It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:03 pm

Importing St. Stephen's Anglican into HW2

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

BachsFugue

Importing St. Stephen's Anglican into HW2

PostSun Feb 11, 2007 4:52 pm

Something strange has happened while trying to import the St. Stephen's organ into version 2. The initial step (Importing version 1 organ...) goes well. When I try to load that organ into Hauptwerk 2, it seems to stall before the Rank Audio Output Routing screen only with the MIDI Sequencer version. The Stand Alone version proceeds with loading the organ.

Since my console is not operable at the moment, I want to use the MIDI Sequencer implementation. Oddly enough, there seems to be a cache file written for both the Stand Alone and the MIDI Sequencer versions. The latter file (the one that doesn't work) seems to be quite a bit larger. Needless to say, I am perplexed.

I've looked into the log file and there are many references to objects no longer existing. Something has gone haywire. Help!
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

mdyde

PostMon Feb 12, 2007 8:03 am

Hello Cole,

I've logged the following known bug entry:

---

HW2-000476: Imported v1 organs can be slow to load for the first time and their organ-specific settings can be lost/overwritten if importing from multiple configurations alternately.

Hauptwerk identifies each organ by an ID number, which is globally unique across all sample sets and organs. All organ-specific settings for the organ are stored relative to that ID number to enable Hauptwerk to identify which settings relate to the organ. For sample sets in the native version 2 sample format that ID number is assigned centrally by Crumhorn Labs to guarantee uniqueness. However, the Hauptwerk version 1 format did not have any means of identifying organs uniquely since Hauptwerk version 1 did not have any organ-specific settings. Hence when a version 1 organ is imported into version 2, Hauptwerk must generate a new ID number to identify it so that settings can be saved for it. It attempts to ensure that the number is unique by assigning IDs incrementally for each imported version 1 organ from within a range of numbers reserved from the purpose. The last-allocated ID number used for importing version 1 organs is stored internally in the global settings for each Hauptwerk configuration (stand-alone, MIDI sequencer or VSTi). However, if you reinstall Hauptwerk, revert some but not all of its settings (which can happen if you use Windows System Restore), or import version 1 organs from multiple configurations alternately, the last-allocated ID number for the configuration may no longer be accurate, causing an imported version 1 organ to be assigned an ID number that had previously been assigned to another version 1 organ. The effect of this is that the organ may be very slow to load the first time after it has been imported and its organ-specific settings may be incorrect. To prevent this happening in the case where version 1 organs are imported from multiple configurations, we will change the ID generation mechanism to be shared between all configurations and make it attempt to detect the existence of any previous settings that may have been stored for a previously-generated ID. In the meantime, as a work-around, please ensure that you only import version 1 organs using a single configuration. For example, always use the 'Hauptwerk (stand-alone)' short-cut to launch Hauptwerk when importing a version 1 organ. Once imported you can load the organ as usual in any configuration. If you have already encountered this problem, after importing please load the organ for the first time using 'Design tools | Load organ (with design options)' and tick all options except 'Do not save calculated samples to cache after loading from source samples'. Doing so will reset all organ-specific settings stored for the organ ID assigned to the imported version 1 organ.

Product version introduced: 02.10
Product version fixed in: No fix yet available
Priority: Low

---

Please use the above work-around for now. My apologies for the bug.

Best regards,
Martin.

BachsFugue

PostMon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Thank you, Martin. I'll try it tomorrow.

I am truly amazed whenever you give us help. The number of variables and details leaves me with the expectation that you simply cannot have prepared for every instance of Hauptwerk users' whims. You don't need to apologize to me or to any of us. The instances of perceived foul-ups in Hauptwerk are due, for the most part, to our fumbling in the dark!

Thank you for your marvelous service and your wonderful program.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

Return to Technical support