It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

Hauptwerk stopped responding to fixed MIDI implementation

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

aah

Hauptwerk stopped responding to fixed MIDI implementation

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 8:10 am

I have been using the "MIDI recorder/player fixed predefined MIDI implementation (for this organ)" for years and it has always worked, until now, suddenly it no longer works. Hauptwerk is not responding to NRPN messages sent to select stops.

- the NRPNs /are/ being sent, on the right port and channel, as they have been for years
- reconfiguring the MIDI settings in Hauptwerk changes nothing, they are correct
- setting up the Keyboards for this organ in Hauptwerk changes nothing, they are correct
- restarting Hauptwerk, restarting the computer changes nothing, it all looks correct

So, I'm really stumped here. Thanks for your help.

[ EDIT: I should have mentioned that note messages sent do work, it's the /NRPNs/ which no longer work ]
[ EDIT 2: I should also mention, this is HW 6 Advanced Perpetual license. Also, I did notice the way this used to work in HW4 has changed and I did search through the HW6 documentation but found no solution. The NRPNs have been working in HW6 fine until now, for apparently no reason it no longer works. ]

aah

Re: Hauptwerk stopped responding to fixed MIDI implementatio

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 9:09 am

Well guess what, I found it!

At the /very bottom/ of the MIDI Ports configuration list, is "Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN (advanced use)" which somehow became unticked. I never unticked it, oh well. Ticking that box in the appropriate column made it work again.

A small suggestion: it would be helpful if the words used in the menu, in this row in the MIDI Ports list, and in the documentation would all agree. That way I could have found the solution in the documentation instead of stumbling around by accident.

I hope maybe this helps someone else some time.

Thanks and happy organ playing everyone.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 9:12 am

Hello aah,

Please first try shutting the computer down, then turning off the mains power entirely (at the wall) to your computer and all of your MIDI hardware, including all USB devices/hubs, MIDI interfaces, MIDI console, and all other computer/MIDI/USB hardware, etc. Make sure that there is no power to anything at all.

Wait at least 60 seconds, then turn the power back on to everything, wait at least 60 seconds, then boot the computer, log in, then wait at least a couple more minutes (to make sure that everything has had time to boot fully), then launch Hauptwerk.

Then go to the 'General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI IN ports' screen tab, and make sure that the relevant MIDI port (column) is (still) ticked in the 'Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN' row [scroll down the screen to find it], and that the MIDI port (column) isn't showing an 'offline' suffix.

Does that solve it?

[Edit: P.S. I see we both replied at the same time.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 9:27 am

Hello again aah,

(I see we both replied at the same time.)

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear you have it working again now.

aah wrote:At the /very bottom/ of the MIDI Ports configuration list, is "Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN (advanced use)" which somehow became unticked. I never unticked it, oh well. Ticking that box in the appropriate column made it work again.

Just for reference: [aside from reverting all settings to defaults, or restoring a settings backup, or using the General Configuration Wizard to reset MIDI settings], an entry in the grid on the MIDI ports screen would only untick itself if, when you launched Hauptwerk, the operating system was reporting that the relevant MIDI port wasn't present, and when prompted that the MIDI device was missing you chose the option to clear MIDI settings relating to the missing device. Hence perhaps that particular MIDI device wasn't powered up when you launched Hauptwerk, or the operating system didn't find it for some reason.

aah wrote:A small suggestion: it would be helpful if the words used in the menu, in this row in the MIDI Ports list, and in the documentation would all agree. That way I could have found the solution in the documentation instead of stumbling around by accident.

The user guide does actually cover that, e.g. in the 'Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' section, on page 285 in the current v6.0.2 version. It's also covered within the text of the first section of the document that the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' menu function shows.

Anyway, glad to hear you have it's working now.
Best regards, Martin.

aah

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 am

Hello Martin,

Thanks very much for your thorough and helpful response, and sorry for the bother!

mdyde wrote:... an entry in the grid on the MIDI ports screen would only untick itself if, when you launched Hauptwerk, the operating system was reporting that the relevant MIDI port wasn't present, and when prompted that the MIDI device was missing you chose the option to clear MIDI settings relating to the missing device.

Yes, quite right and thanks, that is what happened, a couple of weeks ago, I remember it now. In the mean time I hadn't needed this functionality so I didn't notice the problem.

mdyde wrote:
aah wrote:A small suggestion: it would be helpful if the words used in the menu, in this row in the MIDI Ports list, and in the documentation would all agree. That way I could have found the solution in the documentation instead of stumbling around by accident.

The user guide does actually cover that, e.g. in the 'Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' section, on page 285 in the current v6.0.2 version. It's also covered within the text of the first section of the document that the 'Recording | View Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player fixed, predefined MIDI implementation' menu function shows.

Yes, thank you, I do see that now, but I had read both of those pages and it was not clear to me what needed to happen to make this work. It's helpful to tell the user exactly what to do and where to go to do it, for example:

To use this feature you must go to General Settings > MIDI Ports ..., find ‘Hauptwerk MIDI recorder/player external MIDI IN (advanced use)' and tick the box to connect input port you want to use for external control.

By words agreeing I mean things like the fact that "(advanced use)" doesn't appear in the manual but it appears in the window.

Thanks again and best regards.

mdyde

PostMon Oct 04, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks, again, aah.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support