was not looking but I did find it.

Thank you Mark and to Martin for the great help!

Mark you should be part of the HW team for Technical Assistance!! I would put in a strong recommendation for you!!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mnailor

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 10:35 pm

Happily retired, thank you! I like not knowing what day of the week it is.

mdyde

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 3:18 am

Thanks, Pat.

If you want to change the folder into which audio and MIDI files get saved use the 'Recording | Choose folder for recorded audio/MIDI files' menu function.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support